GetRacing.com
30F / -1C
Overcast
Total Time = 20m 25s
Overall Rank = 2/164
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 7:15am since we still had to pick up the packet at the race. Had half a banana and half a toasted bagel with peanut butter. Left the house at 8:00am. Temp was around 28F so went with tights, long sleeve spandex top and a technical t-shirt, and ditched the beanie for my typical cap. Got there around 8:25am. Wore my thermal capo cycling jacket for warm-up
Event warmup:

Ran about 1.5 miles and had some aerobics class style warm-up led by a pair of boot camp type instructors. Diteched the jacket and beanie after warm-up as it was getting pretty hot.
Run
  • 20m 25s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 05s  min/km
Comments:

Lined up about 3 rows from the front and anticipated the kids lined up at the start to go out quick but tire out. I had my eye on 2 guys who looked fast (saw one of them warming up and he had good running form). 1 of the kids and an older guy took the lead on first half mile and I was within 5 seconds of them in 3rd. The other guy I was watching passed me right before the first mile and he seemed to be in control so I just ran behind him as I was thinking that he would speed up and I will try my best to keep up with him and have him drag me up to the leaders. Right around 1.5 miles, we both caught the kid who was now in 2nd place and the older guy with very high cadence had put some distance - about 10 seconds or so and pulling away. I realized that I was faster on the downhill than the guy I was running with and decided to accelerate and create a little gap. Was able to pass him for 2nd but 1st place guy was now about 20 sec ahead. I tried to catch him but was starting to feel gassed and also had tightness on my right hamstring so was a little worried. Tried to keep going and tried to keep cadence high - not used to racing over threshold this long but tried to keep it going. I wasn't making much headway on the leader but 3rd place was not too far behind me so I had to push. On the last turn with about 100m to go, I had a chance to look back and saw that I had about a 10 sec lead so just made sure I didn't get caught in a last minute sprint. Saw that the clock had turned to 20:00 so wasn't going to get into 19:xx and ended up with a 20:25. PR for a true 5K race (my previous PR was on a sprint triathlon on course that was probably short 100m so this was actually my fastest pace yet. Set PRs for 1km and 1-mile according to my Garmin. Turns out that 3rd place was actually in my AG so I ended up taking 2nd overall and 1st in AG.
What would you do differently?:

This was first 5K run in probably 4 years so was just establishing baseline for this season. In hindsidht, I think I marked the wrong person and should have gone after the old guy early in the race and he may have been able to motivate me to stay with him and have a shot at an overall win. No cramps so had room though the tight right hamstring was worrisome. Good race though considering I haven't done a short distance race in a while and I can build on it. I hope to get under 20:00 this year. This was actually a PR for a stand-alone 5K run for me by about 30 seconds!
Post race
Warm down:

Not much, just jogged for about 200m or so up an down the finishing area to cheer other people coming in. Walked around and then stayed in the car to keep warm while waiting for awards ceremony.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of 5K specific training. I had some base from the half-marathon/marathon and half-ironman training but really need to get used to racing the shorter distances again and get more efficient in running.

Event comments:

For a smaller race - this was pretty organized. Nice raffle prices (2 oakley sunglasses and a fitbit) at the end.

Last updated: 2015-01-10 12:00 AM
Running
00:20:25 | 05 kms | 04m 05s  min/km
Age Group: 1/9
Overall: 2/164
Performance: Good
Course: Semi loop using same stretch of about .75 miles at start and at finish. Course ran around McKinney neighborhoods. Not really flat, but not super hilly (just no flat sections - either gradual incline or gradual decline.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-01-11 12:14 AM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: Fight Back 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Fight Back 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Blue Back Mitten Run 5k

Started by mtnbikerchk
Views: 1291 Posts: 4

2014-12-12 12:52 PM laffinrock

Winship Win The Fight 5K

Started by tb1000
Views: 802 Posts: 1

2013-10-09 10:14 AM tb1000

Back in Shape 5K

Started by deutsch
Views: 666 Posts: 1

2007-06-25 5:53 PM deutsch

Fighting Irish 5K

Started by Lt_Dallas
Views: 690 Posts: 1

2005-06-14 11:46 AM Lt_Dallas

WABC Fight Against Prostate Cancer

Started by jlc1608
Views: 911 Posts: 1

2004-06-22 12:22 PM jlc1608
RELATED ARTICLES
date : December 14, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 2
What is the recommended way to recover from a cycling-related lower back injury?

date : October 8, 2009
comments : 3
I knew I needed to make a commitment to a lifestyle change. Encouraged by other weight-loss surgery runners, triathletes and even Ironmen, I set goals to become an active triathlete.
date : June 11, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
We all have our reasons for what we do and why we train. I liken my fight against heart disease to Gandalf, and his memorable “You shall not pass” scene.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.
comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.