General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need inspiration? Here's my story... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-24 8:39 AM

User image

Cheese Country
Subject: Need inspiration? Here's my story...
2006: It’s been a year of transition, challenge, and redefinition. I feel like I've just made the journey from caterpillar to beautiful butterfly. In January I set out to lose weight and redefine the way I live, eat, and feel. I did all the right things; talk to the doc, join the gym, got a trainer, read up on nutrition. It paid off, I lost 35 pounds by early summer! Woohoo! But by this time I also needed something to keep me motivated through the summer. Someone told me about the Waupaca WI Triathlon. While it sounded interesting I was skeptical at first thinking, “Oh, that’s big. I don’t know. I’m still a beginner at all this ‘fitness’ stuff!” If I only knew what lay ahead…

I decided what the heck, my only goal is to finish. I could at least finish, who cares how long it takes me? I started training and boy oh boy did I train; swimming, biking, running, and many days having to do two in one day. (Who’s idea was this anyway?!)
Trying very hard to remember one of my favorite lines, “Its the journey that counts not the destination!” So that means I’m supposed to be having fun during this training right?!
AND yes most of it was truly fun: getting to meet and hang out with many new people!

Like Sarah Reinertsen; The one and only above-the-knee amputee in the world to successfully finish the Hawaiian Iron Man. She’s totally normal and just like you and I! I couldn’t believe how down to earth, sweet and just plain “normal” she was! Huh… who’d have thought?!

I successfully completed 3 months of strict diet & training, now it’s a day before the event. Whew… I at least made it through training.

Friday Morning: Woke up, hmmm… less than 24 hours to the start of the event. Fighting back the butterflies, explaining to myself that” I’ve practiced and trained as much as I possibly could to get to this point and I’ll be just fine!” Easier said!

Received many encouraging emails including a “tear jerker” from my big brother. Ugh.. all these people telling me to do my best and coming to town to see me. What if I don’t finish? Ugh… the pressure!

Friday Evening: Around 5 PM I helped out with the kids triathlon which was so fun and encouraging. What a boost it was to yell and encourage them to keep moving towards the finish line. And the announcer at the finish line – wow! If he hoots and hollers that much for me tomorrow it will all be worth it!! Day dreaming; “Here comes Dezz of Waupaca WI – this is YOUR finish line!”

Got home at 8PM to pack, prepare and go to bed early. Packed the car, loaded the bike, checking tires, chain, levers; OK – ready. “I KNOW I’m forgetting something!” Run through the entire event in my head again… and again… uh and again.

Trying to sleep – YEA RIGHT!

Saturday Morning: Up at 4:30! Oh boy, here we go! How could those butterflies have possibly gotten ANY bigger? Yikes! Make my breakfast shake, walk the dog, re-run through the event in my head re-checking everything already packed.

Hydration: Trying to drink everything in sight – it’s humid… I’m going to sweat a lot, I’d better hydrate!! Ugh…. I’m full and I gotta pee every 10 seconds but I better drink some more!! UGH… full…… eyeballs floating…

EEEEK! Its 6AM, it starts in 1 hour! WHAT? I have to park a MILE away from the event? Do you realize I’ll soon be biking 20 miles at top speed??!! Are YOU going to give me a ride in so I can conserve my energy??!!

Transition Area Setup: There’s just enough room to park my bike and place all my gear in front of it. Run through the event YET AGAIN making sure everything is in its place: socks, shoes, goggles, shirt. OK

Bike Safety Check: “Yes, hello I’m here for the motor please. What? No motors left? Stunt double maybe?” Bike passes check with flying colors!

Swim Prep: WHAT? I have to walk HOW FAR in just my bathing suit? Gee thanks!! All these people that look like professionals, oh boy I’m in trouble! Just how big can butterflies get anyway?!

Gazing out over the lake… uhh… who’s in charge here? The lake got longer since my last swim! Fear sets in. Is it normal to feel like I’m going to puke? Maybe I’m not ready. Maybe I didn’t train enough.

THE WISTLE!! EEEK!! Here we go!! Oh crud… Ok… 2 hours and it’ll all be over… just 2 hours to go… and it starts now. Walk into the water with a group of 50, jumping, running, diving, splashing, GET OUTTA MY WAY!! Trying to swim but can’t get my stroke going cuz there’s just too many arms, legs, bodies, splashing. UGH! How far??!!

The swim totally sucks, I got kicked in the chest, head and scratched all up. People swim and just don’t care about WATCHING where they go! They plow right over the top of you! Running up the beach I fought the urge to punch every last person getting out of the water right then and there!

Oh yea, I’m here for a triathlon – run to my bike, put shoes, shirt, glasses, helmet on… hurry.. must get to the bike start line. Ok I’m off…. I got this… About 10 miles into it the hills start, ugh… hills… LOVE THEM! Now searching my memory to try and remember why the hell I signed up for this abuse!

Oh oh… the church steeple is in sight – only 2 more miles to go. Only 2 more bike miles then 3 miles running. I can do this thing! I got it!

Jump off bike… oh – oh - legs not working, feet numb. Hey legs! Are you there?? Hello hello?? MOVE MOVE!! Only 3 more miles to go! Hmmm my brain seems to be working, but body not listening. I keep checking to make sure my legs are still there and moving. OK they are…. Let’s just keep moving in the general direction of FORWARD. What?! THREE MILES?? Um… can we meet in the middle and do 1.5?? PLEASE??

Running….. running slow… after about 1 mile or so my legs and feet remind me they are there ~ pain. My body is asking if it can’t just take a quick break. Oh oh 2 miles gone. OH yeah… I got this! I can do 1 more mile.

Finish Line in sight! My legs actually carry me over the finish line while the announcer calls my name and says this is MY FINISH LINE. YES YES it IS my finish line – for this exact moment in time it IS MY VERY OWN FINISH LINE! Oh oh!! I did it. Oh and there’s my family cheering me on. Oh crud don’t stop moving – I heard you can pass out from doing that… oh keep moving – hug family… Am I smiling? I hope so… I want to be - really, but I can’t feel anything right now.

Holy cow I finished. It’s over! I did it! How far did I go? I did?? HOLY CRUD I CAN DO ANYTHING!! ANYONE WANNA GO AGAIN?? (um… just kidding)

I am left with a feeling of “I can do anything.” I now know that I truly can do anything I set my mind to. 2006; from the sofa to triathlon! I started out wanting to lose a few pounds and in the end I have a completely new view on life, myself, the world, and everything in between. The only thing that will hold you back is not trying it in the first place! Like my new friend Sarah says, “live more, fear less!”

Watch out world, I finally have my wings and they’re gonna to take me places!

Edited by dezz17 2006-08-24 8:39 AM

2006-08-24 9:13 AM
in reply to: #520590

New user

Anoka, Minnesota
Subject: RE: Need inspiration? Here's my story...
Congratulations Dezz!!! Keep going.
2006-08-24 9:24 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Big congrats! I loved the story! I will be there in T minus 2 days, 22 hours and 6 minuites. Finish line here I come!
2006-08-24 9:30 AM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Great story! Congrats on your finish! So, when's the next race?
2006-08-24 9:47 AM

User image

Master
Denver
That's awesome !!

Go back a read it again...I almost cried I'm laughing so hard:

-I’d better hydrate!! Ugh…. I’m full and I gotta pee every 10 seconds but I better drink some more!! UGH… full…… eyeballs floating…

-Are YOU going to give me a ride in so I can conserve my energy??!!

-Bike Safety Check: “Yes, hello I’m here for the motor please. What? No motors left? Stunt double maybe?”

-WHAT? I have to walk HOW FAR in just my bathing suit?

-The swim totally sucks, I got kicked in the chest, head and scratched all up. People swim and just don’t care about WATCHING where they go! They plow right over the top of you! Running up the beach I fought the urge to punch every last person getting out of the water right then and there!

CLASSIC !
2006-08-24 10:02 AM

User image

Master
Des Moines, Iowa
Great story!  Congrats on all your accomplishments this year.  Hope you have many more stories like that to tell.  Way to go triathlete!

2006-08-24 10:03 AM

User image

Cheese Country
I'm so glad you enjoyed the humor. Hey, I laugh at myself every day so why not lift everyone elses spirits too?! I truly had fun with it all. I also STILL have this feeling of "i can do anything" and I'm using that to motivate others.

Next one is in Sept - wasn't originally on the radar but hey I can do anything! I may just WIN this one! ok - not really but it's good to have a goal!

Next year is a half marathon early in the season, then mutliple day bike ride for something (Aids or MS), then a few triathlons.

Dez
2006-08-24 10:07 AM

User image

Champion
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Bronze member
Thanks for sharing...So when is the next one? (And what is it ?)
2006-08-24 10:21 AM

User image

Veteran
Maryland
Answer to the question in subject line is, "YES!" And you definitely delivered! WTG!!

Thanks for sharing!

Larry
2006-08-24 10:45 AM

User image

Master
Indian Harbour Beach, Florida
Great story! Thanks so much for sharing, you ARE inspirational!
2006-08-24 10:47 AM

User image

Expert
Earth

Hey you did it, that is what counts. 

I can relate to the run, although I think I was wondering how the grand piano got hooked to the harness I was wearing (I think it was a grand piano, it sure felt like it) but I never had a harness on. 

2006-08-24 11:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
quebec's belly button
nice story! Way to go on the finishing of your first triathlon and to many more great times!
2006-08-24 11:22 AM

Great story, very funny! Thanks for sharing.

Amy
2006-08-24 11:32 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
East Aurora, NY

Congrats! 

As someone who is preparing for their first sprint tri (first any tri for that matter), I can relate to all of the work that is put into just getting to the starting line.  It is awesome that you toed the line and crossed the finish line.  My goal is to do the same thing in less than four weeks. 

Thanks for sharing your experience and thoughts. 

2006-08-24 11:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Bay Area- California
I have tears in my eyes! It takes a little of the fear away from my upcoming first sprint! Thanks for the inspiration.
2006-08-24 11:46 AM

User image

Gilbert, AZ
Congratulations!

I am inspired. I'm sure I will be experiencing all of the same emotions in my first tri which is in 2 days!!! (I can do it. I can do it. I can do it...) Thanks for being an inspiration to others! Best of luck in all future events!

2006-08-24 12:14 PM

User image

Master
Denver
All you noobs can do it too !!

I did a mini-Sprint in July and my first "real" Sprint last weekend with the same fears....

Bicycle experience plus sporadic training= win in the mini, and dead MOP (middle of Pack) on the Sprint. I am happy !
2006-08-24 12:27 PM

User image

Veteran
Tampa, FL
Wow, congrats and what a story!!!
Good luck with your 1/2 marathon training, as you said you can do anything!
2006-08-24 1:09 PM

Extreme Veteran
Northern California

Great post.  Thanks for sharing.  I'll read that a few more times between now and my first Tri in October.

Brad 

2006-08-24 2:32 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Great story! Nice reading! Congrats on your accomplishments.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need inspiration? Here's my story... Rss Feed