United States
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 12m 23s
Overall Rank = 795/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 492/
Pre-race routine:

Got up and got coffee and a bagel with peanut butter. Got to the race 2 hours ahead of time with Mike and Cindy.
Event warmup:

Walked from the car to pick up badge and back. Then back again.
Run
  • 7h 13m 29s
  • 30.5 miles
  • 14m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

On the first loop, Mike and I kept up with Cindy for 2.4 seconds. The first mile or so was on the road--and there was a lot of positioning by runner. During this part I think we paced pretty well. Then we hit the single track for the next six miles. We ended up running with a pack--which was nice. We had one river crossing, where I got my feet wet. Not the best thing.

We got back Cool and I hit the porta-potties and the first aid station. Then is was a long downhill down past highway 49 by the American River. It was spectacular. I reloaded water and continued onward. The next section Mike and were with the pacers of the MOPers. They were really funny. Then, we started the incline up. I met up with a local, Karen, who was pointing out some of the former trails and where the course headed along the Western States Trail. I passed that group on the uphill. Then we ran along the top of the mountain for a while. That was a lot of fun. As we started to head downhill, I could feel a little tightnes in my left calf--but I worked it out. Then, it was up goat hill--which was tough. There were great cheerer on that hill. It flattened out for a while, and we grinded along the way. At one point, I started to look around and slipped into a bush! Mike and the guy behind him, thought it was the funniest thing--and it was. Then it happened. I hit a patch of mud--my left calf completely cramped up. I was hurting. I walked/run for a while. I asked Mike to take off--but he stuck around waiting for me to catch up. At the Highway 49 crossing I asked him to take off--and make an effort to complete the race in 7 hours. He reluctantly took off. My quads started to cramp up too. I was surprised as I had been popping salt tabs from about mile 15 on. I decided that today was not my day and I wasn't going to be able pull it out, so I walked the rest of the way in! There were a ton of people cheering me on. I walked all the way back into the finish, not my proudest moment--but I got it done. Mike and Cindy were at the finish to wish me congratulations.

I ran a great marathon--it was a shame this was a 50K!
What would you do differently?:

My training up until a month ago was pretty solid. Then between work and home, I ended up skipping much of the millage. This was the core problem for this race.
Post race
Warm down:

We headed over to get the post race meal--which was pulled pork and vegetable soup.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training

Event comments:

An amazing race--solid race director. I would recommend this and any of her other races. A++++++.

Last updated: 2015-01-01 12:00 AM
Running
07:13:29 | 30.5 miles | 14m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-03-08 11:17 AM

User image

Expert
Lafayette, CA
Subject: Way to Cool
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Way to Cool Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

PWC Cool Night Classic

Started by nigelw
Views: 2116 Posts: 1

2009-11-05 2:13 AM nigelw

Cool Breeze Computrainer Series

Started by medic0020
Views: 947 Posts: 1

2007-12-11 7:40 AM medic0020

Cool Breeze Computrainer Series

Started by medic0020
Views: 874 Posts: 1

2007-12-10 7:47 PM medic0020

Cool Breeze Cyclery Computrainer Series

Started by medic0020
Views: 917 Posts: 1

2007-11-06 1:26 PM medic0020

Start Global Cooling

Started by ScotinSeattle
Views: 664 Posts: 1

2007-05-24 6:47 PM ScotinSeattle
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 5, 2010
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Do you struggle to hold your power output indoors versus outdoors? The keys to this problem are due to lack of cooling and the flywheel effect.

date : September 3, 2005
author : Jen Doyle
Often athletes forget the fitness basics such as warm up and cool down. We know they are important, but we want to get into the meat of our workout without wasting time.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"On a six-mile tempo run is the warm up and cool down miles"

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 3
Program details of the 16 week sprint triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.
Program details of the 16 week sprint triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.

comments : 6
comments : 9

Program details of the 16 week olympic triathlon training plan including details on the swim, bike and run routines.