Houston Marathon Committee
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 22m 23s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got to the George R Brown Convention Center early. I always like to hang out and enjoy the atmosphere
Event warmup:

What is a warmup
Run
  • 00m
  • 26.2 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I didnt expect much. I had been injured for about 5 weeks so I didnt run. I ran a couple of 10 - 12 milers the last week in December than ran the Texas Marathon on New Year's Day at the uninspiring time of 4:21:16. Between that and Houston, I did one 19 miler the Saturday before Houston.

Standing in the corral, it was kinda tight. My hand touched the butt of the guy in front of me about three times. I kinda kidded with him that I really wasnt doing it on purpose. He told me it was OK, and then he started hitting on me! Yikes. (I am a guy.) I kinda moved to the other side of my Brother In Law who was in the corral with me. He kept asking me my name.....Finally, the gun went off!!!!

My plan was to try to hold a 9:25 pacee until mile 18, then start my run/walk. I actually maintained a little better. I was hovering around 9:17-9:921 until about mile 20 when the wheels came off.

I kinda had a good time, though. I am a high ranking officer in the Houston Police Department so all along the course, the officers working crowd control were shouting my name and encouraging me.

The new start on Washington is much wider than previous marathons of the Elysian Viaduct and into The Heights. I am glad I brought a water bottle belt because the simultaneous half/full courses got really crowded at the water stations. After the half split, they becamse more managable.

Miles 0-12 were really flat on the new HM course. At mile 12, the course goes over the Westpark overpass. Maybe a 35-40 foot climb. It didnt bother me too much. About a mile later, the course goes under I-69 and has a pretty good climb out. Again, I was ok. At mile 15, the course turns away from downtown when kinda gets disheartening but such is the marathon.

At about mile 17,the course turns back toward downtown and the finish line. Around mile 18, I was passing some guy on his right. He made a sudden swerve to the right. I move to he left, and me made a sudden move to the left. I tried to get around on his right again, and he move that way again. I told him, "hold your line. You almost knocked me down." He replied with a loud and forceful "F Off!" Everyone around him was stunned and voiced their displeasure. I asked if that was really necessary and he told F off again! He was a joy!

I decided to pick up the pace a little to get away from him but he continued to run on my shoulder. So, I slowed...and he slowed. About that time, I passed some police officers on crowd control. They hollered my name and gave me some encouragement. This happened twice more in quick succession. Mr Congeniality turn to me and asked if I was a cop. I told him that I was actually a chief with the local department. He then sort of apoligized and said he got caught up in the heat of the competition. I let him know it was not big deal....but kharma might be up the road waiting for him.

About mile 20, I was cooked. I got there at about a 9:29 pace. Not good, but better than I expected given my recent lack of training. It was run walk time.

For about the next two mile, myself and a female runner kept alternating running and walking. When one of us was running, the other was walking so we kept passing each other. I finally stopped next to her and told her, "You should quit playing hard to get. If you want to run with me, just say so."

She laughed and told me I was crazy introduced herself as Rebecca in a British accent. That lead to conversation and we decided to pace each other for the last 4 miles. We had spome nice conversation that took our minds of the pain. It wasnt long before more police officers were shouting for me again. After about the third time, she said, "So, you are obviously an officer." I told her, "No. I get arrested alot." She stopped running to laugh a little.

At about mile 25.5, a group from my running club was along the barrier and shouted my name and began cheering. I really needed that. Rebecca asked if I knew everyone in Houston.

We were really tired, and she asked where the finish line was. I pointed out the 13 mile flag on the other side of the street (from the Half Marathon course) and I said its just 1 tenth of mile, dont stop now! We turned the corner, and there we were. We crossed the finish line together, high fived each other and went to get out medals. It just so happened that I recognized the girl who gave me my medal as a fellow student in my MBA program from 2008. I greeted each other and Rebecca asked if there anyone I didnt know. Funny!

We both thanked each other for pushing us to the finish. I wished her a great rest of her stay in Houston and went in the GRB to collect my shirt, glass, and hot breakfast. All in all, it was a good day.
What would you do differently?:

I have had much faster 26.2's. But none was as enjoyable as this one.
I started the run with a buddy of mine who was in much better shape today (he finished in 4:08) and my BIL who ended up finishing in 4:36. We staying together until about mile 13, when they both dissapeared - one up the road and the other down the road.
Post race
Event comments:

Houston Marathon #6 and overall marathong #27.

Last updated: 2015-01-19 12:00 AM
Running
00:00:00 | 26.2 miles |  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Course: Houston is a relatively flat course. There is an overpass at 12. Then at 13,5 there is a underpass you go under and back up. Between mile 23 and 25 there are a few underpasses along Allen Parkway that can bite you.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-01-19 8:28 PM

Subject: Houston Marathon

2015-01-21 4:04 PM
in reply to: #5085159

User image

Veteran
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Houston Marathon
Good job! I did the half and was very happy with that decision when the race split at mile 8. However, I am impressed with those that take on the full distance.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Houston Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Houston Marathon

Started by run_4_snakes
Views: 1421 Posts: 1

2006-07-20 12:37 AM run_4_snakes

Houston Marathon

Started by rbolen
Views: 1781 Posts: 2

2006-01-22 9:24 PM csgomez

Houston Marathon

Started by JeepFleeb
Views: 1842 Posts: 9

2006-01-20 9:01 AM OldAg92

Houston Marathon

Started by velasqu7
Views: 2739 Posts: 12

2006-02-01 10:15 PM mtnchick13

Houston Marathon

Started by Vertigo
Views: 1616 Posts: 1

2006-01-15 7:14 PM Vertigo
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 30, 2011
comments : 0
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : April 22, 2009
author : AMSSM
comments : 1
After the Marine Corps Marathon, I started developing left lower/lateral leg pain late in my marathon training and pushed through it.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.
date : December 27, 2004
author : trilover
Interview with three-time Ironman World Champion Peter Reid

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : czone
At one of my last swim sessions the week of my first Ironman, one of my training partners told me how she was envious..."your first Ironman is fun, you have no pressure and no expectations!"

date : October 24, 2004
author : BrianPBN
I can't say it enough, the feeling of treading water for that final minute, helicopters over head, Mike Riley's Iron-voice over the P.A. - just awesome. I cannot believe I'm here!