General Discussion Race Reports! » Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Aberfeldy, Scotland
United Kingdom
Perth & Kinross Leisure
19C / 66F
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

This is a big event for the Stirling Tri club. Loads of people doing the full event and a lot of teams. I was doing the swim for one team and the run for another team. The tri club had rented a bunk house so we stayed there the night before. Early to bed seemed to be the theme so went to bed at around 10:00pm.
Event warmup:

I have never met the guy that was doing the cycle prior to my run so spent some time looking for him but failed to spot him.
Swim
  • 34m 17s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 48s / 100 meters
Comments:

Loved the swim.
The water was a bit cold but not as bad as last week at Portobello. Started quite far back to avoid any stramash at the start. Just enjoyed the whole swim, had plenty of room most of the time and no problems rounding any of the bouys. Most of the second lap I reckon I was at the head of a pack but too far away from the guys in front to do any drafting.
A couple of guys passed me on the homeward straight, so upped the pace and tried to keep up with them. Arrived at the water exit ramp on the LHS where the ground was a mass of boulders and loose rocks, I discovered afterwards that the RHS had been cleared.
What would you do differently?:

The swim was great, the only thing to change would be exit 5 yards to the right.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Ran into transition and removed my wetsuit, shook hands with Alasdair and wished him good luck on the bike. I then spotted the guy that would be cycling in my other team (the number on his leg was a give away) so I introduced myself and tried to imprint his shirt patern to memory.
Bike
  • 00m
  • 55.92 miles
  • 0.00 mile/hr
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

T1 and T2 were in different locations so after watching all the bikes leave T1 I drove to Aberfeldy with Z & C. We wandered around Aberfeldy a bit and generally all got anxious waiting to head off.
Stood in a kind of pen affair waiting for my cyclist to arrive. About 15 mins later than predicted he came in (I recognised his shirt still). Shook his hand and headed off.

Made so many mistakes. Generally should have sat down and relaxed much more.
Run
  • 1h 58m 26s
  • 13.05 miles
  • 09m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was good and bad. It was quite a lonely run as I was running all by myself barring the people that overtook me. As so many Stirling tri people were doing the event though for the first three miles there was a steady stream of people passing doing the last bit of their cycle to shout out greatings to. After this you could then watch out for the fast guys finishing there run and then once round the turn point check out whose where.
Pretty much ran out of steam on the last three miles, the last mile is quite up hill which was a killer.

I should have done some more longer runs prior to this race.
Post race
Warm down:

Loads of people to chat to and see how they had got on.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2006-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:34:17 | 1900 meters | 01m 48s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Suit: Orca speedsuit
Course: Two laps of a triangular course on loch Tay
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 14C / 57F Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 55.92 miles | 0.00 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:58:26 | 13.05 miles | 09m 05s  min/mile
Performance: Average
Course: Straight out and back route that basically follows the cours of the river Tay.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-22 12:40 PM

User image

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
Subject: Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon

2006-08-23 6:42 AM
in reply to: #518747

User image

Expert
Kansas
Subject: RE: Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon

we in America don't shake hands with out teammates in T1 we threaten their very lives and say stuff like "I just swam my a__ off so you better bike like the wind punk or you dog gets it!!!!"

Great swim by the way!!! Just curious why did you pass on the bike portion?

2006-08-23 8:21 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2006-08-23 11:29 AM

Veteran
Stirling, Scotland
OK guys, I admit it. I'm a big chicken.
I had heard that the bike leg was a nightmare - very hilly. I will try to do the whole thing next year (maybe).
The main point of the exercise was accomplished though - I beat the wife at the run leg. It's just a shame I'm too scared to gloat.
2006-08-23 11:40 AM
in reply to: #519603

Expert
Kansas

don't gloat.... good call

Pulch - 2006-08-23 11:29 AM OK guys, I admit it. I'm a big chicken.
I had heard that the bike leg was a nightmare - very hilly. I will try to do the whole thing next year (maybe).
The main point of the exercise was accomplished though - I beat the wife at the run leg. It's just a shame I'm too scared to gloat.

2006-08-24 8:51 PM

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Nice swim!  That is a great time....I agree with Ott...don't gloat over your wife.  It could get nasty :-)

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Aberfeldy Middle Distance Triathlon Rss Feed