General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need insight on swim rolling Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2006-08-24 8:52 AM

User image

Expert
Subject: Need insight on swim rolling

Hi everyone.  I need some insight from all the fishes out there on rolling when swimming.  I feel Ive been doing fairly well in the pool, but not anywhere near having perfected technique or speed.  When rolling, how much are you supposed to roll....45 degrees?  30? 80?  Ive just been letting my stroke take me into my roll and Ive probably been staying around 30degrees or so in rotation when rolling.  Can anybody give me a little insight on this so I know if I got it right or not?

Thanks!

-Rob 

2006-08-24 8:38 PM
in reply to: #520614

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
Subject: RE: Need insight on swim rolling
I'm no fish, but 30 seems too low for open water where you have to battle waves and stuff. I don't think it's necessarily bad, but if you could increase it then you might have a better time breathing in tricky circumstances.
2006-08-24 10:07 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

To me its the turning of the neck that is key.  My PT boss thinks I have rubber neck.  If you learn to bilaterally breath then you don't want to roll to far.  BLB allow to time waves and fight the start.  At best I may turn 30 degrees in the water but mainly keep my elbows up and bent and body level.  

I like to concentrate on being able to breath with one google close or under water.  Keep your butt up and finish the stroke.  You put your hand in the water don't take it out till you have used all the water.  Drill-splash the water up at the end. 

2006-08-25 12:48 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

I am a new competitive swimmer but have done lots of reading and self retraining over the last 12 months. The thinking in swimming (total immersion the swim bible) says you should be rolling 90 degrees each side, never turn your head and maximize glide hydrodynamics. Yu need to read this book to get all the details but it has drastically changed my swim times, effort level etc.

2006-08-25 1:34 PM
in reply to: #522046

User image

Expert

Thanks for the insight everyone.

I paid a little more attention to it today when practicing bilateral and also when swimming normal and Im more like 45 deg or slightly more.  That way I dont really have to move my neck to breath and I have one goggle in, one out like Ive read in other places.  I keep high elbows and all that good jazz so from what Ive been reading in here and other places it seems like Im pretty well off. 

90 deg seems pretty steep.  I mean, how would you even get a good pull if youre completely sideways.....Im not arguing....just saying.  Itd seem that the last phase of your stroke would be sending you back and forth sideways through the water.

Again, thanks for the info!

-Rob

Edited by pseudoyams 2006-08-25 1:35 PM
2006-08-25 1:45 PM

User image

Expert
Medina, MN
It should be closer to 90 degrees than 30. You should feel like you're looking down your arms as they enter the water and stretch forward for the catch. The finish of your stroke should exit right alongside your hip. The entire last part of your stroke you're pushing back against the water to propel yourself forward, rolling your body shouldn't affect that at all, and it shouldn't change your direction. It's like a spiral when throwing a football, just because the ball is rotating doesn't make it change direction.

Edited by MLJ 2006-08-25 1:47 PM

2006-08-25 8:38 PM

User image

Master
Canandaigua

I'm no expert nor I have read of do much drill since I don't want to mess up a good thing.  Study other swimmers (good ones). 

I just have a hard time thinking turning your body 180 degrees with each stroke is effecient. 

I have never looked or read TI but the only thing turning your body is your arms or legs.  Wasted energy when a small turn of the head will do it.  Trying to pulls wetsuit down is also wasted energy when we buy it to float on top.    

2006-08-26 7:48 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph
As you read through TI it details the hydrodynamics of the swim technique and is not just theory it was developed after years of studying the worlds fastest swimmer ( ie most efficient) swimming is mostly about technique since pushing the body through water is much more difficult than air like biking but we will spend thousands of dollars on bikes to shave seconds off our bike time with aerodynamics!!! In the swimming it is even more beneficial 2 things help 1 a wet suit will lift you up and make you smoother (faster, less drag... 3 min in an OLY is the standard # used) now the 90 degree roll... it turns you so your front on profile is very narrow (more hydrodynamic) and you work on holding the arm out long and you are even more hydrodynamic ( long vessels are faster then short vessels (marine engineering more hydrodynamics) you will go farther faster with the same effort by reducing your hydrodynamic drag. Lastly the roll generates more force for your pull stroke ... just like in karate etc using the largest muscle group to generate force. It also changes your shoulder position / load easier on shoulder joint.
2006-08-26 7:56 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Guelph

continued from above (computer problem)

Now Dexter from your logs I can tell your a strong swimmer and this may not seem like it would help but I would bet that if you applied these techniques you would see an improvement also. I am only a begginer competitive swimmer but this has made a big difference for me, I am not up to your speeds yet but I still have alot of work to do. I have tried to summarize an entire concept into just a few sentences I think I captured the idea but you really need to read the book or work with someone who is a trainer / coach to really "get it"

2006-08-26 9:37 AM
in reply to: #522723

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
Just to build on what Tring at 44 said, the theory in TI (and I've found it works, although my swimming is awful, I've only been swimming for less than two months) is that the source of power as well as the ability to maintain the hydrodynamic "fish-like properties" is core rotation. That's what the 90* roll on each stroke is about. 90* might be a bit extreme, even for TI, in reality.
2006-08-26 12:27 PM

User image

Expert
Denver, Colorado
The thing with Total Immersion is that the author uses mostly faulty analogies to argue its theory. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the techniques promoted, but quite a bit of the rationale is illogical.

So, keep in mind this cult-like property.

Edited by skavoovie 2006-08-26 12:29 PM

2006-08-27 6:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
TI.... great for getting started and getting more confident... once you're through that - move on.

Look at Thorpe underwater, or Hackett - how much roll? Nowhere near 90'! 30-40' tops.

And agree with above poster on the hydrodynamic arguments used in TI - most marine engineers would laugh at you.
2006-08-27 11:22 PM
in reply to: #522839

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
skavoovie - 2006-08-26 10:27 AM

The thing with Total Immersion is that the author uses mostly faulty analogies to argue its theory. I'm not saying there is anything wrong with the techniques promoted, but quite a bit of the rationale is illogical.

Even though I enjoy the teachings, that was the first thing that I noticed about the materials. Sure the technique is sound (in my mind), but the descriptions are interesting.
2006-08-27 11:29 PM
in reply to: #523457

User image

Extreme Veteran
Coquitlam, BC, Canada
AusVirgin - 2006-08-27 4:20 PM
And agree with above poster on the hydrodynamic arguments used in TI - most marine engineers would laugh at you.

Well I, for one, am glad I don't know any marine engineers then! Enough people laugh at me already! Last thing I need is a bunch of nerdy water geeks laughing at me, too!
2006-08-28 1:56 AM
in reply to: #522839

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
skavoovie - 2006-08-26 11:27 AM

Can you elaborate on the faulty analogies? Just curious as to what parts I shouldn't be paying attention to.

I used TI for a while with significant improvements in time, decrease in neck & back pain while swimming. I have now "moved on" from TI, but not left it behind. By moving on, I am focusing on the underwater phase of the stroke which is not emphasized very much in TI, and finding again big improvements in my technique & times.
2006-08-28 1:58 AM
in reply to: #522723

User image

Coach
Stairway to Seven
Tring at 44 - 2006-08-26 6:56 AM

continued from above (computer problem)

Now Dexter from your logs I can tell your a strong swimmer and this may not seem like it would help but I would bet that if you applied these techniques you would see an improvement also. I am only a begginer competitive swimmer but this has made a big difference for me, I am not up to your speeds yet but I still have alot of work to do. I have tried to summarize an entire concept into just a few sentences I think I captured the idea but you really need to read the book or work with someone who is a trainer / coach to really "get it"

Dexter, your swim times are fantastic. Don't you dare drill TI and screw it up!

2006-08-28 5:52 AM
in reply to: #523773

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sydney
AdventureBear - 2006-08-28 4:56 PM

skavoovie - 2006-08-26 11:27 AM

Can you elaborate on the faulty analogies? Just curious as to what parts I shouldn't be paying attention to.

I used TI for a while with significant improvements in time, decrease in neck & back pain while swimming. I have now "moved on" from TI, but not left it behind. By moving on, I am focusing on the underwater phase of the stroke which is not emphasized very much in TI, and finding again big improvements in my technique & times.

All the stuff about "long vessel" and displacement etc... The reason a long stretch works is because it makes your stroke longer... the reason FQ works is it keeps you balanced... the reason body roll works is again, lengthening your stroke... so all the things are rights but just wrong reasoning behind them.

Also although TI approach, coaches etc (if you have a TI 1-1) do have a propulsive focus, none of the retail materials do - everything is about balance only. Great, but how far does that get you?

Now, I'm arguing this from the point of someone who's just had a very disappointing swim session (out of the water for a month) and so is planning a day of drills (many of them TI style balance drills) tomorrow, but also aware that by next week when I'm feeling better I will also be moving on again and focusing more on underwater stroke and feel - so lots of sculling, doggy paddle, catch-up etc.

Personally, if you are looking for a more holistic swim video etc - I really liked "Swim Smooth". He also runs clinics in Canada, and I think in the US.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Need insight on swim rolling Rss Feed