General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln National Guard Half Marathon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Lincoln National Guard Half Marathon - Run

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Lincoln, Nebraska
United States
Lincoln Track Club
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 29m 55s
Overall Rank = 110/8761
Age Group = 30-34M
Age Group Rank = 18/559
Pre-race routine:

Drank 2 ensures at 4:30 am. Friends came over and we drove an hour to the race. Had to make use of facilities twice so I missed my carrel. I didn't run more than 5 miles the past month since I had an overuse injury on my tendon on my left leg. I originally signed up for the full hoping to at least PR (3:21) and possible BQ (3:05). The leg injury really destroyed that goal. I thought about skipping race but at the last minute I decided to go ahead with it and walk off the course if I needed to.
Event warmup:

Err...it was 60 at the start and cold. I didn't wear a shirt, so I just stood there with my hands in my pocket but did a few butt kicks.
Run
  • 1h 29m 55s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 06m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

My pacing was spot on this race. More so, since I was winging what my goal time was until mile 1 was over. I just shot out of the start and told myself I'd slow down once I got tired. Never really happened until mile 11. Every lap was 6:40-7:00 with no stopping (aid stations had cups with straws...bonus!)

My tendon on my left leg started to ache after mile 3 or so and it kept getting worst. Nothing horrible but I was well aware that my cadence was a little lower than normal for a race (178) because trying to increase it started to cause pain.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe eat a GU before or during the race. I didn't eat anything during the race, even though I had one in my pocket. I had 4 small cups of Gatoraid during the race. I was pretty thirsty throughout the entire race and at mile 11 I began to really feel tried. I don't know if I was low on energy or just a mental thing.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around for like 20 minutes. My quads were about to cramp up like crazy. Weird feeling for me since I don't remember that ever being an issue but then again I know I probably overdid it with no running the past month. I made sure to walk around like crazy before I even thought about sitting down. I stood for another 10 minutes inside the station since it was pretty cool still (65ish). By the time my friends finished it was 70+.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Leg injury of course. Not training for a month didn't help me either. I was relying purely on my run base and bike fitness.

Event comments:

Race was awesome with lots of support. I normally run the full and that experience is 10x better. I'm used to almost being alone at the finishing chute with my name being called and me being on the stadium big screen. This time, people were finishing literally 1-3/second because I only did the half which is way more popular (~9000 vs 2000). It's a popular race for a reason though.

This is the first all out HM. I did as well as I could hope. I do think I could be a few minutes faster though, under ideal conditions (no injury and a real tapper). Garmin log: https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/764020615

Last updated: 2015-05-03 12:00 AM
Running
01:29:55 | 13.1 miles | 06m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/559
Overall: 110/8761
Performance: Good
I was wearing my HR monitor but it was there for shits and giggles it seems since I just wanted the data and I wasn't going to pace off it today. I don't know if I ever ran more than 20 minutes with my HR over 170 but at this race, I ran the entire 90 minutes with an average HR of 173. How? No idea. I just didn't want to give up, I at least wanted a 1:30 if I wasn't going to almost BQ doing the full.
Course: The course is pretty flat. It was more hills than I remember but that's probably because the 2nd half is pretty flat.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-05-04 12:07 AM

User image

Subject: Lincoln National Guard Half Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Lincoln National Guard Half Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Lincoln National Guard Half-Marathon

Started by adambrady
Views: 995 Posts: 1

2009-05-04 1:39 PM adambrady

Started by jeremy_424
Views: 1219 Posts: 3

2009-05-04 1:51 PM Bripod

Started by brynn
Views: 1386 Posts: 4

2009-05-05 1:00 PM Bripod

Started by lvthgme
Views: 1146 Posts: 4

2009-05-07 3:01 PM Nette213

Started by Slickster
Views: 1324 Posts: 3

2009-05-05 5:15 PM mjewen
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.