BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 166

2015-12-03 8:41 AM
in reply to: drfoodlove

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Subject: RE: Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business
Nice 3.5 mi run with the pup this morning (#383) in the first really cold weather we've had. It was 28F when I headed out, which I know isn't cold for most of you, but down here in the near south, it is cold to us! As full winter approaches, I need to work on my cold weather running gear collection and figuring out how to dress for running in the cold. As it stands now, I get dressed as I think I will need, and then remove a layer, but I'm still stripping things off during the run. This is really only my second season of cold weather running, and last year didn't get too bad here. Any tips?

The plank a day in the books too. Dog has decided she should just lay next/under me while I do that plank thing, just to make sure I don't forget I was going to take her running, or at least that is how I anthropomorphize it.

2015-12-03 8:51 AM
in reply to: Qua17

User image

My knee is healing up nicely. Put in a 10 and 4.5 mile run this week. Got another 8 mile run tomorrow to get some volume together for my marathon next weekend. Starting to really freak out about the marathon itself though. I'm assuming that the freaking out is normal, but still...
2015-12-03 11:45 AM
in reply to: brrit

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
I'm having one of those days at work where I really don't want to do anything, like really, really don't want to do ANYTHING. What have I been filling my time with? Looking at HIM plans and wondering if 2016 is the year.
2015-12-04 12:59 PM
in reply to: #5075170

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I've found that I look at weather report prior to going out. Through trial and error over the years, I've developed how many layers to run in. The worst is underdressed and having issues with freezing.
2015-12-04 1:06 PM
in reply to: #5155034

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
I think it's pretty standard to have jitters going into an event. The best part is when the gun goes off and the feeling of euphoria kicks in. Trust your training, and avoid going out in the first few miles "too fast". This will help you get in the "groove" as you grind through the miles. If you start focussing on nutrition at mile 18, this may be too late. Make sure your curling early and often. You will hit a "wall". It's inevitable. Somewhere between 18-22 miles or so. This is where your grit and heart will kick in. You'll get past it.
I wish you well in your event and hope for a memorable experience.
2015-12-04 1:16 PM
in reply to: #5155036

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
BDAS, SORRY I'm not quoting in replies, haven't figured how to on tablet.

I got 2/3 runs done for the week with my 6.2 mile long run planned for this weekend. I've been able to get out of the rack early for both runs. I got to run in the snow in the dark on Wednesday, a favorite of mine. I also took over a minute off both run times and broke the 9 min. mile barrier on my 4.6 miler today.

Not a bad 2nd week so far. Looking forward to long run and continued building mileage for next week.

2015-12-04 2:11 PM

User image

Expert
Originally posted by drfoodlove

I'm having one of those days at work where I really don't want to do anything, like really, really don't want to do ANYTHING. What have I been filling my time with? Looking at HIM plans and wondering if 2016 is the year.

An answer to your wondering about a HIM in 2016 - a resounding HELL YEA!

After blowing us away with 400 workouts in 2015 (knock on wood) it's clear you can accomplish anything you set your mind to! Take December to find the right on for you (rev3 is a great place to start - TONS OF support) and go from there!
2015-12-04 2:14 PM
in reply to: kevinbe

User image

Expert
Originally posted by kevinbe

I've found that I look at weather report prior to going out. Through trial and error over the years, I've developed how many layers to run in. The worst is underdressed and having issues with freezing.

Agreed. I would say but it depends on your route if it's out in back the nice thing is is that you can drop things off as you warm up and then pick them back up again on your way home. If that is workable I always liked wear layers with plenty of zippers that way I can moderate my heat by unzipping something. I will also take off my hat as I warm up as well. It's basically a system of trial and error but I'm sure you will figure it out
2015-12-04 2:15 PM

User image

Expert

BDAS, SORRY I'm not quoting in replies, haven't figured how to on tablet.

I got 2/3 runs done for the week with my 6.2 mile long run planned for this weekend. I've been able to get out of the rack early for both runs. I got to run in the snow in the dark on Wednesday, a favorite of mine. I also took over a minute off both run times and broke the 9 min. mile barrier on my 4.6 miler today.

Not a bad 2nd week so far. Looking forward to long run and continued building mileage for next week.

Nice work Kevin! It was only a matter of time before the old you came back to show the older you who's boss! Have a fruit beer to celebrate!
2015-12-04 2:17 PM

User image

Expert
Thanks to my anxiety filled son, I only got about 4 1/2 hours worth of sleep last night. Cora little guy is having the toughest time going to sleep and kept coming down and waking us up whenever he got worried about voices he thought he heard outside the house. So this morning I blew off my workout who is going to assess myself a Kuhars light penalty upon returning home this evening. However here's my view as I type this. CLP averted.

(image.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
image.jpg (2636KB - 7 downloads)
2015-12-04 4:38 PM
in reply to: #5155042

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
^^ way to avoid that CLP, Dave!!

2015-12-04 4:41 PM
in reply to: #5155098

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Short run and long swim for me today (384 & 385/400). Remembered my plank too!

Got a nice surprise yesterday when I looked at my 2015 goal sheet. I thought I had set the goal to ride 1500 miles, but it turns out it was for 1000miles, so, it looks like I already blew that one away, even without extra miles in December. Gotta say, 1500 miles does have a nice ring to it though!
2015-12-05 9:20 PM

User image

sounds like you guys are doing great.

been busy with work and holidays.

my goals for dec (yes I know I'm late) is to write out my workout plan for the year and up coming race season till Jan 1.
starting small but it is time to get back at it for real

2015-12-05 9:46 PM
in reply to: #5155099

User image

Expert
Spokane, WA
Does reds Apple ale count as a fruit beer. Been enjoying this mixed with my fireball for a refreshing cocktail. Ice, four fingers of fireball topped of with reeds in a 16 oz. glass. Pretty yummy.
2015-12-06 5:59 AM

User image

Expert

Short run and long swim for me today (384 & 385/400). Remembered my plank too!

Got a nice surprise yesterday when I looked at my 2015 goal sheet. I thought I had set the goal to ride 1500 miles, but it turns out it was for 1000miles, so, it looks like I already blew that one away, even without extra miles in December. Gotta say, 1500 miles does have a nice ring to it though!

If you really want to blow you mind - punch that number into google maps and see how far you have biked from your home. 1500 miles more than biking to Boston. Why don't you do that next time and I'll buy you a beer
2015-12-06 6:00 AM

User image

Expert

Does reds Apple ale count as a fruit beer. Been enjoying this mixed with my fireball for a refreshing cocktail. Ice, four fingers of fireball topped of with reeds in a 16 oz. glass. Pretty yummy.

Baby steps Kevin. Baby steps!

2015-12-06 6:04 AM

User image

Expert
I've had a good week so far! I've really pushed my workouts and have put some good work in. I managed to drop 2 LBS. My shoulder is feeling a little better - not great but better. And best of all - I was able to do a 5K yesterday pain free.

I'm making it my goal to eat more during the day so I don't gorge myself at night and on weekends. I want to lose the weight so badly that I'm eating like a little mouse at work and then coming home and eating like a bear.

Hey Dave O - Would you mind posting the link where we could order the BDAS gear. My wife is looking for Christmas ideas.

Have a great week everyone!
2015-12-06 10:31 AM
in reply to: #5155210

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Dave--I never thought of it that way! Biking to Boston! If I ever do, I'll take you up on that beer.

I had a rough day yesterday, but it was all solved with a run. I woke up with intentions to run long first thing, but it was super foggy here--like, couldn't see my feet kind of foggy. So, no run first thing, which totally bummed me out. So, I decided to bring my bike in and set up the trainer for a ride. I can't find my trainer skewer. I know I took it off my old bike before I sold it, but now I can't remember that totally logical, safe place I put it in. Ugh. So, no run, no ride, no swim because the pool isn't open until noon on Sat. Enter major funk. Grumpy, listless, not interested in doing anything funk. After a couple of hours, the sun lifted the fog and the combo of my wife and dog convinced me to head out for my run. It was like magic!!! Total mood lift!! I know this is common knowledge, but I'm still getting used to this active lifestyle.
2015-12-06 1:10 PM

User image

Expert

Dave--I never thought of it that way! Biking to Boston! If I ever do, I'll take you up on that beer.

I had a rough day yesterday, but it was all solved with a run. I woke up with intentions to run long first thing, but it was super foggy here--like, couldn't see my feet kind of foggy. So, no run first thing, which totally bummed me out. So, I decided to bring my bike in and set up the trainer for a ride. I can't find my trainer skewer. I know I took it off my old bike before I sold it, but now I can't remember that totally logical, safe place I put it in. Ugh. So, no run, no ride, no swim because the pool isn't open until noon on Sat. Enter major funk. Grumpy, listless, not interested in doing anything funk. After a couple of hours, the sun lifted the fog and the combo of my wife and dog convinced me to head out for my run. It was like magic!!! Total mood lift!! I know this is common knowledge, but I'm still getting used to this active lifestyle.

Gretchen - You bike to Boston and I'm buying the beers!

Way to persevere and find a way to get out there. I'm sure Fido appreciated it!
2015-12-06 1:16 PM

User image

Expert
Quick update:

I got in my long ride this afternoon by biking to work and doing 45 milutes of hill repeats along the way. I had my back pack with a heavy computer in it and ran into a nice guy that I biked past who was cleaning his lawn who agreed to keep it inside his house. I was a little worried but I felt like I could trust the guy. I figured the worst that could happen would be that he would have to grade all my students' work Sure enough... when I came back - he greeted me and handed it over. So nice since the weight was KILLING my shoulder.

Question - Do you think riding my hybrid bike with its T handle bard would be earier on my shoulders? I don't ride in the drops - but I don't want to give up riding outside unless I have two.

Finally - about 1/2 a mile from my school my chain came off and got stuck between the crank... I worked on it for 15 minutes with no success then I figured I had to Mcgiever it - so I used my Visa card so the chain slipped over the small hub that was keeping it from sliding out. Perfect. Gonna need a new card but I got to work right on time.

Phew!

Weekly Goals - lose 2 pounds the week, do my PT and enjoy my rest week
2015-12-07 10:15 AM

User image

Carbondale, Illinois
Rest day yesterday and back at it this morning!

Run with the pup just after sunrise (getting later and later all the time), followed immediately by a swim (#387 & 388/400). Don't normally do back to back, especially swim as the second workout, but my pool is set 50m course MWF until 9:30 and I want to try to get myself there as much as possible to work on swimming long. I'm getting faster due to the increased volume I've been doing, but only for short bursts. I figure swimming in the 50m pool will at least double my swim time before a "break" at the turn. Plank is also done for the day!

Hope everyone has the best Monday possible!

2015-12-08 5:36 AM

User image

Gretchen and Dave you guys are inspiring. I am mostly just being a lurker. Suppose to do a run today but I think the day will be spend cleaning out my work truck and guns for the next guy. I'll run once I get the truck cleaned out, still not finding my motivation.
2015-12-08 6:13 AM
in reply to: #5155251

User image

, Vermont
Scott, I just went back through some photos of races this past summer - that's helping me a bit. I'm just frustrated I'm not carving necessary time out to get my workouts in every single day. We leave for Utah for the holidays in 12 days and this week alone I have to get the glass repaired in my windshield, get the garage door opener fixed, fly 3 days, run the boys to various basketball practices in different venues, volunteer for 3 hours at a school event, make Christmas cards, create a photo scrap book for grandparents for Christmas, decide on and order everything for a complete bathroom renovation and order carpet for 2 bedrooms (the construction begins the week after I get back front door and Utah -yikes!), run a 3 hour test on my son's computer, go to a doctor's appointment, and hubby is gone all week. The weather is nice enough to get some chilly rides in too (still no snow here!) - need to get it done and enjoy it! This is my reality this week and it's okay, I will find a way to make some things work.
Oh! Huge score a couple of weeks ago! We had a Sierra Trading Post open here (yet another reason to visit Burlington! Haha) and on opening day I earned some cash back, also had a gift card and hit a good sale and managed to score a Castelli Viziata winter cycling jacket for $9.96!!!! Score!! It just arrived at the store yesterday (saved on shipping) and I'm jazzed to pick it up! Nothing like some new gear to get you going!
Cheers all! Stay sane and moving forward!

2015-12-08 12:31 PM
in reply to: b2b14

User image

Expert
Originally posted by b2b14

Gretchen and Dave you guys are inspiring. I am mostly just being a lurker. Suppose to do a run today but I think the day will be spend cleaning out my work truck and guns for the next guy. I'll run once I get the truck cleaned out, still not finding my motivation.

Hey Ironman - You need to cut yourself some slack... I think most people have a let down following a big event - as I did when I finished IMMT in 2013. I think you lived through my dark phase when I too couldn't find the motivation. Trust me - it will come but it may take a while. Until then - take a page from Jenn's book (I love the pic ideas) and keep getting your workouts in. And oh yea - drink LOTS of beer. That will help!
2015-12-08 12:31 PM

User image

Expert

Rest day yesterday and back at it this morning!

Run with the pup just after sunrise (getting later and later all the time), followed immediately by a swim (#387 & 388/400). Don't normally do back to back, especially swim as the second workout, but my pool is set 50m course MWF until 9:30 and I want to try to get myself there as much as possible to work on swimming long. I'm getting faster due to the increased volume I've been doing, but only for short bursts. I figure swimming in the 50m pool will at least double my swim time before a "break" at the turn. Plank is also done for the day!

Hope everyone has the best Monday possible!

Gretchen = machine
New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Beer Drinker Appreciation Society - Open For Business Rss Feed  

of 166

RELATED POSTS

Gray Guys/Girls Master's Focus Triathlon Mentor Group--CLOSED Pages: 1 ... 49 50 51 52

Started by lutzman
Views: 54659 Posts: 1284

2016-01-02 4:01 PM lutzman

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : September 2, 2010
author : mrakes1
comments : 0
Discussions on balanced meals, recommended amount of protein, losing weight for an Ironman, is pizza good? and beer as a recovery drink.