General Discussion Race Reports! » Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k - Run5k

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Palmyra, Pennsylvania
United States
37F / 3C
Sunny
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = 512/1350
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 42/178
Pre-race routine:

Got to the race about an hour before the start. We received emails on Tuesday stating that the race will start an hour later than originally planned because of needing to plow parking lots and because of potential of black ice (it snowed Wed.). Picked up my packet and shirt, then went back to the car to sit in the warm until the race started. Ate a packet of Stinger chews. Breakfast was a banana English muffin with PB at the house before I left and some iced tea.

LT came to watch me and another friend race and brought me a Reese's tree and diet Dr. Pepper! She's the best! She hung with me in the car until it was time to head out for a warm-up. She had planned on racing but couldn't because of some medical issues.
Event warmup:

Ran a nice, easy pace down to the ice rink and back, maybe a half mile. Dynamic stretching, high legs, etc.
Run
  • 29m 38s
  • 5 kms
  • 05m 56s  min/km
Comments:

I had a goal from weeks back to make a new 5K PR at this race. I beat my old PR at this race last year with a 31:02, and felt confident I could land a race in the 30s. I knew what pace I wanted to stay near, so let's see what happens!

They have people marking pace groups for organization purposes (the pace marker holders don't run) so I plunked myself in the 9:00-9:59 group. It felt good to be there, back in the range I used to run in in a previous life!

The race began and of course it was a slow slog to the line, which doesn't matter because of the chip timing and I'm not in contention for the top awards (which go by gun times) anyway. I picked my way through errant walkers and slower folk, and of course got passed some, too. Finally found a decent group and didn't have to jostle as much.

As I passed the first mile, I saw Santa in his convertable VW bug, and the turkey in his classic, vintage convertable (not sure what the make is, and I didn't take the time to look), and shortly after that the first place runner who they were leading in! Speedy fellow!

I stayed on my pace and tried to run the tangents in the neighborhood and managed to pass a few people in doing so. After mile 2, breathing began to be a problem. My dang vocal cord dysfunction was making itself known. I tried very hard to do the tricks and techniques to help fend it off/actually intake air, and it was taking a lot of concentration. I may have backed off just a bit to try to get things under control, but I didn't back off much. I had a goal in mind, and as long as I was getting some air, I was going to keep pushing. I had looked at my watch and saw the 30s was a reality!

I told myself I could back down just a little until I hit 2.6 miles, then I wanted to ramp it back up and finish strong. Rounding the turn toward the finish (maybe the last .2 miles?) I really pushed. I glanced at my watch again and saw it was in the 28s, and thought, "Holy cow, I might finish in the 29s!" and kept pushing. To my own dismay, I did finish in the 29s and was stoked! I'm getting closer to my PR from my mid-20s, which was 27 or 28 something.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, I'm really pleased with my result!
Post race
Warm down:

Gasped for breath, hands on knees, then after I recovered I walked to find LT and gave her a big hug! Got a water, walked back to the car for my jacket and warm-up pants, then went back to see if I won the raffle. (I didn't) Got my picture with Coco, the Hershey Bears' mascot.

I also bought 2 cupcakes (banana nutella and apple something or other) from the food truck. I really wanted to buy a grilled cheese sammich but didn't want to ruin dinner later. I saved the cupcackes for the evening and the next day.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My vocal cord dysfunction. Legs felt great, I just couldn't get enough air.

Event comments:

In previous years, I enjoyed doing this race to support the youth hockey team. This year, the recipient of the fundraising was the sled hockey team, so I was even more amped about helping out by racing and donating.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2014-10-31 12:00 AM
Running
00:29:38 | 05 kms | 05m 56s  min/km
Age Group: 42/178
Overall: 512/1350
Performance: Good
Course: Flat and fast through nearby neighborhoods, essentially a lollipop, albeit a deformed lollipop.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2014-12-01 4:36 PM

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k

2014-12-01 5:16 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: RE: Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k

Yay, Melanie!!  Great job on this race!!  PR and in the 29's--WOOOOT!!  You totally earned those yummy cupcakes (and the Reese's and diet soda). 

Edited by laffinrock 2014-12-01 5:18 PM
2014-12-02 1:37 PM
in reply to: #5071166

User image

Regular
Caerphilly, Wales, uk.
Loving the socks, and the PR. ONWARDS AND UPWARDS.
2014-12-02 1:59 PM
in reply to: Richardsdrr

User image

Seattle

Holy shyte dude, back to the 20s in age AND time!!!!!! So awesome!!!! I think you can lifetime PR.

I love how nonchalant you mentioned, "As I passed the first mile, I saw Santa in his convertable VW bug, and the turkey in his classic, vintage convertible"

2014-12-02 2:08 PM
in reply to: #5071166

User image

Master
Englewood, Florida

AWESOME!!!!! Great job on pushing all the way through this one and setting a newPR. It will be really cool watching you go after that next.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sticks & Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5K

Started by melbo55
Views: 1349 Posts: 8

2013-12-02 6:15 PM Asalzwed

Sticks and Biscuits Thanksgiving Day 5k

Started by melbo55
Views: 1067 Posts: 5

2012-11-27 1:22 PM kgore

Sticks and Biscuits

Started by triandtri
Views: 646 Posts: 1

2011-12-02 10:27 AM triandtri

Ayer Fire Department Thanksgiving Day 5K

Started by MAtriMom
Views: 1037 Posts: 6

2005-11-29 8:48 PM max

San Diego Thanksgiving Day 5K

Started by dhyte
Views: 1249 Posts: 1

2004-11-25 1:04 PM dhyte
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
comments : 2
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.