General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back after a baby Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-03-05 7:00 PM

Subject: Coming back after a baby
Hi all! Last year was my first year of triathlon, and I got hooked. I did pretty well - won my AG at a couple of local sprints - but it got cut short when I found out I was pregnant in August with my second child. I did one more race after that, but cancelled what was to be my first Oly due to crazy overwhelming pregnancy fatigue. I'm not due for another month, but am really looking forward to getting back into the groove.

I'm not setting any crazy goals this year. I'd like to do a couple sprints and maybe get in enough shape to finish the Olympic I cancelled in Sept. Any tips from other moms on coming back? I'm a little scared of postpartum biking, and wondering how painful running will be with nursing boobs. My gym has free childcare, so I think it will be awesome for both mental and physical health. I work too so I know my training time will be limited, but I'll mainly just be looking to get back in shape and do what I can.

2015-03-06 9:25 AM
in reply to: MMW37

User image

Veteran
Great White North
Subject: RE: Coming back after a baby
My friend Danelle Kabush has a great blog about being a mom triathlete. She races Pro in XTerra and 70.3 Distance events. She is also a PHD in sports psychology.

http://danellekabush.com
2015-03-06 9:42 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
I just had baby #2, 2 weeks ago, and will be on the same trek you are this year. I definitely think a Olympic is doable in September. I'm only going to go for a sprint this year (I've done sprints up to half Irons), mainly because I want to see how fast I can get on the 5k. Also I coach rowing, and with two children I'm not sure I can put in the time I want, to be as fast as I hope to be at the longer distances. I'm not stellar, but I'd like to beat my old times .

Suggestions: get a REALLY good sports bra. Don't worry about the bike, by the time you get on it it should be fine.
Good luck on the journey!

Happy Training
Jessi
2015-03-06 9:46 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Texas
One more thing. With time short after my first child this website really helped me get my strength back and do short at home workouts when my daughter wasn't sleeping well. Workouts are pretty short but intense.

https://zuzkalight.com/category/workouts/
2015-03-06 9:56 AM
in reply to: kanoelani

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

I had a baby in June 2013 so i missed the 2013 tri season which is short here but I did start running fairly quickly. I did get fitted with a good sports bra right away - and although it was awkward with nursing it was a priority. I got a bra with adjustable straps so i could lock down more or less and started with run/walk. With those bras I really didn't feel too strange out running.  I am smaller chested so it may be different for you.  

I did chuckle at nursing after a run in a sports bra - but it felt good to be doing things that made me feel like me. 

I actually went back to biking sooner than I thought mostly because my hubby encouraged me and it was a nice way to get out of the house in the summer. I did a gran fondo 50k bike early that September with a few friends.  It was good and I don't remember having any particular discomfort getting back on the bike (I had had stitches so i was worried). I didn't start riding for hours and hours right away.  

Just do what makes sense to you. There's no rush - listen to your body but also do what you can - if it's more- cool, if it's less - cool. 

2015-03-06 9:57 AM
in reply to: kanoelani

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by kanoelani I just had baby #2, 2 weeks ago, and will be on the same trek you are this year. I definitely think a Olympic is doable in September. I'm only going to go for a sprint this year (I've done sprints up to half Irons), mainly because I want to see how fast I can get on the 5k. Also I coach rowing, and with two children I'm not sure I can put in the time I want, to be as fast as I hope to be at the longer distances. I'm not stellar, but I'd like to beat my old times . Suggestions: get a REALLY good sports bra. Don't worry about the bike, by the time you get on it it should be fine. Good luck on the journey! Happy Training Jessi

Congratulations! 

2015-03-07 12:17 PM
in reply to: #5098338

Thanks ladies! I love my growing family, but am finding myself really looking forward to getting some of "me" back. I'll check out that blog, thanks! Any suggestions on where to go for an awesome sports bra? I'm 36C in normal life, but was 38DD when nursing my first. We have big box sports stores and one locally owned running shop, or regular dept stores. I've always worn cheap ones in the past...
2015-03-07 7:03 PM
in reply to: #5098695

User image

The Moving Comfort Fiona style rocks. You adjust the straps from the front so you can loosen them quickly and pop a boob out. knowing that I could get a boob out wicked fast made me feel better about cranking out "just one more mile." You can find them at lots of running stores but the sizing chart is pretty accurate so you can order from Amazon or whatnot pretty simply. Congrats on the babe!
2015-03-07 7:05 PM

User image

New user
My son is 7 months. I had a c-section so there wasnt a concern with the bike afterwards. I have mine set up on a trainer so I usually do that after he goes to bed. I also bought a BOB running stroller but haven't been able to use it yet because of winter.
I am very fortunate that my parents are close and want to spend a lot of time. The other thing that I feel is helpful is I started planning out my week on a white board. Since time is limited I really needed to schedule, something I've never done, but I am actually doing better with it.

As for nursing, I haven't found it uncomfortable.

Originally posted by MMW37

Thanks ladies! I love my growing family, but am finding myself really looking forward to getting some of "me" back. I'll check out that blog, thanks! Any suggestions on where to go for an awesome sports bra? I'm 36C in normal life, but was 38DD when nursing my first. We have big box sports stores and one locally owned running shop, or regular dept stores. I've always worn cheap ones in the past...

I hated the thoughts of spending a fortune on sports bras for a short time but I found a Moving Comfort Fiona bra on sale and I loved it. I ended up buying a second one. It has adjustable straps and provides great support. I am pretty much the same size as you when nursing. Highly recommend.
2015-03-09 1:35 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Master
Toronto
Bronze member

Originally posted by MMW37 Thanks ladies! I love my growing family, but am finding myself really looking forward to getting some of "me" back. I'll check out that blog, thanks! Any suggestions on where to go for an awesome sports bra? I'm 36C in normal life, but was 38DD when nursing my first. We have big box sports stores and one locally owned running shop, or regular dept stores. I've always worn cheap ones in the past...

I went to the running specialty store in my neighbourhood so i could try them on before buying. 

Edited by juniperjen 2015-03-09 1:35 PM
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Coming back after a baby Rss Feed