United States
City of O'Fallon
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 31m 26s
Overall Rank = 62/240
Age Group = 20-29
Age Group Rank = 2/25
Pre-race routine:

got up bright and early. race sight by 6am. good transition area.
Event warmup:

no time, started quickly
Swim
  • 04m 12s
  • 300 yards
  • 01m 24s / 100 yards
Comments:

I have to work on flip turning and crossing back under the lane lines. I say this after every race, yet never actually do it. I must work on this cause i lose so much time here. I swam a 300 yard set faster in training than i did in the race and this is so frustrating.
What would you do differently?:

I wish there was the opportunity to warm up at every race, because swimming cold really kills me. I could feel my shoulders were tight in the pool, which i think really hurt me in the swim.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

I am clumsy so running up those stairs with wet feet was quite an accomplishment for me. I am suprised i didn't fall flat on my face!! Then once up the stairs had to run a little incline to get to my spot. Found my spot pretty well. Transition could have gone a little faster, but that's something i need to practice.

Practice putting shoes and socks on wet feet.
Bike
  • 1h 01m 21s
  • 18 miles
  • 17.60 mile/hr
Comments:

I really enjoyed myself on the bike. I felt like i really pushed it hard, which may have caught up with me in the run.

Maybe try and pace myself some more. Practice my gear changing some more on the bike, one of the big hills probably would have gone a lot smoother if I had switched to my smallest chain, but i was afraid of dropping the chain, as that happened to me in a race before.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Had to dismount at the top and run all the way to my transition near the bottom of the hill. Whooh the legs were JELLO. At this point i was thinking my legs weren't going to make it through the run, i wasn't sure they were going to even support my body weight, but sure enough they did. I had put my sunglasses on for the bike, but took them off here because it was so overcast.

Nothing, i thought this was pretty smooth
Run
  • 25m 53s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 08m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

HMM, Lets analyze my race so far shall we.

Kerri's age group rank in swim : 2
Kerri's age group rank in bike: 3
Kerri's age group rank in run: 8

Can we say weak spot?? Yeah i definately gotta get some consistency in my run training. Its killing me in races, especially races where a few seconds make all of the difference.

How I felt on the course: I really couldn't feel my legs for about the first mile. After that I felt like i had a good pace/stride going for the flats, the hills however killed me. I might as well have been walking up some of those things, thats how slow my legs were moving. I just kept telling myself one foot in front of the other you can do it.

For me holding 8:30 minute miles at the end of a hard bike isn't bad, it's just the other girls are much better runners.

Work on my running some more and do it consistently.
Post race
Warm down:

walked around a little, had a bananna, sat curbside with Laura (mrs. getsome) to cheer on getsome, soozey, run joe run, and my manager from work Amy who also races. We didn't meet carree5 and her husband until the lunch/awards portion of the event. It was a really fun post race i had a great time meeting and talking to everyone. BT People are totally awesome!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I didn't get much sleep the night before but that seems to be usual for me. I really think not having a swimming warm up kills me!!

Event comments:

Really enjoyed the race. The competition was fast. The volunteers were good and the course was clearly marked. (I have a paranoid fear of getting lost on a race course). I really like it when they have attendance prizes such as nice bikes. One can always dream of winning a nice new pretty bike, alas it was not meant to be. Maybe some day.

Last updated: 2006-07-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:12 | 300 yards | 01m 24s / 100yards
Age Group: 2/25
Overall: 16/240
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: nice swim in the pool. Set up was ideal. Started fifteen seconds apart and seeded by time so i didn't run over the person in front of me and didn't get passed from behind.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:01:21 | 18 miles | 17.60 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/25
Overall: 0/240
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Nice course with rolling hills and a couple of challenging climbs. I took off and never looked back got into a couple of duels here and there along the course, which always helps me keep my speed up. I rock um on the flats and small hills, but always lose it on the climbs. Man thats frustrating!! The course was really pretty though, I even saw a group of wild turkeys in the middle of the road. This was my first time using a hammer gel during a race. Not sure how i feel about them just yet. I had it already mixed in my water, as i think they are kinda gross, especially straight from the package.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:25:53 | 03.1 miles | 08m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 8/25
Overall: 0/240
Performance: Average
Course: First mile and a half hills galore. Not so enjoyable at the time, but a good challenge looking back on it. I'm just glad it wasn't really sunny cause the run would have been hell with hot sun beating down.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-23 10:41 PM

User image

Expert
Phoenix, AZ
Subject: Alligator's Creek Triathlon

2006-08-23 10:52 PM
in reply to: #520369

User image

St. Louis, MO
Subject: RE: Alligator's Creek Triathlon
Awesome report...I love reading different ones from the same race. And great race, of course!
2006-08-24 1:06 PM

User image

Expert
St. Louis

Well done Kerri.  You had a great race overall!  I bet it won't be long before your run ranking matches your outstanding swim and bike rankings.

Keep it up!

~B

2006-08-24 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Springfield, MO
Good job! You should be proud.

RE: swim warm up
I saw a couple of people trying to swim in the kiddie pool, it was 2.5 or maybe 3 feet deep, before they started. I don't think it worked very well and it looked pretty funny.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Alligator's Creek Triathlon Rss Feed