BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 52

2014-12-30 4:50 PM
in reply to: bob stout

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member
Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--OPEN!

Originally posted by bob stout

I would like to join group I am 70 have done some tri last couple yrs have ran 5k 10k would like to get back to Sprint " not sure how to join thanks name is Bob looking for motivation. setting up trainitraining. this week had trouble in swim few yrs ago so now. have to get past head game want to lose some weight and feel better. Will start posting. train soon thanks

Hello Bob!

When you get a chance, post up a short bio so we can get to know a little about you.

Welcome to the group.  If past seasons are any guide, you will find a pretty diverse group here and a pretty substantial amount of experience.

What was the problem you had with the swim? 

2014-12-30 5:44 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Stuartap

Scott I am familiar with Jeff Galloway. I will dig in to his methods more as I move forward. My surgeon gave me two requirements if I am going to do an IM.

1. I need to change from a current heal strike to something less jarring on the joints. He suggested Chi style but really anything that is more of a glide than the pounding I have been doing.

2. I only get 1 marathon so that will be at the end of my IM. After that he wants me to move to Aqua/Bike events.

The first one will be the hard one for me. Learning how to run in a whole new style is proving harder than it sounds. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have been running the way I do now for 59 years. I will get there though.

The second one I am ok with. Since I don't like running anyway and I love to swim and bike, once I finish my IM I am good with dropping the run.

Looking forward to getting back to it.

Hey Stuart,

I mentioned Jeff Galloway because obviously you are going to have to get some miles on your legs if you hope to complete a marathon.  My thought was that a run-walk approach may lessen the impact during the training runs more than during the actual race.  Although, this past year in Kona, Sebastian Kienle walked every one of the aid stations and won the race so it is a viable race plan also .  As to how many training miles, you are likely going to be up to 2.5-3 hour long runs or 18-20 miles, depending upon whether you use time or mileage to guide your training.  That's just the long run.  Depending upon what methodology and/or plan you use, you may be running 3-5 times per week.  Some plans even more.  That would likely put your total minimum weekly mileage at your peak upwards of 30-40 miles per week.  You will build up to that over time but there is going to be a cumulative effect - hence a run-walk approach.  Some may argue you don't need that much mileage, others will advocate more miles, suffice to say you aren't going to successfully do a marathon with 5 miles per week.

Clearly changing your run style away from a heel strike will be beneficial.  When I started seriously running a couple years ago I was definitely a heel striker.  I got with a coach and in a pretty short period of time I was able to change over to a fore-foot strike.  That has made a huge difference in my pace as well as the wear and tear on body. I think it only took a few runs before the new style began to feel comfortable and another three or four weeks before I didn't have to think about it so it can be done.

You're targeting IMAZ 2016 which is 22 months away so you have plenty of time.  If it were me, I would spend the next several months slowly working on my run base and VERY gradually add miles.  Simultaneously I'd be working on swim/bike.  Then you will have the foundation for when you start adding miles and intensity down the road.  As I said earlier, I would give strong consideration to a run-walk approach to help lessen the impact.

One final thought, and I will definitely be interested in Steve's thoughts on this, there is a run program out there known as "Run Less, Run Faster."  At first glance it seems as though it may be the answer to running a marathon while running less mileage in training.  In my opinion, and I am certainly NOT a running coach, the problem is that the run less run faster plan achieves the lower mileage by raising the intensity.  That raises the question of which is harder on the joints, the intensity or the mileage?  I can't answer that except to say I have heard accounts from a number of people here on the BT forums that they ended up with injuries using run less, run faster approach and they attribute those injuries to the higher intensity.  Just sayin' as this is one of those "buyer beware" type of things.

You have your doctors clearance so take it slow, add mileage gradually, listen to your body, allow proper rest and recovery time, and you will do fine.

2014-12-30 6:03 PM
in reply to: Kris67

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by Kris67

I would like to join again, even though my tri-age in 2015 will only be 48, I have more gray hair than I want, plus I enjoyed this group last year (winter/spring) .  . .

Weight loss-as mentioned, I started a low carb diet with my spouse in late Oct, and probably went a little too low for my activity level, as I really dragged on my workouts, so I added more carbs back, but still low compared to most people, and that helped. I lost the 6 or so pounds that I had gained off and on, but I still have about 5 pounds, in specific areas that I would like to lose . . .

Thanks, Kristen

Kris,

It will be nice to have you back in the group!

"My tri-age in 2015 will only be 48."  Oh sure!  Rub it in!  Perhaps we should give you a seat at the kids table!  

On a serious note, you mentioned that you started a low carb diet.  A couple years ago I dabbled with the Atkins diet.  Yes, I lost a lot of weight very quickly.  I also learned, very quickly, that "low carb" really should have no place in a triathlete's vocabulary.  Like you, I was dragging during workouts.  I was also dragging all the other times.  I won't go through all of the issues the diet cause but it was enough that I moved away from low carb, high fat/protein to a more traditional diet.  In short, I found that eating the right things at the right time has done more for me than Atkins ever did and has me feeling better and able to perform athletically.  I shop around the perimeter of the store, eat something as soon as I get up, and then eat something every 2.5 to three hours throughout the day.  Just the voice of experience sharing something for you to think about.

2014-12-30 6:10 PM
in reply to: bswcpa

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by bswcpa

I'd love to join this time around if you'll have me. I posted a couple times in the spring thinking I'd join you gray folks but the mentor group I'd been part of for years decided at the last minute to go again so I felt beholden to them.   They're now switched to a Facebook group so I'd like a place on BT to land.  I'll be 56 in 2015 and I definitely have plenty of gray so I qualify.      I'll post my bio once I get the nod. 

Hi Brenda,

Welcome!

What part of Indiana are you in?  "Home" for me is Deputy, Indiana.  Down by Paris Crossing near Madison.

2014-12-30 6:19 PM
in reply to: ShellyLee

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by ShellyLee

Hi (again) - tried to post earlier, apologies if double posted. Just in case, I'll keep this short.

I'm Shelly (screen name ShellyLee), and would love to join this group.

I am a total beginner, although have been a runner for many years (mostly 5k, 10k, and half marathons). I started swimming regularly this summer, and really love it, so thought I'd try to give a triathlon a go.

Thanks!

Shelly,

Welcome.  The group is definitely beginning to take on an international flavor with people from three different continents!

We all started as beginners and we have a pretty good group of people here who will be happy to answer any questions you may have.

When you get a chance, post a brief bio so we can get to know you just a bit.

2014-12-30 8:59 PM
in reply to: k9car363

User image

Extreme Veteran
Silicon Valley
Originally posted by k9car363

Scott I am familiar with Jeff Galloway. I will dig in to his methods more as I move forward. My surgeon gave me two requirements if I am going to do an IM.

1. I need to change from a current heal strike to something less jarring on the joints. He suggested Chi style but really anything that is more of a glide than the pounding I have been doing.

2. I only get 1 marathon so that will be at the end of my IM. After that he wants me to move to Aqua/Bike events.

The first one will be the hard one for me. Learning how to run in a whole new style is proving harder than it sounds. Maybe it has something to do with the fact that I have been running the way I do now for 59 years. I will get there though.

The second one I am ok with. Since I don't like running anyway and I love to swim and bike, once I finish my IM I am good with dropping the run.

Looking forward to getting back to it.

Hey Stuart,

I mentioned Jeff Galloway because obviously you are going to have to get some miles on your legs if you hope to complete a marathon.  My thought was that a run-walk approach may lessen the impact during the training runs more than during the actual race.  Although, this past year in Kona, Sebastian Kienle walked every one of the aid stations and won the race so it is a viable race plan also .  As to how many training miles, you are likely going to be up to 2.5-3 hour long runs or 18-20 miles, depending upon whether you use time or mileage to guide your training.  That's just the long run.  Depending upon what methodology and/or plan you use, you may be running 3-5 times per week.  Some plans even more.  That would likely put your total minimum weekly mileage at your peak upwards of 30-40 miles per week.  You will build up to that over time but there is going to be a cumulative effect - hence a run-walk approach.  Some may argue you don't need that much mileage, others will advocate more miles, suffice to say you aren't going to successfully do a marathon with 5 miles per week.

Clearly changing your run style away from a heel strike will be beneficial.  When I started seriously running a couple years ago I was definitely a heel striker.  I got with a coach and in a pretty short period of time I was able to change over to a fore-foot strike.  That has made a huge difference in my pace as well as the wear and tear on body. I think it only took a few runs before the new style began to feel comfortable and another three or four weeks before I didn't have to think about it so it can be done.

You're targeting IMAZ 2016 which is 22 months away so you have plenty of time.  If it were me, I would spend the next several months slowly working on my run base and VERY gradually add miles.  Simultaneously I'd be working on swim/bike.  Then you will have the foundation for when you start adding miles and intensity down the road.  As I said earlier, I would give strong consideration to a run-walk approach to help lessen the impact.

One final thought, and I will definitely be interested in Steve's thoughts on this, there is a run program out there known as "Run Less, Run Faster."  At first glance it seems as though it may be the answer to running a marathon while running less mileage in training.  In my opinion, and I am certainly NOT a running coach, the problem is that the run less run faster plan achieves the lower mileage by raising the intensity.  That raises the question of which is harder on the joints, the intensity or the mileage?  I can't answer that except to say I have heard accounts from a number of people here on the BT forums that they ended up with injuries using run less, run faster approach and they attribute those injuries to the higher intensity.  Just sayin' as this is one of those "buyer beware" type of things.

You have your doctors clearance so take it slow, add mileage gradually, listen to your body, allow proper rest and recovery time, and you will do fine.

Good advise Scott, thanks. What I have been looking at for the short term is to focus more on my swimming and cycling during the next few months to get the weight down to where I want it. I will limit my running to a treadmill maybe two days a week. The treadmill has a bit more give to it so not as harsh on the body. I don't know how the retraining of the foot strike will translate to a treadmill but I will give it a go.

Then by around March begin to run both a bit farther and add a day. I am hoping to get in an Oly or two in season and then if it feels ok try a HIM either late this year or early in 2016. One of the advantages of living on the west coast. I do have several late year race options.

2014-12-30 9:18 PM
in reply to: Stuartap

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

One of the advantages of living on the west coast. I do have several late year race options.

Absolutely!  I did a Sprint two weeks before Christmas in Palm Springs.  The rest of the country was iced over.  At the starting horn the sun was rising in a clear sky and the water was nearly 70 degrees.  Definitely advantages to living in California.

2014-12-31 12:13 AM
in reply to: lutzman

User image

Hi Steve and Scott,

I'd like to be join the group again.

NAME: EchoLkScott (BT Screen Name) / Scott Imlay

STORY: I started this journey at this time last year. I had just had a chest-pain scare (not a heart attack - thankfully). While I passed a stress-test just fine, it was clear I was not on a good path health-wise. I had high blood pressure, marginal fasting blood sugars, and significantly more calcification in my coronary arteries than is normal for a man my age (56).

I needed to exercise. I was a runner in my 20's and 30's, but kept getting injured when I tried to start running in my 50's. With triathlon, I figured I'd at least be able to bike or swim when an injury kept me from running. The plan worked - I had a calf injury that kept me from running last spring but was still able to bike and swim.

In January last year I could barely swim the length of the pool and running a mile seemed impossible. With the help of this mentor group, I was able to complete three sprint triathlons last summer. Along the way I lost 30 lbs, my blood pressure and sugars improved, and I found I really enjoy triathlon! I'm eager to for the season to begin again!

FAMILY STATUS: Happily married for 32 years. One grown daughter who is currently living with us because of chronic health problems (complications of type I diabetes).

CURRENT TRAINING: When work and family obligations allow, I'm currently training 5-6 hours a week. I've joined a masters swimming team so I'm getting sufficient swimming volume when I'm in town. My running and biking have suffered due to the short days in Washington this time of year. To get more consistent training on the bike, I just purchased a trainer (KK road machine) and am planning to sign up for TrainerRoad. In mid-January I plan to start the BT "Olympic - 3x Balanced - 20 Week" training plan. It's a volume-only training plan, with 9 workouts and between 6 and 12 hours of training a week.

2014 RACES: Two Cottage lake mini-sprint triathlons (2nd and 3rd AG) and the Lake Meridian Sprint triathlon (2nd AG).

2015 PLANNED RACES: Either Lake Sammamish half marathon or Cinco de Mayo half marathon, Lake Wilderness Olympic Triathlon, ChelanMan Olympic Triathlon (where I expected to "left in the dust" by Steve), Lake Tye Olympic Triathlon, either Lake Stevens Ironman 70.3 or Lake Meridian Olympic triathlon, and Lake Stevens Olympic triathlon. The Ironman 70.3 is a wild card - I'll only do it if my training goes exceptionally well this spring.

WEIGHTLOSS: I'm 5'7" and currently 155 lbs. I'd like to lose another 10 lbs. If I increase my training volume to the level in the BT plan, and avoid stupid foods, I should be able to lose this weight.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I'm still quite new at this sport and am eager to learn. I have a lot of respect for Steve, Scott, and my fellow Gray Guys/Girls. I have an open mind and am willing to try new things.

Thanks!
Scott I.
2014-12-31 7:47 AM
in reply to: EchoLkScott

User image

Thanks for welcoming me to the group everyone!  I look forward to getting to know you and sharing this little passion in our lives.

SCOTT K - I'm in Warsaw in the northeastern part of the state between Fort Wayne and South Bend.   With you being on the west coast I wondered why you had IMLou on your 2015 race calendar and now I know.    I plan on being there to volunteer so you can count me in as part of your cheer group! 

JANET - I see you're coming to my state too for the Indy Mini!  Go YOU! I've not done a race with that many participants and the thought overwhelms me.   Curious as to why you picked this one? 

Here's my bio: 

USER NAME: bswcpa

NAME: Brenda 

STORY: A friend introduced me to the world of triathlons when I was in my mid-40s and didn't like all the shifting my body was doing.  I didn't know how to swim and wasn't active at all up to then. I did only sprint distance the first couple years and have moved up in distance slowly. It's now 10 years later and, although I still don't swim fast or well, I love all three disciplines. I'm involved in this to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I don't compete, my goal is just to complete and enjoy the journey. 

FAMILY STATUS: In my 33rd year of being married to the same ornery guy that I met in college and who still makes me laugh every day. Through adoption we are blessed with a son who's 19 and in his first year at Indiana University and a daughter who's 18, a Senior in high school and runs track. They're both bi-racial so we have a colorful family. We also have a Great Dane who gives us nothing but love. 

CURRENT TRAINING: Only once did I try and follow a training plan but it became too regimented and took all the joy out of it for me. I just do whatever I feel like doing for how long I have and, although that's not a recommended way, it works for me.   I generally have around 10 hours a week to give to this sport to keep me happy.   Unfortunately I'm scheduled for surgery next week (getting a notch cut out of my big toe joint to alleviate arthritis pain). I'll be in a boot for a month and only be able to do some light stuff for 2 months after that. Lifting a pencil during tax season (I'm a CPA) is about all the "training" I'll be able to do.

2014 RACES: Triathlons - 1 Sprint (it's 4 miles from my house), 2 Half Ironmans and Ironman Wisconsin (it was a bucket list item to cross off) / Road Run - 1 marathon / Trail Run - 1 marathon, a 50K and paced my friend the last 40 miles of her 100 miler (she's crazy that way). 

2015 RACES: A 50K trail run on Saturday (1/3) and nothing on the calendar yet after that. I want to see how well I recover from surgery and ease back into racing. After trying all 4 distances of triathlon, I think I like the Olympic or Half distance the best so that may be my focus along with trail running which I discovered I absolutely love too. 

WEIGHT LOSS: Although I gain a couple pounds during the holidays that usually comes off with the stress of tax season. I'm currently at a weight I can live with so I'm content. 

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: Seeing how many of you had accidents for which you've recovered or are recovering, I'm anxious to learn the wisest way to rebuild. I also love the camaraderie of the mentor groups. I love to learn what others are doing and especially excited to find this mature, older group who I can learn from and share the journey with.  As an added bonus I figure SCOTT K will be an awesome source for helping me swim faster.

2014-12-31 8:11 AM

Regular
Libertyville, IL
Steve,

I would love to be a member of this group! I visited the "Gray Guys" mentor group last month, posted a few messages and got great responses and then it closed to start fresh in 2015.

I can post all my information today. I think this is an "open Invitation" group and I would enjoy the support and new friendships. I am a newbie with a long way to go but feel this would motivate me and maybe someone else is in the same position as me.

Daniel
2014-12-31 8:24 AM
in reply to: k9car363

Great, thank you Scott.

Here's a bio:

USER NAME: ShellyLee

NAME: Shelly

STORY: I have been a runner for many years, and this summer, started swimming regularly. I'm really curious about triathlons, so decided that this year I'd give it a go. I was delighted to find this group, and am really looking forward to hearing about others' experiences.

FAMILY STATUS: Married for 20 years, mom of three teenagers (ages 16, 13, 13). Originally from US (California, Seattle, then New York), but now a dual citizen (US-UK). I have lived in London for the past 20 years.

CURRENT TRAINING: Just set my 2015 targets: run 1000 miles (just completed this amount per 2014 resolution); cycle 1500 km, swim 150 k, do weight training twice a week. Almost all my "cycling" is on a stationary bike, as I'm not all that comfortable cycling the London streets (and it would take me a while to get out to the countryside). Curious as to whether anyone else manages to train well enough this way, or if I'll have to find a way to do road training.

2014 RACES: 5 half-marathons, 2 10k's, numerous 5k fun runs (Parkrun), 3 cross-country races (6 or 7 k each).

2015 RACES: planning on the Stockholm marathon (May 30), and a triathlon, either novice or supersprint in the early summer.

WEIGHT LOSS: I'd like to lose about 5-10 pounds, but I have given up on losing any weight through exercise (sadly).

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD MENTEE: I really enjoy the camaraderie of people setting targets together and sharing experiences, and I like to think that I'm encouraging to others as well.

Nice to meet you all!

2014-12-31 8:34 AM
in reply to: longrun26

User image

Regular
East Wenatchee, Washington
Originally posted by longrun26

Steve,

I would love to be a member of this group! I visited the "Gray Guys" mentor group last month, posted a few messages and got great responses and then it closed to start fresh in 2015.

I can post all my information today. I think this is an "open Invitation" group and I would enjoy the support and new friendships. I am a newbie with a long way to go but feel this would motivate me and maybe someone else is in the same position as me.

Daniel

Hi Daniel:

Post up your info so we can get to know you. Welcome to the group!

Steve
2014-12-31 10:21 AM
in reply to: ShellyLee

User image

Congratulations on running 1000 miles, SHELLY!!   Wow, that's impressive!  And the fact that you want to do it again is more impressive!

To answer your question  "Almost all my "cycling" is on a stationary bike....Curious as to whether anyone else manages to train well enough this way".   Like you, I do the vast majority of my bike training indoors for safety reasons more than anything.  However, I have my tri bike set up on a trainer instead of using a stationary bike like they have at the Y.     I'm assuming that's the kind of bike you're talking about using?   I'll let the more knowledgeable folks on here answer to what's best but it's just my experience that being on my own bike prepares my body for the road miles when I do get out and race.   I wasn't sure if your question was more directed to indoor vs outdoor training or specific to stationary bike training?    So in summary, Yes I do indoor training like you and found that I can train just fine that way but No I use my actual bike which I think is more beneficial than a standard gym bike.  Hope that helps. 

2014-12-31 10:23 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Expert
Missouri

Originally posted by bswcpa

JANET - I see you're coming to my state too for the Indy Mini!  Go YOU! I've not done a race with that many participants and the thought overwhelms me.   Curious as to why you picked this one? 

To run on the racetrack!  Actually I'm not much of a racecar fan, but my husband likes to watch the races sometimes so I thought this might be a trip he would enjoy.  I try to do one "destination" race every year. Sometimes it's fairly close to home (Columbia, MO or Carlyle, IL are both only about 1-1/2 hours away), sometimes it's a little farther (I've been to Cincinnati for the Flying Pig and Little Rock, AR for the half marathon).  This year I picked Indianapolis.  I usually prefer to stick to smaller races but the bigger ones have some advantages - lots more crowd support, I don't finish so close to last, and it's a little more exciting than a race with only 500 people. 

Unless you're talking about trail races, of course - those are always exciting.  The ones around here are usually limited on the number of participants due to it being a trail race, but they're some of the most enjoyable races I do each year.  I got into trail running about 4 years ago and I love it (heading out for a run on the Lewis & Clark trail this afternoon, in fact).  You'll see quite a few of them on my calendar especially during fall and winter.  15k is the longest trail race I've done so far - 50k is intriguing to me but I'm not sure I could do it.  Of course, I also never thought I'd attempt a HIM and I'm seriously considering it in 2016 so you never know!

Good luck on your race this weekend!

Janet

Edited by soccermom15 2014-12-31 10:27 AM
2014-12-31 1:44 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by EchoLkScott

Hi Steve and Scott, I'd like to be join the group again . . .

I've joined a masters swimming team so I'm getting sufficient swimming volume when I'm in town . . .

Thanks! Scott I.

Welcome back Scott.  I enjoyed watching you get off the couch and become a triathlete last year.  Bigger and better things to come this year!

And I think we should revisit the discussion we have started a couple times about Master's teams and swimming volume vs. intensity! 

2014-12-31 1:50 PM
in reply to: longrun26

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by longrun26

I am a newbie with a long way to go but feel this would motivate me and maybe someone else is in the same position as me.

Daniel

Daniel,

We were all "newbies" once.  We have several people in the group that did their first triathlon last year so there will definitely be support as you start out on your triathlon journey.

2014-12-31 2:09 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Curious as to whether anyone else manages to train well enough this way, or if I'll have to find a way to do road training. 

Shelly,

We lived in southern Indiana until March of 2012 which means we had to deal with inclement weather - cold, snow, ice, all the fun stuff.  I got a Kinetic Road Trainer indoor bike trainer and did most of my training rides indoors during the winter months.  It would be equally useful trying to avoid traffic.  I think using your real bike on a trainer is preferable to an exercise or spin bike but you do what you gotta do.

I still use my trainer even now, living in sunny Southern California when I want a really good workout.  I use Sufferfest training videos which inspire REALLY hard workouts.  Absent the Sufferfest videos, my biggest problem on the trainer is fighting the boredom.

My personal opinion is that at some point, before you enter a race, you need to put in some actual road miles.  There are some things that you simply can't learn on a trainer; bike handling skills, dealing with wind, inclement weather, etc. 

I use my road bike on the trainer.  Some people advocate using your Triathlon bike (if you have one).  Again, my personal opinion/preference is to use my road bike.  The whole point of a Tri-Bike is to get down into aero position.  On a trainer, you have no wind resistance to overcome so I find it hard to maintain the aero position on my trainer.  Again, just my opinion/preference.  I have heard pretty heated debates over this topic.

Anyway, the short answer to your curiosity is, you can certainly put the miles on your legs on a trainer but you should augment that with some miles on the road before you actually race.

Edited by k9car363 2014-12-31 2:11 PM
2014-12-31 2:14 PM

User image

Regular

Hi Steve and Scott,

I'd like to be join the group again.

NAME: EchoLkScott (BT Screen Name) / Scott Imlay

Thanks!
Scott I.

Hey Scott:

Welcome back! Glad you're still with us.

Steve
2014-12-31 2:33 PM

User image

Regular

Curious as to whether anyone else manages to train well enough this way, or if I'll have to find a way to do road training. 

Shelly,

We lived in southern Indiana until March of 2012 which means we had to deal with inclement weather - cold, snow, ice, all the fun stuff.  I got a Kinetic Road Trainer indoor bike trainer and did most of my training rides indoors during the winter months.  It would be equally useful trying to avoid traffic.  I think using your real bike on a trainer is preferable to an exercise or spin bike but you do what you gotta do.

I still use my trainer even now, living in sunny Southern California when I want a really good workout.  I use Sufferfest training videos which inspire REALLY hard workouts.  Absent the Sufferfest videos, my biggest problem on the trainer is fighting the boredom.

My personal opinion is that at some point, before you enter a race, you need to put in some actual road miles.  There are some things that you simply can't learn on a trainer; bike handling skills, dealing with wind, inclement weather, etc. 

I use my road bike on the trainer.  Some people advocate using your Triathlon bike (if you have one).  Again, my personal opinion/preference is to use my road bike.  The whole point of a Tri-Bike is to get down into aero position.  On a trainer, you have no wind resistance to overcome so I find it hard to maintain the aero position on my trainer.  Again, just my opinion/preference.  I have heard pretty heated debates over this topic.

Anyway, the short answer to your curiosity is, you can certainly put the miles on your legs on a trainer but you should augment that with some miles on the road before you actually race.

Agree with everything written above.

I'm up in the snowy north (Washington State). It was 14 degrees when I left for work at 7 a.m. Thanks to my indoor bike trainer I got in a very good one hour ride prior to work. Obviously, this time of year it's 100% indoor training for biking. I'll run outdoors down to about 10 degrees. Below that it's just too tough to stay warm.

I have a Kurt Kenetic which as been a very good trainer. You can find them on Ebay used at a savings of probably 60%+. But, the "lifetime warranty" is only good for the original owner. I agree with Scott that it is preferable to train on your triathlon bike vs. a bike machine. And it's best to train on the bike you'll actually race on, especially if it's a time trial bike. The body position on TT bike is different enough that putting in all those training hours on a bike that is different from the one you'll use to race just becomes a missed opportunity.

That said, I also endorse the idea that nothing beats getting some outdoor time leading up to your race. By late February I'll be able to start riding outdoors. My usual training regimen will be to ride indoors 2X per week on the trainer. I'll then add a weekend long ride outside, trying to pick the day/time where I can get the best stretch or block of warmer weather.

The downside to the trainer is boredom. For me, what helps the most is very structured workouts. I've got a power meter so I can really watch the output of watts. My Garmin 510 also monitors HR, cadence, power, speed, intervals and total work all on my indoor bike. But having the short blocks of work really helps pass the time.

The simple workout I did this morning went as follows:

20 minute warm up
3 X 3 minute intervals at race pace/race effort with 2 minute recovery
5 minutes EZ
3 X 3 minutes (40 seconds hard/20 seconds recovery) with 2 minute recovery between sets
EZ cool down to one hour total time.

I have another workout for longer rides that is basically a 30 minute warm up followed by repeated 10 minute sets of 6 minutes HR zone 2, 2 minutes HR zone 3, 2 minutes HR zone 4, with a 5 minute EZ spin recovery after each 3 sets. You can just keep repeating the intervals up to about 3 hours.

I find there is much less "clock watching" if I'm focusing on intervals, cadence and power.

BTW--A power meter is a fabulous tool. Highly recommended.

Steve

Edited by lutzman 2014-12-31 2:37 PM
2014-12-31 2:53 PM

User image

Official BT Coach
Indianapolis, Indiana
Gold member

Originally posted by soccermom15

To run on the racetrack!  Actually I'm not much of a racecar fan, but my husband likes to watch the races sometimes so I thought this might be a trip he would enjoy . . .

Janet

Janet,

I had to chuckle when I read your post.  Back in August of 2011 I was sitting on my couch in Indiana, enjoying my couch potato existence while contemplating the Ironman challenge I had just accepted from a friend.  I despised running and I was trying to reconcile that thought against completing the marathon at the end of an Ironman when a commercial came on TV.  A local running club was getting ready to start their annual training program for the One-American Indy Mini-Marathon.  I called the next day and they confirmed that , indeed, I would get to run a lap around the speedway.

You have to understand, I am a HUGE auto racing fan.  The Indianapolis Motor Speedway is hallowed ground for a racing fan.  When we lived in Indiana, I would give a reverent nod of my head in the direction of the speedway whenever we went past.  When I found out I could actually run around the track I couldn't sign up fast enough.  That race, the Indy Mini, is what got me seriously running.  To this day, I rarely go out for a run without remembering running around the track and that moment at the yard of bricks (start/finish line for the racing terminology challenged among us).

You can take your husband to the track and visit the Museum a day or two before the race.  Then you can take the bus tour around the track which, as a racing fan, will give him a cherished memory.

Have a good time!  It is a great race!  If I weren't going to Louisville in October I would be doing the Mini again this year but cross country travel is just to much work to do more than once a year.

Edited by k9car363 2014-12-31 3:01 PM
2014-12-31 4:00 PM

User image

Farmington, Connecticut
Steve and Scott:

I'd like to continue with the group if there is room for one more.

Screen name: DJP_19/ Name: Dave Proulx

Story:

I enjoyed sports as a kid, playing mostly baseball and football up through my high school years. Also did some casual running while in my early 20's. I became increasingly sedentary during my adult years, mostly due to long work hours and quite a bit of business travel. I gained about 60 lbs during this time.

After several failed attempts to shed the weight, in 2011 I signed up with a trainer at my local gym and he helped me find the focus needed to drop 45 lbs. My trainer also taught me proper running form and how to train to improve my speed, though I'm still not very fast (8:00/mile 5k pace) . I began running 5-10k races and really enjoyed the competition. I came to triathlon by accident. First, a leg injury forced me to suspend running and take up cycling as an alternative. Then a friend suggested that I do a few practice sessions in the pool as an alternate cardio workout. I did my first triathlon last June, a Sprint distance race. I enjoyed it so much that I did 2 more sprints this past summer, despite a calf injury that cost me 8 weeks of training.

Family Status:

I'm 57 years old. Married for 32 years. 3 children. ages 26, 22 and 20. The boys are both out of school, while my daughter is a Junior in college, which means we have only 3 more tuition payments left! Our family also includes two Labrador Retrievers. One dog is retired, while the younger one works about 80 days per year retrieving waterfowl. We live in Farmington, Connecticut.

Current training:

I've been training about 8 hrs/week over the past month. Since I'm nursing a nagging calf strain, my recent cardio work is being done on an elliptical machine, swimming or biking.

I'm focused on 3 areas during the off season:

1. Improving my swim technique.
2. Gaining balance and flexibility:
3. Additional weight loss.

I've recently taken up yoga and practice twice a week. I have a long way to go, but it seems to be helping with both flexibility and balance. I'm also getting deep tissue massage work done to help me recover from nagging calf and hamstring injuries.

2015 Race Plan:

I enjoy Sprint distance races and plan to do several this year. If I can stay injury free, I hope to move up to an Olympic distance race in June. My stretch goal would be to do the Timberman HIM in August, since several of my training partners are training for that race.

I joined this Mentor group last year and really enjoyed it. I learned a lot from Steve, Scott and others in the group. Looking forward to being an active member of the group in 2015.

Dave

Edited by DJP_19 2014-12-31 4:03 PM

2014-12-31 4:00 PM

User image

Originally posted by lutzman

• I still use my trainer even now, living in sunny Southern California when I want a really good workout.  I use Sufferfest training videos which inspire REALLY hard workouts.  Absent the Sufferfest videos, my biggest problem on the trainer is fighting the boredom.

I'm up in the snowy north (Washington State). It was 14 degrees when I left for work at 7 a.m. Thanks to my indoor bike trainer I got in a very good one hour ride prior to work. Obviously, this time of year it's 100% indoor training for biking. I'll run outdoors down to about 10 degrees. Below that it's just too tough to stay warm.

I have a Kurt Kenetic which as been a very good trainer. You can find them on Ebay used at a savings of probably 60%+. But, the "lifetime warranty" is only good for the original owner. I agree with Scott that it is preferable to train on your triathlon bike vs. a bike machine. And it's best to train on the bike you'll actually race on, especially if it's a time trial bike. The body position on TT bike is different enough that putting in all those training hours on a bike that is different from the one you'll use to race just becomes a missed opportunity.

• Steve

Steve and Scott,

Have either of you used TrainerRoad? I got a certificate for one month free when I bought the KK. When combined with a speed sensor it provides "virtual power" and allows you to train using power without buying a power meter. It looks you do a test to estimate functional threshold power (FTP) and then it adjusts the workouts to match your FTP. Lots of different workouts, so it looks like a good way to battle the boredom. I think I'll give it a try.

BTW, I'm using my tri-bike on the trainer. I'm new to the tri-bike so I need practice in the aero position.

Thanks!
    Scott I.
    2014-12-31 4:27 PM

Regular
    Libertyville, IL
    Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's -Co Mentor
    Here's to a great 2015!

NAME - longrun26 (BT Screen Name)/Daniel

STORY - I am a 55 year old midlife career changer. I worked in corporate until 45 as Sr. Director, Leadership & Employee Development and then took an earlier retirement. For the past 10 years I have been teaching 7th grade Literature/Language Arts and love my career - a lot! Reinventing myself has been wonderful but taken a toll. At the end of April I will complete my third masters (School Leadership and Administration) - all in the past 10 years. I hope to move into a school administration position this coming fall.

I feel I have put all my time the past 10 years into school - being a teacher and a student. This afternoon I weighed 260! Ouch but a reality. Before 45, I ran 16 marathons (all between 4:30 and 5 hours), 6 sprint triathlons and many biking events. Now I am looking to lose 70 pounds and make myself a priority and enjoy the journey to fitness.

I am open to all feedback on losing weight, training and becoming sprint tri ready.

FAMILY STATUS - Married 30 years ( my wife has run Boston 6 times). We have two sons - both out of college and working. One is really into CrossFit the other works out to hike the Appalachian Trail and other major hikes. They are all behind me 100% to regain my fitness and start enjoying life again.

CURRENT TRAINING - none ;( I have started daily walking(3+ miles) in the past two months. I just recently joined a nice health club and the past few weeks have been playing with weights, spin class, swimming...

2014 RACES - None

2015 RACES - Lucky Leprechaun 7k - March 15, Biggest Loser Half Marathon Rockford, IL - June 20, Door County Sprint Tri - July 18

WEIGHTLOSS - I accept where I am 260 but have 70 pounds to lose.

WHAT WILL MAKE ME A GOOD GROUP MEMBER? - I am committed and dedicated to having a wonderful fitness journey this year. New friends motivate and we will all share tips, experiences and knowledge.

Looking forward to a great 2015!!!
    Daniel

2015-01-01 8:05 AM

User image

Subject: RE: Gray Guys/Girls Master's -Co Mentor

HAPPY 2015 Gray Gang!!    What a diverse group we are - we span the United States quite nicely and hit the UK and Australia.   No matter where you are today, I hope this year starts out by bringing you blessings abounding!     I plan to spend this first one eating all day and watching football. 

Edited by bswcpa 2015-01-01 11:52 AM
    2015-01-01 11:33 AM

User image

Regular

Originally posted by lutzman

• I still use my trainer even now, living in sunny Southern California when I want a really good workout.  I use Sufferfest training videos which inspire REALLY hard workouts. 

I have a Kurt Kenetic which as been a very good trainer. You can find them on Ebay used at a savings of probably 60%+. .

• Steve

Steve and Scott,

Have either of you used TrainerRoad? I got a certificate for one month free when I bought the KK. When combined with a speed sensor it provides "virtual power" and allows you to train using power without buying a power meter. It looks you do a test to estimate functional threshold power (FTP) and then it adjusts the workouts to match your FTP. Lots of different workouts, so it looks like a good way to battle the boredom. I think I'll give it a try.

BTW, I'm using my tri-bike on the trainer. I'm new to the tri-bike so I need practice in the aero position.

Thanks!
    Scott I.

Hi Scott:

I haven't used TrainerRoad. Since I already have a PM I wasn't motivated to try it out. That said, I've seen many posts on Slowtwitch from people who say it's a fabulous program and actually is remarkably close to the PM output.

The first thing I learned from my PM is that I actually have no power...pushing 160-170 watts for a HIM is probably all I can do. The other thing I learned was the difference between "effort" and "perceived effort". There are so many times on the bike when I think I'm putting in a good effort only to look down at my power and see that the only thing working hard is my imagination.

If you decide to give it a try, please let us know what you think.

Steve
    New Thread
    BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Rss Feed  

of 52

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
    Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open