BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 36

2015-01-05 10:25 PM
in reply to: #5075698

User image

Subject: RE: Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group - Open
Lots of fresh faces and a few from the summer. Todd you and I were in a winter/spring group together last year. Looking forward for a great season. Updated my USA triathlon membership this week, and hope to get a tune up on my bike in a week or so and have my fit adjusted. Haven't started a training plan yet had anyone else? should get a list of first races going as the group gets settled in.

2015-01-06 1:10 AM
in reply to: MaiaRoberts07

User image

Pacific Northwest, Washington
Originally posted by MaiaRoberts07
I'd also like some tips on diet for training: I'd like to lose around 14lbs for the race (I gained more than 28lbs after injury because stopped exercise).
I'm trying to eat more veggie /vegan than meat (though I do eat meat) I don't eat eggs /soya (allergy)

Hi, Maria. Welcome to the group! I was significantly overweight when I started training in March 2014. I bought a book called "Racing Weight" by Matt Fitzgerald and followed his advice. It's not a book about dieting, but rather a book about nutrition for endurance athletes and viewing food as fuel. It totally changed the way I eat, and I lost 99 pounds in the last ten months NOT dieting. You don't have very much weight to lose, and as Chris said, you'll probably lose it just through training. But, if you want to take it a step further, you might look into Fitzgerald's book. I got the Kindle copy on Amazon.com; I think you can get the first chapter for free if you want to check it out. Fitzgerald also has a current article at http://triathlon.competitor.com/2014/12/nutrition/the-dos-and-donts... that summarizes a bit of what he covers in his book.

Hope this helps!
2015-01-06 9:23 AM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

North Grafton, Massachusetts
Originally posted by nrpoulin

Lots of fresh faces and a few from the summer. Todd you and I were in a winter/spring group together last year. Looking forward for a great season. Updated my USA triathlon membership this week, and hope to get a tune up on my bike in a week or so and have my fit adjusted. Haven't started a training plan yet had anyone else? should get a list of first races going as the group gets settled in.

I have just started my training, but I don't have a crystal clear plan. Right now, I'm mostly working myself back into shape and rebuilding my base. I do have goals for my running for both the short term (a series of 5Ks in March with a goal time for each) and longer term (a couple 10Ks, again with goal times in mind), but I haven't yet worked out a plan to get there. For my swim, I'm trying to get my conditioning back and build strength in my shoulders. I have a general idea of where I want to go with it, but nothing specific yet. As far as my bike, my only real goal is to maintain some kind of base so that I can hit the ground running once spring comes and I can ride outside.

For now, my biggest focus is just getting myself motivated to get back into the routine of training. I tried to get started up in December, but just couldn't find any consistency. Now that the holidays are over, I'm finding it easier to at least get off my butt and build a little momentum. It isn't coming easy, but getting started is the hardest part and I've been able to do that.
2015-01-06 2:07 PM
in reply to: nrpoulin

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

First race is a half marathon on Feb. 6th. First tri won't be until April or May, haven't sorted out all the details of my tri schedule just yet.

2015-01-06 3:09 PM
in reply to: Dominion

User image

Hi,
I'd like to join if I may.

Story:
I'm 46 and quite new to all of this. I never ran or did athletics at school but I've kept pretty fit the last 10-15 years doing other stuff such as dance (jazz, contemporary,...) and circus aerials (climbing ropes and going upside down basically). My wife has been interested in triathlon for a while however and took part in one last year. I thought I'd give it a go and so started running last August and trying to do other stuff.
My weakest leg is swimming. I'm pretty much self taught and can stay afloat but my technique sucks. I have the strength from the circus however and I've been trying to do classes to allow me to build up distance. I'm still down at about 2'45'' for 100 yds but I'm hoping that should improve with technique.
I should be OK with the cycling leg even if I won't be the fastest. When I was younger I used to cycle everywhere for transport for a few years and still have most of that.
Running as I mentioned, I only took up in August and that was the first time in my life I voluntarily went for a run. The hardest bit with the running has been holding myself back - my wife was very good with that though and provided lots of valuable advice. My body is finally starting to get used to it now and I'm up to about 9.5 miles without any ill effects the next day. I'm not too fast at the moment averaging a 10 minute pace but that will come.

Family: I'm married with no children. My wife is very supportive and actually got me into this in the first place. I'm finding that helps a lot. We train together at weekends and are planning on doing the same races.

Current Training
As far as current training goes, I'm trying to do 3 workouts of each sport each week. My wife bought me Joe Friel's book 'Your Best Triathlon' for Christmas and so I'm using that to come up with a plan. I'm still early in the plan but it's helping so far. I'm also taking 3 swim classes a week for the next month or two in addition to training.

Races this year:
March: Half Marathon
Early May: Local 10-mile run.
Mid-May: Mini-sprint Tri
Late June: Olympic Tri
Late Sept: 70.3 (planned - not registered yet)

Aims:
I'm happy to just get through the training and races this year. In the future I may worry about trying to place but I've a long way to go yet.
2015-01-07 2:05 PM
in reply to: burner2

User image

Thank you! for your handy support guys; I'm still working out how to use this forum page but I shall look up that.
Totally need to shake of the bad Christmas eating and lazing habits!

2015-01-07 7:12 PM
in reply to: CircusBrendan

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Welcome to the group Brendan.  For just having started in August, 9.5 miles is great.  Keep at it and the speed will improve, same as with the swimming.  Let us know if you have any questions and how the training is going!

2015-01-07 8:16 PM

User image

Originally posted by CircusBrendan

Hi,
I'd like to join if I may.

Story:
I'm 46 and quite new to all of this. I never ran or did athletics at school but I've kept pretty fit the last 10-15 years doing other stuff such as dance (jazz, contemporary,...) and circus aerials (climbing ropes and going upside down basically). My wife has been interested in triathlon for a while however and took part in one last year. I thought I'd give it a go and so started running last August and trying to do other stuff.
My weakest leg is swimming. I'm pretty much self taught and can stay afloat but my technique sucks. I have the strength from the circus however and I've been trying to do classes to allow me to build up distance. I'm still down at about 2'45'' for 100 yds but I'm hoping that should improve with technique.
I should be OK with the cycling leg even if I won't be the fastest. When I was younger I used to cycle everywhere for transport for a few years and still have most of that.
Running as I mentioned, I only took up in August and that was the first time in my life I voluntarily went for a run. The hardest bit with the running has been holding myself back - my wife was very good with that though and provided lots of valuable advice. My body is finally starting to get used to it now and I'm up to about 9.5 miles without any ill effects the next day. I'm not too fast at the moment averaging a 10 minute pace but that will come.

Family: I'm married with no children. My wife is very supportive and actually got me into this in the first place. I'm finding that helps a lot. We train together at weekends and are planning on doing the same races.

Current Training
As far as current training goes, I'm trying to do 3 workouts of each sport each week. My wife bought me Joe Friel's book 'Your Best Triathlon' for Christmas and so I'm using that to come up with a plan. I'm still early in the plan but it's helping so far. I'm also taking 3 swim classes a week for the next month or two in addition to training.

Races this year:
March: Half Marathon
Early May: Local 10-mile run.
Mid-May: Mini-sprint Tri
Late June: Olympic Tri
Late Sept: 70.3 (planned - not registered yet)

Aims:
I'm happy to just get through the training and races this year. In the future I may worry about trying to place but I've a long way to go yet.

Brendan,
Some research on efficient swimming technique went a long way for me. I'm not the fastest swimmer by any means, but with only about 5 months of training (probably averaging 1.5 training sessions per week) I was able to achieve middle of the pack speed. I recommend two web sites. I like www.swimsmooth.com. There are some very useful tips and articles and you can download their free (and cool) app called Mr. Smooth. It allows you to view their vision of an efficient swim stroke from different angles and slow down/speed up the stroke. The other one is totalimmersion.net. You can also find quite a few of the Total Immersion videos on youtube. Just some suggestions on how to help get educated on an efficient swim stroke. I'm sure Chris can help with some insight, too.

Randy
2015-01-08 4:29 PM
in reply to: rjchilds8

User image

Originally posted by rjchilds8
Brendan,
Some research on efficient swimming technique went a long way for me. I'm not the fastest swimmer by any means, but with only about 5 months of training (probably averaging 1.5 training sessions per week) I was able to achieve middle of the pack speed. I recommend two web sites. I like www.swimsmooth.com. There are some very useful tips and articles and you can download their free (and cool) app called Mr. Smooth. It allows you to view their vision of an efficient swim stroke from different angles and slow down/speed up the stroke. The other one is totalimmersion.net. You can also find quite a few of the Total Immersion videos on youtube. Just some suggestions on how to help get educated on an efficient swim stroke. I'm sure Chris can help with some insight, too.

Randy

Thanks for the information. I'd found the site but not seen the app. I'll take a look at it. I'm also working with a couple of different swim coaches for the next couple of months and i'm hoping they'll help my technique. It's already come on quite a bit in the last couple of months but I still have a way to go before I'm happy with it.
Thanks a lot

Brendan
2015-01-08 8:36 PM

User image

i'm dore....pronounced dory not door
2015-01-09 9:24 AM

User image

Originally posted by CircusBrendan

Thanks for the information. I'd found the site but not seen the app. I'll take a look at it. I'm also working with a couple of different swim coaches for the next couple of months and i'm hoping they'll help my technique. It's already come on quite a bit in the last couple of months but I still have a way to go before I'm happy with it.
Thanks a lot

Brendan

Good luck, Brendan. I had signed up for some classes over this winter, but the class was cancelled. I'm going to look into it again in the spring and see if they are offering the class again. I felt good about what I was able to do on my own, but I'd like to be more competitive and I really think I'll need some professional help to take it to the next level.

2015-01-09 10:01 AM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Still open for one more?  I've been in a few mentor groups and looking for a good balance.  The first groups died a quick death and last years had 10-20 post a day.  I see you have some return people and figured that might be a good sign.  

I had a bike wreck in June 2014 and broke my left clavicle in four pieces. Now I have a titanium plate and a sport a cool looking scar!  Needless to say that ended my season.  I got on a progressive training program back in Aug. for a half marry this month but injured my right foot (Metatarsalgia) in the process.  I was on track to run a sub 1:40 half, a PR.  My training has been next to nothing for six weeks or more and still healing, clavicle and foot.  But I have high hopes for 2015!!

NAME: Monty / HelmoAlkou

STORY:  Swimming background, childhood into early 30's; Started running for weight loss in my early 40's (dropped 45 lbs.); Picked up cycling to do triathlon in mid 40's; Turning 49 this June with a few 70.3's under my belt and considering my first 140.6 before 50.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married 21 years, my son is 20, and my daughter is 17.

WORK: I'm a power plant operator so lots of shift work. My normal shift is seven days on seven days off, rinse and repeat.  So yeah, I work every other week. But it's 12 hour days which makes consistency difficult.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Some gym work mostly for muscle correction and balance.  Still doing upper body exercises my physical therapist gave me after my surgery. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES:  04/06 - Ironman 70.3 Galveston Texas: 5:46.  I did several "fun" rides and runs right after that.  I had just started my focus training for a fall 70.3 when I had my bike wreck in June.

2015 RACES:  Based on health: 05/03 - Texasman X-50 Triathlon (50 mile); 06/28 - Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Texas (maybe); 07/26 - Triwaco Triathlon (olympic); Sept - Redman 70.3 or 140.6 Oklahoma.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm 10 pounds over my race weight now due to sitting around through the holidays.  No biggie.  I got that dog by the collar 10 years ago.

GOALS:  Finish one or two 70.3's this year.  Stay injury free!  A better diet especially in hard training months.

2015-01-09 10:24 AM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by HelmoAlkou

Still open for one more?  I've been in a few mentor groups and looking for a good balance.  The first groups died a quick death and last years had 10-20 post a day.  I see you have some return people and figured that might be a good sign.  

I had a bike wreck in June 2014 and broke my left clavicle in four pieces. Now I have a titanium plate and a sport a cool looking scar!  Needless to say that ended my season.  I got on a progressive training program back in Aug. for a half marry this month but injured my right foot (Metatarsalgia) in the process.  I was on track to run a sub 1:40 half, a PR.  My training has been next to nothing for six weeks or more and still healing, clavicle and foot.  But I have high hopes for 2015!!

NAME: Monty / HelmoAlkou

STORY:  Swimming background, childhood into early 30's; Started running for weight loss in my early 40's (dropped 45 lbs.); Picked up cycling to do triathlon in mid 40's; Turning 49 this June with a few 70.3's under my belt and considering my first 140.6 before 50.

FAMILY STATUS:  Married 21 years, my son is 20, and my daughter is 17.

WORK: I'm a power plant operator so lots of shift work. My normal shift is seven days on seven days off, rinse and repeat.  So yeah, I work every other week. But it's 12 hour days which makes consistency difficult.

CURRENT TRAINING:  Some gym work mostly for muscle correction and balance.  Still doing upper body exercises my physical therapist gave me after my surgery. 

LAST YEAR'S RACES:  04/06 - Ironman 70.3 Galveston Texas: 5:46.  I did several "fun" rides and runs right after that.  I had just started my focus training for a fall 70.3 when I had my bike wreck in June.

2015 RACES:  Based on health: 05/03 - Texasman X-50 Triathlon (50 mile); 06/28 - Ironman 70.3 Buffalo Springs Texas (maybe); 07/26 - Triwaco Triathlon (olympic); Sept - Redman 70.3 or 140.6 Oklahoma.

WEIGHTLOSS:  I'm 10 pounds over my race weight now due to sitting around through the holidays.  No biggie.  I got that dog by the collar 10 years ago.

GOALS:  Finish one or two 70.3's this year.  Stay injury free!  A better diet especially in hard training months.

Hi Monty, yes we still have room.  I think this may be what you are looking for regarding a balanced group.  We have a good core group from last year, and some new faces, so this group won't die.  On the other hand, we don't post after every workout, and what we watched on television last night either.  The purpose of this group is really to motivate and support each other.  I try to answer any training questions and we can discuss any tri or single sport related topic anyone wants to bring up.  We like to read race reports and keep up with how we are all doing throughout the season.  

It looks like you too have a pretty stout 2015 racing season planned.  Sorry to hear about the wreck.  Can you share what happened?  Hope your healing is going well and back to full training soon!

2015-01-09 2:48 PM

User image

Veteran
Cleburne, Texas

Thanks Chris, sounds good!

I really wish I had an exciting wreck story.  I made up several but friends/family didn't buy it.  If I were to blame it on one thing it would be fatigue.  I got home from a 12 hour night shift, my fifth night, and decided to sneak in an endurance swim/ride brick.  Packed up my bike, road to the gym, 30 minute swim, then 2 hours on the bike.  I was tired but felt good.  

There's a large intersection with a traffic light a few blocks from the house. I know it well.  As I approached I knew it was my turn to get the green light.  I slowed and finally forced to unclip.  Just as I did the light went green and I had to go.  I was in the wrong gear and struggled with one leg to get momentum as I tried clipping my right foot back in.  Then a car startled me coming to the light that I hadn't seen.  I jerked my head to the right to see what was coming and I hit the ground HARD on my left.  Got up, back on the bike, and started riding home bleeding in several places.  About half way home my should started hurting.  When I reached up I could feel my bone protruding under my skin.  I road to the house, made it to the front door, and banged until my wife answered.  She freaked but handled getting me to the ER very well.  Sorry, that's a long story to say, "I fell over".

Here's one side note.  Surgeons don't keep titanium plates for a clavicle in stock.  Broke it on Saturday, saw the doc on Monday, and had surgery on Tuesday.  Good thing for over-night delivery!!

Oh, and with some grinding and popping I managed to take off my new Ironman Galveston 70.3 jersey before they cut it of.   

2015-01-09 7:49 PM
in reply to: HelmoAlkou

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

LOL on the jersey..priorities and all that.  

Everybody falls over at one time or another.  Usually though it is the pride that takes the biggest hit.  Last year I fell over once at an intersection while leading a beginner group ride.  And I'm supposed to be the expert!  Very embarrassing.

2015-01-10 8:52 AM
in reply to: burner2

User image

thank you for this :0

2015-01-10 11:25 AM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

So how did everyone (in the U.S,) deal with the cold weather this past week?  Did training suffer or were you able to get your work in despite conditions.  I did pretty well and got it all in except 1 run so I feel pretty good about it.  Hoping for a little warmer next week.

2015-01-10 1:41 PM

User image

Originally posted by Dominion

So how did everyone (in the U.S,) deal with the cold weather this past week?  Did training suffer or were you able to get your work in despite conditions.  I did pretty well and got it all in except 1 run so I feel pretty good about it.  Hoping for a little warmer next week.

Chris, living in New England, I do essentially all of my winter training indoors. I mean, it does get colder down in my unheated basement, but nothing like it is outside! :-) Went to the pool this morning for a swim, then spent 40 minutes or so shoveling the drive way. Is there a place to put the shoveling in my training log? LOL

Monty, way to save that jersey! I play in a recreational flag football league and I would suffer great pain to get my jersey off before I ever let them cut it. I broke my ankle back in 2008, which luckily did not require them cutting anything off. It wasn't easy getting my high-top cleats off, but they managed. Welcome to the group!

Randy
2015-01-10 4:58 PM
in reply to: #5080137

User image

Wakefield, Massachusetts
No big weather impact here. I moved the trainer from my ingested garage to my semi-heated porch a month ago. I decided to hit the treadmill for my runs instead of going outside, but might have done that anyway given that my knee's been touchy lately.
2015-01-10 7:39 PM

User image

Well in Colorado its 50 one day then -11 the next so indoor trainer is getting a lot of use ??. I have been bundling up for runs but if I get home late from work I often opt for trainer since dark and ice don't mix...guess the weather is trying to force me to practice swimming...
2015-01-10 10:31 PM
in reply to: #5082054

User image

We had snow here earlier in the week so that pretty much ruled out doing too much outside. I moved the bike in to the trainer not too long ago anyway but ended up joining the local Planet Fitness so I could use their treadmills. I'll probably keep the membership until the weather gets better and then go back to running outside.

Brendan

2015-01-11 8:24 AM

User image

Subject: Swim training strategy
Time for some swim training strategy. Last year was my first year swimming in a competitive setting. I went from barely being able to complete 50 meters to feeling competent to feeling confident. Of course, this was all at the sprint distance. This year, I want to step up and complete an Olympic distance tri where the swim is nearly 3 times as long.

I'm trying to decide which is a better approach.
1. Slowly, but methodically, build my distance up to the full event distance and then worry about speed. My plan would have me be at full race distance at least 2 months before my race. All of my swim training would be geared strictly towards distance until I reached the full event distance.
or
2. Mix up my training between both distance and speed. It means that I would not get to full race distance until closer to the event. I would be adding distance at a slower rate than using method 1, but I would be faster along the way.

Anyone think one approach is better than the other? I think if I was running, I might use approach #2 and mix speed and distance training. But with the swim, I feel like it is most important to make sure I can complete the event distance before worrying about how fast I am and initially had decided on approach #1. If I got tired on a run, I could take a walk break. I won't have that luxury on the swim. Curious how others have trained or what their thoughts are.

Thanks!
Randy
2015-01-11 1:01 PM

User image

Subject: RE: Swim training strategy
NAME: Hi everybody, I’m Neil another Brit, looks a great group already, would love to be part of the gang.

STORY: Started running about 10 years ago, a new years resolution which stuck! I progressed from 5ks through to marathons and then decided to give triathlon a go. I struggled with swimming (and still do), hadn’t done front crawl before, but managed a few sprints and have done 5 olympic distance triathlons now. I missed most of 2013 and 14 due to back problems which I still have to manage, so in that time gained my British Triathlon and British Cycling coaching qualifications and have coached children through to beginner adults since which has been great fun. I’m not doing much coaching at the moment as I am focussed on building my fitness back up as I turn 50 in March and have signed up for the UK 70.3 in June, my first long distance tri!

FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 daughters aged 16 and 13, cat called Pluto!

CURRENT TRAINING: Starting to build my running and cycling (mainly indoor at the moment), swimming is a bit of a problem at the moment due to my back but will start easing my way back into the pool in January.

THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: So far a 10 mile running Race in 2 weeks and the UK70.3 in June

BODY COMPOSITION: No real goals and pretty lean, will hopefully get leaner as I pick up the training

I'm looking forward to being part of the group.

Cheers

Neil
2015-01-11 2:52 PM

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Randy,

I don't think one is exclusive of the other.  If your form and technique are decent then the more volume you can get in, the faster you will become while at the same time increasing swim fitness and allowing you to swim longer distances.  I read somewhere that "If you can run a mile, you can swim a mile" and if you think about it that really is true, and in many ways swimming is much easier.  

Most of my swim training for the Olympic and Half distance racing consists of hard 50's, 100's, and 200's.  So sure those are designed to build speed, but if you can knock out a hard sets at those distances, then a slower/steady paced 1500 will be no problem.  Go out and swim the 1500 as a confidence swim before your event, but no need for a lot of long slow training swims.  You'll gain much more by pushing harder on shorter sets.  

I'd be willing to bet that if you go out and do 3 or 4 training days of at least 2500m of 100's and 200's, then you will be able to handle a 1500 at easy pace, and be surprised at how well you do it.  

2015-01-11 3:12 PM
in reply to: Neil65

User image

Veteran
Deep South, Georgia

Originally posted by Neil65 NAME: Hi everybody, I’m Neil another Brit, looks a great group already, would love to be part of the gang. STORY: Started running about 10 years ago, a new years resolution which stuck! I progressed from 5ks through to marathons and then decided to give triathlon a go. I struggled with swimming (and still do), hadn’t done front crawl before, but managed a few sprints and have done 5 olympic distance triathlons now. I missed most of 2013 and 14 due to back problems which I still have to manage, so in that time gained my British Triathlon and British Cycling coaching qualifications and have coached children through to beginner adults since which has been great fun. I’m not doing much coaching at the moment as I am focussed on building my fitness back up as I turn 50 in March and have signed up for the UK 70.3 in June, my first long distance tri! FAMILY STATUS: Married with 2 daughters aged 16 and 13, cat called Pluto! CURRENT TRAINING: Starting to build my running and cycling (mainly indoor at the moment), swimming is a bit of a problem at the moment due to my back but will start easing my way back into the pool in January. THIS YEAR'S RACES/EVENTS: So far a 10 mile running Race in 2 weeks and the UK70.3 in June BODY COMPOSITION: No real goals and pretty lean, will hopefully get leaner as I pick up the training I'm looking forward to being part of the group. Cheers Neil

Welcome Neil,

Would love any insight into your coaching experiences that you would be willing to share.  I started coaching last year, and just worked out a deal with a local shop to coach their team this year.  Still new and learning a lot on the coaching front, but enjoying the experience and trying to learn and share every day.

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Dominion's Sprint/Oly/70.3 Group--Closed Rss Feed  

of 36

RELATED POSTS

Jim Kelley's (Birkierunner) General and Long Course Group (OPEN) Pages: 1 ... 16 17 18 19

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 29310 Posts: 460

2015-06-05 9:09 AM BlueBoy26

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 1, 2009
author : mrmarkcole
comments : 37
Or why an Ironman 70.3 may not be your best choice for your first triathlon.

date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09
date : August 21, 2008
author : TriChica
comments : 8
I thought of all the times I didn’t attempt something I wanted to do because I was too afraid of trying something new or of failing completely.

date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.
date : January 1, 2008
author : jgosse66
comments : 0
Here is my five step plan for getting mentally prepared for next year’s Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, or any other race that you may have.

date : October 4, 2007
author : jgosse66
It was the morning of Ironman Newfoundland 70.3, I felt queasy. I didn't want to eat or drink anything. I had a full blown case of the pre-race HEEBEE GEEBEES.
date : June 6, 2006
author : Ingrid Loos
comments : 4
A bad race left me smoldering, but time and a gentle breeze ignited my passion to race again.

date : July 17, 2005
author : chrisandniki
A Navy Seals program modified specifically for triathletes. Heavy on the running, swimming, push/pull-ups and sit-ups, will you find yourself man (or woman) enough to finish?