United States
Georgia Veterans Memorial Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 27s
Overall Rank = 118/184
Age Group = 24-29
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Ate a pancake and bacon, drank a cup of coffee, talked to friends I stayed with in Cordele and realized I better get my butt over to GA Vets before I was late. Got dressed in about two minutes, pulled gatorade out of freezer, and drove like a crazy woman from one side of the county to the other. Good thing this tri wasn't in Atlanta.
Event warmup:

Ran from car to sign-in, back to car, pulled bike out and ran to body-marking, which was quite convenient because they did it as you were coming into the transition area. Set up my transition area, and then realized I was on the wrong rack (this is the first year GA Vets has had specified bike racks, so a ton of people got penalities for racking their bikes incorrectly). After all that mess, I didn't have time to get nervous or even think.
Swim
  • 10m 29s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 37s / 100 meters
Comments:

Placed myself near the start of the pack for my wave, which really helped. I didn't swim over near as many people this tri, but I did almost swim into one guy's lap from the previous wave - he was backstroking. Actually passed some people from the previous wave, and had minimal breast stroke this year. They used really big bouys, so that was nice. (time included running from the water up to T1)
What would you do differently?:

Not kick so hard in the beginning. I think I panicked a bit there. Oh, and test out the tri shorts and top before using them in a race, although they did really, really well. Run faster coming out of the water.
Transition 1
  • 01m 18s
Comments:

The other ladies on my rack were gone when I got there. Must have been in the speedy 30-35 AG. Rinsed feet off, shoved on my running shoes, snapped on my helmet and actually ran with my bike to the mount line.

Nothing, really.
Bike
  • 46m 34s
  • 13.6 miles
  • 17.52 mile/hr
Comments:

It was so nice to go from hill training to flat racing - I will never, ever complain about the hills in Athens again (okay, that's a lie). Going from hills up here to the flat of south Georgia completely rocks! I have never had such good times on the bike. It was like butta, baby. I didn't get passed as much this year, and I passed more people - even some guys. A pregnant woman and I played tag until she finally passed me for good. One downer was that I thought for sure that I'd get a penalty. My chin strap came loose from one of its buckles, and there was no way I could stop and fix it without losing some serious time. I tried to keep it tied, but it wouldn't stay, and one of the times I decided just to leave it, one of the course officials comes riding by. I thought for sure I was busted. I made sure it was tied when I came into T2.

Check my helmet as well as my bike before the race. He could have given me a penalty and there would have been nothing I could have done about it. And take my gatorade out of the freezer earlier. It was a while before I could get much to drink.
Transition 2
  • 00m 26s
Comments:

I still have toe cages, so T2 went smoothly. I did forget my race number. I didn't get around to buying a race belt, so I was just going to tuck it in my tri shorts. I was so focused on getting out of transition that I left it laying there.

Get a race belt.
Run
  • 30m 42s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 54s  min/mile
Comments:

I was glad I took a gu on the bike, although I wasn't sure about it at first. My shoes squished from the water they took on during the bike, but other than that, no problems really. It was so cool to be able to cheer for JoyfullySo (Larissa) during the race, along with others from her group. And my friend from Cordele who got me into tris in the first place was her usual speedy self. I got to cheer for her as she was coming in, and I was starting out.

Get clipless pedals/shoes so my running shoes don't get wet during the bike. Do more speed drills. Get a tri top that absorbs less water.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, talked to Cindy, a reporter from the Dispatch who used to work for me. She was there photoging the race. Got some water, talked to more people, ate a banana and a sausage dog (yum!). Got to meet DarrellC and hang out with his lovely wife JoyfullySo/Larissa and their kids. Oh, and Darrell was smokin' this race - came in fifth in his AG with a time of 1:13:25. Wow.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of speed training on the run. But, really, I knocked 11 minutes off of last year's time and I came in second in my age group and I'm really proud of that. This race was so AWESOME! Seeing improvement makes me want to work even harder next year. And the hardware was so cool - a running hat instead of the usual trophy. This year, I don't think there was any way to go much faster. And that's an awesome feeling (well, until I do want to go faster...).

Event comments:

Georgia Multisport did a really good job again this year. I really, really like their events. The course is good, challenging enough, especially for me, to keep it interesting.

Last updated: 2006-05-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:10:29 | 400 meters | 02m 37s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 0/184
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: U-shaped
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 88F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:18
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:46:34 | 13.6 miles | 17.52 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Wind: Little
Course: Loop-ish. Two pretty sharp turns and a few hills, but mostly flat.
Road:  Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:26
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:30:42 | 03.1 miles | 09m 54s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/3
Performance: Average
Course: Out, turn around, over to a loop and then back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-21 4:56 PM

User image

Master
Athens, Ga.
Subject: Georgia Veterans Triathlon

2006-08-21 5:04 PM
in reply to: #517945

User image

Master
Winder, GA
Subject: RE: Georgia Veterans Triathlon

Way to go Steph! You rocked this race! Knocking 11 minutes off your previous time is awesome!!

Are you going to do any more races this year?

2006-08-21 5:30 PM

Extreme Veteran

Fan-Steph-tastic job! Congrats on a great race and some nice improvements over the past year! Glad that the bike was "smooth like budda", cause that's how biking's supposta be...

"And that's an awesome feeling (well, until I do want to go faster...)."  You crack me up

Keep up the great training!

2006-08-21 7:39 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Great Job and a great time!
2006-08-21 9:05 PM

User image

Veteran
Dothan, Alabama
Stephanie, you did phenomenal! Dropping 11 minutes off your previous time, and getting a bragging hat to prove it has got to make you feel good. What did J think?

You're too fast to stop now for the season. One more tri, come on, just one more. You know you want to.

BTW - thanks for the kind words. I'm really pleased overall with how I did, but next year I'm shooting for a hat like yours.
2006-08-22 10:38 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Nashville TN
ok you were sooo incredibly awesome. If I didn't love you so much and you weren't so dang cute I would be so pissed at you!!! I have been busting my hiney all summer and you come out here and just fly thru the course!!! dang girl!! you rock!!! Ok I am sooo not going to be able to keep up with you at Virginia beach.

2006-08-22 12:50 PM

User image

Alaska

Great race! Awesome bike time.

Sounds like you had a busy weekend and now you get to sit back and enjoy it!

Congratulations!!!

2006-08-22 1:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on the race. Knocking 11 minutes off your previous time is spectacular!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Georgia Veterans Triathlon Rss Feed