General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your solution to crappy live race coverage Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-03 11:04 AM

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Subject: Your solution to crappy live race coverage
ITU has once again raised the bar with their coverage. This year they will be broadcasting all 10 locations, 25 events LIVE (w/ DVR capabilities), in HD, along with having all 25 previous championship races archived for your viewing whenever, and add in the past 3 years of all races archived as well.

This is a far cry from WTC coverage that everyone complains about and the races only last :50-2 hours in total, perfect for a trainer session.

Good announcing, good commentary, live splits (accurate), many angles, basically everything you want from Kona but never get.

It's also an olympic qualifying year so the racing will be plenty good.

Yes, it costs money,….about the same price as a box of gels

https://triathlonlive.tv

FIrst races are this weekend in Abu Dhabi.

2015-03-03 11:11 AM
in reply to: bcagle25

User image

Subject: RE: Your solution to crappy live race coverage
Awesome! Thank you, Ben! :-)
2015-03-03 11:32 AM

User image

70.3 and Ironman racing is fairly boring anyway.  Unless it's a stacked field like the WC race for either distance, I have no interest in watching.  Most long course races have fairly thin fields and the race gets pretty predictable with with 45-75 minutes still left in the race.  There is also only so much non draft biking I can watch before I fall asleep.

Even if the WTC matched the ITU's coverage of their events...I still would probably not bother watching all but a few races.  So it's probably in their best interest not to invest tons of money into live TV coverage.  At least from my selfish perspective.

2015-03-03 11:52 AM
in reply to: Jason N

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by Jason N

70.3 and Ironman racing is fairly boring anyway.  Unless it's a stacked field like the WC race for either distance, I have no interest in watching.  Most long course races have fairly thin fields and the race gets pretty predictable with with 45-75 minutes still left in the race.  There is also only so much non draft biking I can watch before I fall asleep.

Even if the WTC matched the ITU's coverage of their events...I still would probably not bother watching all but a few races.  So it's probably in their best interest not to invest tons of money into live TV coverage.  At least from my selfish perspective.

Agreed and I don't expect them too.

Even if they did it bog for Kona, its a Saturday in October. Awesome bike weather, college football, etc would always be tough to get my attention at their pinnacle event.

That said Challenge is doing….better with the coverage and it is still snoozefest. I feel asleep watching both Dubai and Bahrain no more then 5 miles into the bike.
2015-03-03 4:25 PM

User image

Elite
PEI, Canada

Yeah, it's a pretty good deal for what you get.  I usually pay it every year expecting to watch it more often and then don't.  This is the year!   

2015-03-03 7:15 PM
in reply to: axteraa

User image

Extreme Veteran
I've been waiting for this to go live, it's a great deal imo, especially since I haven't watched a lot of the archived content either!!

Excellent trainer material ^_^

2015-03-04 7:09 AM

Master
Northern IL

Originally posted by bcagle25

Agreed and I don't expect them too. Even if they did it bog for Kona, its a Saturday in October. Awesome bike weather, college football, etc would always be tough to get my attention at their pinnacle event. That said Challenge is doing….better with the coverage and it is still snoozefest. I feel asleep watching both Dubai and Bahrain no more then 5 miles into the bike.

Whereas I had to pull myself away mid-bike as it was getting late for me. Be interesting to see what happens with the various races. Challenge has their new high dollar ones and IM has attempted to get more at least somewhat competitive races with their new structure.

2015-03-04 10:13 AM
in reply to: brigby1

User image

Expert
Madison, Wisconsin
Originally posted by brigby1

Originally posted by bcagle25

Agreed and I don't expect them too. Even if they did it bog for Kona, its a Saturday in October. Awesome bike weather, college football, etc would always be tough to get my attention at their pinnacle event. That said Challenge is doing….better with the coverage and it is still snoozefest. I feel asleep watching both Dubai and Bahrain no more then 5 miles into the bike.

Whereas I had to pull myself away mid-bike as it was getting late for me. Be interesting to see what happens with the various races. Challenge has their new high dollar ones and IM has attempted to get more at least somewhat competitive races with their new structure.

And the IM Melbourne start list just came out, for a regional championships I think it's lacking the star power in terms of depth as they hoped. Small size field, with a lot of the stars racing last week in Dubai. Curious to see how Frankfurt does in comparison to Roth where the prize money isn't as deep as the middle eastern races but the atmosphere and environment is the richest anywhere.
2015-03-04 10:58 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Pro

I like it and I want to see it become profitable enough for bigger outlets to take notice.  Televising IM's is never going to grow the sport.  Hell, unless someone is competing near death, ala Julie Moss, the general population isn't going to tune in......and even when they do, to watch that type of spectacle, it does nothing but further ingrain the idea that triathlon is a niche sport for crazy people.  There are enough ITU draft legal races in the WTS series to allow people to become a fan of certain racers, and the racing and spectating is exiting to watch.....it's good television.

This is the only way to grow the sport outside of participating.  And like it or not, draft legal racing is going to become a bigger and bigger part of the sport through all levels.

Edited by Left Brain 2015-03-04 10:59 AM
2015-03-04 11:46 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Pro

Originally posted by Left Brain

I like it and I want to see it become profitable enough for bigger outlets to take notice.  Televising IM's is never going to grow the sport.  Hell, unless someone is competing near death, ala Julie Moss, the general population isn't going to tune in......and even when they do, to watch that type of spectacle, it does nothing but further ingrain the idea that triathlon is a niche sport for crazy people.  There are enough ITU draft legal races in the WTS series to allow people to become a fan of certain racers, and the racing and spectating is exiting to watch.....it's good television.

This is the only way to grow the sport outside of participating.  And like it or not, draft legal racing is going to become a bigger and bigger part of the sport through all levels.

I love it

I'm buying the package deal even if I don't end up watching them all. Trying to put my support and $ towards where I think it should go in this sport! (also why I'll likely never do another IM brand race again, but that's another story)

2015-03-06 12:49 AM
in reply to: Left Brain

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Gonna buy it too. Looking forward to DL races in 2016+

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Your solution to crappy live race coverage Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Kona Live Coverage???

Started by jgerbodegrant
Views: 1153 Posts: 4

2010-10-02 1:38 PM Dino019

Wildflower live coverage

Started by trimantri
Views: 1476 Posts: 3

2009-05-02 4:56 PM Revbigdog

nyc mary live coverage

Started by sappho96
Views: 887 Posts: 5

2007-11-04 1:19 PM possum

Velonews Live Coverage of Tour de Georgia

Started by tech_geezer
Views: 807 Posts: 2

2005-04-22 5:32 PM zakk

*LIVE* Olympic Triathlon Coverage

Started by aphoric
Views: 912 Posts: 13

2004-08-15 1:15 AM aphoric
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 26, 2009
author : Coach AJ
comments : 2
New products from Prologo, Lake, Avia, Orbea, Ceepo, Jamis, Zipp, Profile, Scott and Specialized.

date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.