US Road Sports & Entertainment Group
50F / 10C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 55m 2s
Overall Rank = 958/3932
Age Group = F 35-39
Age Group Rank = 60/378
Pre-race routine:

Brad and I registered for this race in 2014 with the idea of doing a spring marathon and ticking a new state off of our list. My hip injury from 2014 resurfaced around February which resulted in many long runs being cut short. I finally made the decision to change my registration from the full marathon to the half. I was angry and upset. I felt like I wasted the first 3+ months of the year focusing on running for a marathon that now won't be happening. During that time of focusing more on running, it was a conscious decision to wait until after the marathon to increase bike volume. So here I was, not running the full marathon and feeling further behind with my biking...having a little pity party for myself. After exchanging a few emails with Coach Kim, she asked if I was going to PR the half marathon. My half marathon PR was in the spring of 2011 when I ran the Gettysburg Marathon relay (1:56.14...I did the first half and Brad did the second half. I had several reasons of why I felt that couldn't happen, but she pushed back with reasons it could happen and that started me on a more positive line of thinking.

It was great to be able to stay with Karen and Mike for the weekend and only be about 20 minutes from the race site. Saturday at packet pick up, I changed my entry from the full to the half. I learned they would have pacers for both the half and the full and signed up to run with the 1:55 pace group.
Event warmup:

I was up on race morning around 5:15 am for coffee and breakfast. We left around 6:00 am anticipating hitting some traffic closer to the race site (since it's 1 lane in/out). While traffic was slow, it was moving along. We parked and walked to see how long the bathroom lines were inside the track building. While it was warm, the lines were long so we opted to go to the port-o-potty lines. The weather was perfect. Mid-40s and sunny with a slight breeze. It was kind of chilly to start, but we knew it would be perfect running weather.

I decided to wear a short sleeved shirt, arm warmers made out of knee socks, thin gloves and run capris. In my morning clothes bag, I left a long sleeved shirt and pants for post race. We dropped our morning clothes bag off, took some pictures and then wished each other luck before me, Brad and Karen all split to go into each of our different corrals. I found the 1:55 pacer and stood nearby while trying to stay warm and listen to an awful rendition of the National Anthem.

I was in corral C and they had about 1 minute between each corral.
Run
  • 1h 55m 2s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Despite starting the run with a ss shirt, arm warmers and thin gloves, my hands (and feet) were cold. I crossed the line with the 1:55 pace group close by. Soon after we started, I heard the pacer mention she forgot her watch. Umm....ok. It wasn't a huge group, but it seemed most people wanted to be nearly right on top of the pacer. I tried to move over to get some room while keeping her kinda close. I didn't want there to be a gap and all of a sudden, she's gone. I tried not to look at my watch at all except during the mile splits. Just trust the pacer. The course had a lot of turns and while I tried to run the tangents, I still found the mile markers to be off from my Garmin.

The weather was perfect (sunny and cool) and it wasn't long before I peeled my arm warmers and gloves off (which I proceeded to carry the rest of the race despite the option of tossing them).

I took a GU around miles 4.5 and 9 and carried my small hand held water bottle so I could avoid the craziness of the water stops. I felt great during the first half of the race., despite some kind of annoying people (one singing to herself with her music from her headphones and another guy in our pace group barking out his pace so far for the race even though he started after us). My legs, lungs and energy all felt good.

From the start of the race and as each mile ticked off, I questioned if I could hold the pace I needed to PR, but I kept telling myself that there was no reason I couldn't. A new PR was here for me if I worked for it. Around mile 8, I could feel myself fatigue. I tried to turn my brain off from having 5+ miles left. I just focused on being in the mile I was in. At some point, I pulled slightly ahead of the pacer and pace group, but I knew they were only about 10 steps behind me as I could hear them (and see them at the turns). Somewhere around mile 9-10, the pacer picked up the pace a bit as the mile split was 8:3X. My legs were ok, but I could tell by holding on, my breathing was pretty labored. I kept the pacer and group in sight though.

The last few miles were tough. I was getting tired and kept doing math of how much time I had to break a PR. I didn't want to miss it by a few seconds. The half and full split around mile 11.5. The last stretch is along the ocean and we had a moderate headwind. The wind was cooling, but it also made it harder to keep going at that pace. I tried to tuck in behind people to get the advantage of their draft. I hit mile 12 and felt confident I would PR, but given how bad at math I am (especially during a race), I didn't want to chance it. The final mile hurt. I was so ready to stop running. I kept picturing the finish line where I could stop. After a few turns of the course, it was finally in sight. I crossed the line with a new PR of 1 minute 12 seconds and a huge smile on my face.
What would you do differently?:

Absolutely nothing. Well, maybe not doubt my abilities. Brad and Kim believed in me that I could PR. It just took a little for me to convince myself I could do it.

This race was just what I needed to kick off my season. While I was going into the race disappointed I wasn't able to do the marathon, I finished the race excited of a new PR and proud of my self and my efforts to dig deep and not take my foot off the gas the last few miles. I continued to tell myself as things hurt the last 5 miles that I've come this far and to not let the PR slip away now.
Post race
Warm down:

I was so happy to be done moving. I immediately stopped and bent over to catch my breath and enjoy being done. Grabbed a space blanket and medal and left the finish area to find some place along the fence line to wait for Karen. I saw her finish and met her at the end. We grabbed food and our morning clothes and linked up with her friends that were also running.

We were hobbly and navigated through the fenced off area to find a spot on the top of a small hill where we could see the course. I ran to the bathroom in the hotel nearby and just as I got back, Karen said we should move down to the fence line to wait for Brad. I thought it was a little early as it was only about 3:05 into the race, but was happy to watch the finishers. Brad had also been dealing with an injury and was going to decide at the split whether he was going to run the half or the full. He said he would probably be around 3:30 if he was doing the full. Pretty much as she made the suggestion to go to the fence and as we were walking down the hill, she said, "is that Brad?". Dear lord, yes it was. We were close enough to cheer him on and he heard/saw us. We then made a b-line back to the finish area having to deal with being re-routed with fencing/security. During the walk, I was looking up what time he needed to BQ feeling pretty confident he made it. We met up after he got food and his morning clothes bag. Karen and I were so excited to hear he ran a 3:08 with a PR and a BQ!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The piriformis was a little achy, but I didn't have the deep hip joint/hip flexor pain I've had in the past so that's fantastic!

Event comments:

This was a great race! It was extremely organized and well run. The post race activities were fantastic...the finish is right on the water, there are a lot of vendors and they proceed you through the finish line area with efficiency (medal, blanket, picture, food, morning clothes bag). The point-to-point race wasn't an issue as they had a ton of school buses to shuttle people after the race. The expo was very organized and really good. I liked they had pacers for both the half and the full. I would definitely do this race again and highly recommend it.

Last updated: 2014-11-06 12:00 AM
Running
01:55:02 | 13.1 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Age Group: 60/378
Overall: 958/3932
Performance: Good
Course: Point to point, starting at the Monmouth race track and ending on the ocean in Pier Village in Long Branch.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-04-30 8:10 AM

User image

Veteran
Reston
Subject: New Jersey Marathon

2015-05-01 8:42 AM
in reply to: #5111961

User image

Extreme Veteran
CT
Subject: RE: New Jersey Marathon
Awesome!!!!! Awesome!!!! Awesome!!!! Even though the physical accomplishment of a PR is great. The amazing accomplishment that you should be extremely proud of is the mental PR. Keep this with you as you train and race from here on out!!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » New Jersey Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

New Jersey Marathon Relay

Started by runnerg1rl7
Views: 1480 Posts: 4

2008-05-05 7:32 PM zipp1

New Jersey Marathon

Started by sgillen
Views: 1571 Posts: 6

2007-05-05 3:41 PM sgillen

New Jersey Marathon

Started by Miss_Bethy
Views: 1688 Posts: 7

2007-05-05 11:27 PM JenBunn1e

New Jersey Marathon

Started by trouble
Views: 1560 Posts: 1

2006-06-29 1:26 PM trouble

New Jersey Marathon

Started by jlc1608
Views: 752 Posts: 1

2004-06-09 3:12 PM jlc1608
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.
date : September 30, 2011
How do you incorporate marathon training into a triathlon training plan?

date : January 1, 2011
author : alicefoeller
Here are five steps to ensure that you keep your promise to yourself to get you to that first triathlon.
date : December 11, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 6
I just finished the NYC marathon on Sunday and I think I'm going to venture into triathlons. I am doing an Olympic distance and I want to do a 70.3 next year too. Any advice?

date : October 13, 2009
I signed up for Ironman Frankfurt, next year July - and I am very excited about it. I originally planned to run my first Marathon in the middle of September, but am not sure if this is wise.
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.