DLT Event Management Inc
102F / 39C
Sunny
Total Time = 7h 28m 23s
Overall Rank = 211/257
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/43
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30, had 2 cups of Coffee.. Stretched a lot then went to Waffle House at 4:15. Had my pre-race meal, 2 eggs, taters, waffle 3 slices of bacon, 1 piece of toast and 4 more cups of coffee.
Event warmup:

One of the first at race site. Stretched a lot, set up bike and Transition area. Pre-swam about 200 yards. Swam the course the day before.
Swim
  • 39m 40s
  • 2187 yards
  • 01m 49s / 100 yards
Comments:

Really had one of the greatest swims I've had in a race. Had a good pre-race swim. Pretty good starting point. Very surprised that I had a couple of very fast ladies past me. Geeezzzz. Water felt great and I did well navigating.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Just keep practicing and get in a Masters Swim Class
Transition 1
  • 03m 34s
Comments:

Swim time was a tad off. I stationed Flip Flops where I had to go and find them when I got out of water. Only problem was that I put them in a place that was before the chip crossing instead of after. So my Time was off by maybe 10 seconds.

Not much. Maybe swim with my Jersey on. Felt pretty good off though. I was not realy rushing. I was trying to do a lot of things right.
Bike
  • 3h 06m 6s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.05 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, this was a pretty dand tough course. You start off with a 5 mile climb. You have a small break crossing the dam, but it's not much of one. Keep climbing until you get to a road called "Little Brushy" Couple of good hills and one Death defing hill. I ould like to say that going down would have been great, but some biker a head of me bit the dust and as fate would have it the ambulance was coming up the hill to get him as I was going down so I didn't get to let lose. I Did get up to 44 MPH at one of my downhills:)
So here's the Story: Bike was going great...I was kick'in some major tail. Then mile 33 happened. Stated with the Hammy Cramps. Had to pull over 4 times for cramps. BIG cramps. Absolutly could not ride. Then had 3 more miles to go and chain came off. Damn the luck! This all started to make my day really bad. Thought I was hydrating enough, but obviously not near enough

More hydration, more work on the bike. Just time on the bike.
Transition 2
  • 03m 3s
Comments:

Just happy to be off the bike. Hammy's were kill'in me. Drank some water and Gatorade. No food though. LEgs felt horrible.

Eat and hydrate a lot more. NUTRITION, NUTRITION and NUTRITION
Run
  • 3h 36m 1s
  • 13 miles
  • 16m 37s  min/mile
Comments:

Holy cow, I don't know where to start. Suffice to say, I had already rode 25 plus miles with bad cramps so I was already deathly sore and still cramping. This is the worst run of my entire life. First 1.4 miles took me 43 minutes. Last one mile took me 29 minutes. We don;t have to talk about the rest. This was a two loop course and they gave out hair scrunchys to those on the second loop. I didn't race for times. I raced for that scrunchy, aid stations, and for survival. I had a medical guy on a 4 wheeler whatching me the last 3 miles. I would'nt even look at him or the ambulances that I kept pacing. I was so scared they were gonna pull me off the course. I'm a pretty good runner(sub 9:00 mile on Long Distance Races). The race director had good aid stations up (about every mile or so) I just couldn't get rid of the cramps. I had them in the calves, quads, hammys and abductors(inner thigh). I'm not kidding when I say that an everage person can walk 15 minute miles adn I couldn't even do that. Very traumatic run.
Here are a couple of funny stories: One is that my wife knows that I'm a pretty good runner. At loop 2, she didn't think I was gonna make it. WHen Lane (er_doc) got done with the race my wife went to lane and said she was worried about me. She also told er_doc that she was afraid that I was gonna be really upset at my performance for the race. Lane says: "No worries, Jesse and I won't make fun of him for a couple of days. On the bright side Amie, they only clap for the people that come in First and Last" Well, I got lot's of claps. Just so you'll know how bad I looked, I think people were clapping because they thought someone with cerebrel palsey had just finished the race (No pun intened). I was so cramped at the end, legs and all, that when I tried to smile at the end, my face muscles cramped. Now is that bad or what????

Where to start.

1.Hydrate on bike and T2 more
2.Run More
3.better nutrition. Gu and other stuff I'll make
4.Build a better base for heat racing
Post race
Warm down:

Here's the skinny on the warm down/ Right at the moment I crossed the finish line. My wife took a picture, I fell into her arms, one of my friends wives practically carried me to the medical bus. Once at the bus, I didn't have to tell thing I damn thing, they said the Paramedics had been watching me for awhile. They asked if I could lay down. I said hell NO. If i bent over my ABS would cramp and I would ball up. about 4 big ol' boyspick me up, layed me out flat and then they all wne to work on me. Packed me ice, rubbed my head, put 2 I.V.'s in me and fed me Gatorade 'cause I couldn't move my arms. Dang those guys and gals were great.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HA HA HA HA HA

Nutrition, Hydration and the same thing all over again.

Event comments:

I would like to say that post race activities were good, but by the time that I got out of medical tent there was no more pizza or food:(
The rest of the race was very well organized. Lots of food and drink stations (No help when your past the point of no return). Good race and I really look forward to next year, why?? I have no idea!!!!!!!

Last updated: 2006-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:39:40 | 2187 yards | 01m 49s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/43
Overall: 94/257
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Some wierd shape, definitly not a rectangle. Some freaky Triangle shape.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:34
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:06:06 | 56 miles | 18.05 mile/hr
Overall: 167/257
Performance: Below average
Wind: Little
Course: Well, this was a pretty dand tough course. You start off with a 5 mile climb. You have a small break crossing the dam, but it's not much of one. Keep climbing until you get to a road called "Little Brushy" Couple of good hills and one Death defing hill. I ould like to say that going down would have been great, but some biker a head of me bit the dust and as fate would have it the ambulance was coming up the hill to get him as I was going down so I didn't get to let lose. I Did get up to 44 MPH at one of my downhills:) Climbing back felt worse. Going back up the one HUGE hill was a killer. Had cramps for it and all. I cursed all the up. There were people walking their bikes up the hill. So glad to hit the last 8 miles. Was a decent break for me. Needed some down hills. First and last 8 miles, the road was rough as hell.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Below average Hills: Bad
Race pace: Too hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:03
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
03:36:01 | 13 miles | 16m 37s  min/mile
Overall: 229/257
Performance: Bad
Course: Course looked o.k. Lots of aid stations. Some shade, but no wind and the heat got up to 108 F Heat index. Regular HEat was 102 F.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %10%>
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 1
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-25 10:22 PM

User image

Subject: CATS - Half Iron (Iron Mt. Man)

2006-08-26 6:50 AM
in reply to: #522649

User image

Veteran
, Florida
Subject: RE: CATS - Half Iron (Iron Mt. Man)
No worries! It didn't kill ya, just wait until next year.

Oh yeah, ya may need to up your hydration, just a bit!

Good job on just finshing.

Edited by Brent1812 2006-08-26 6:53 AM
2006-08-26 4:14 PM

User image

Elite
Texas

Way to suck it up Tom! Check out http://www.infinitnutrition.com and get some good custom endurance drinks so you can smoke the next one. This stuff is great. I've been training in some serious heat (the heat index on my long run last week was 119!) and it's really helped me a lot. Take care brother.

2006-08-26 4:25 PM

User image

Queen BTich

Heh. So what were you drinking on the bike?

Some tips:
Dump the Gatorade. Go for some hard stuff like Bill said or Hammer Perpetum. You should be taking in lots of calories on the bike as well as Endurolytes....salt...lots of salt... Guess you learned a lot, huh?

Way to stick with it and finish. You've got a story to tell! Congrats for finishing and great swim!

2006-09-06 8:46 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
It sounds like you were missing electrolytes in your system. Try endurolytes or lava Salts in your next training. I set my watch to beep ever 15 minutes to remind me to eat a little, drink a little and stand up on the bike and stretch.

Do you know your sweat rate?

I bonked very badly in a race on the bike and walked the entire 13 miles of the run because I forgot to eat and drink. i was so happy i was doing well and beating my friends! they caught up to me and left me to the vultures! it was also very very hot at the race. It took me a long time to get over this race physically and mentally. You will get it together. How about doing someting for fun with your friends/family instead of "training"?
2006-09-06 9:39 AM

User image

Champion
Bellingham, Washington

Good job of gritting it out.

I first looked at your breakfast.  Bacon and eggs (unless you are use to doing this).   Sounds like lack of electrolytes.  Plus it was 102F and sunny.  I imagine it was super humid out also.

2006-09-06 9:48 AM

User image

Expert
Lake Geneva
Yeah, i almost forgot your breakfast has way too much fat in it to digest before the race. Next time try oatmeal or grape nuts with soy milk or rice milk. Dairy is also really bad before a race.
Hope this helps!
2006-09-06 8:42 PM

User image

The bacon and eggs were just because thats what I did for all my sprints.....I was trying not to break tradition or whatever.....trying to stay with the same routine.    Thank all of you for your thoughts.  I went to the lake this last weekend..no training.. lot's of eating and tubing.  I started running again, and back down to 194.  Good to go.  I'm going to study everything that all of you have told me.  I thought that maybe I knew what a BONK was, I didn;t know, but now I do.  Hydration, Hydration, Hydration, and fluid management.  Please keep your thoughts and knowledge coming.  I got marathons and my first IM in the next 12 months.  I'm going to get back on the horse soon.     THanks again.. you guys ROCK!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » CATS - Half Iron (Iron Mt. Man) Rss Feed