United States
Dallas Athletes Racing
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 10s
Overall Rank = 32/108
Age Group = 30 - 34
Age Group Rank = 5/13
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 4:15 and went to the bathroom, had half a glass of OJ and hit the road. I ate a banana and a Bonk Breaker in the car.
Event warmup:

Pumped up my tires, went to the bathroom (again) and did a short jog and some active stretches. I even made it in the water for a short swim. I was wearing a new wetsuit so I was glad I was able to get a few strokes in to get used to the feeling. I ate a gel about 15 minutes before the gun and I felt great
Swim
  • 28h 54m
  • 1500 yards
  • 1h 55m 36s / 100 yards
Comments:

I had a hard time sighting and still need to work on going straighter but overall I was happy with my swim. My goal based on my last race was to go slower in the swim so I'd have more energy on the bike and run which I did.
What would you do differently?:

Do a better job at finding some feet to follow. With so many people in the water and most of us being amateurs I'm not sure I'll be any better off following someone but the way I tend to zig zag I figure it's worth a shot!
Transition 1
  • 03m
Comments:

I parked my bike so close to the bike exit and the ground was really rough so I decided to forego the flying mount and put my shoes on and walk/run out. It was a good run to get to my bike but having wetsuit strippers made everything feel pretty smooth. I was surprised with my time here but given the long run to get to my bike I was overall pretty happy.

Run faster
Bike
  • 1h 20m 39s
  • 24.1 miles
  • 17.93 mile/hr
Comments:

After my last race where I started cramping on the bike which killed my run, I focused hard on keeping my cadence around 90 and not pushing myself too hard on the bike. I succeeded in not pushing myself but man was I slow! I usually ride the stationary bike at the gym once a week and ride outside once but somehow I need to get better on the bike. I was really disappointed with my time.

Ride harder
Transition 2
  • 01m 5s
Comments:

Once again had a long run to get to my "spot" but I got my feet out of my shoes before the dismount and looked like I knew what I was doing.
Run
  • 48h 30m
  • 10 kms
  • 4h 51m  min/km
Comments:

My goal was to run sub 8 minute miles which I succeeded in doing. I had to stop to work out a cramp around mile 5 but after 15 seconds or so I was back up and running. For the first 4 miles I was able to keep pace with someone running around 7:30 which helped me keep up a good pace.

Run more so I don't get tired 5 miles in and can finish strong.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a muscle milk, a zico and some water. I also went to the stretching tent and had someone help me stretch out my legs. What a treat!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I should have pushed myself harder on the bike. It might have led to a slower run but I sense that's what hurt my time. I was really hoping to do this one in around 2:30. Oh well, time to get ready for the next one!

Event comments:

This race was incredibly well organized. There were tons of volunteers and everything was well marked. I would definitely do this race again and highly recommend it to anyone in the North Texas area. I'll be back!

Last updated: 2015-04-15 12:00 AM
Swimming
28:54:00 | 1500 yards | 1h 55m 36s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/13
Overall: 19/108
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:20:39 | 24.1 miles | 17.93 mile/hr
Age Group: 9/13
Overall: 57/108
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:05
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
48:30:00 | 10 kms | 4h 51m  min/km
Age Group: 8/13
Overall: 31/108
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-05-14 11:37 AM

User image

Subject: TexasMan Olympic Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » TexasMan Olympic Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

TexasMan Olympic Triathlon

Started by d3term1ned
Views: 1182 Posts: 2

2012-05-20 8:09 PM Experior

Started by Jarv55
Views: 922 Posts: 1

2011-06-01 11:13 AM Jarv55

Started by Matt Faus
Views: 971 Posts: 1

2011-05-16 4:57 PM Matt Faus

Started by mibike4two
Views: 806 Posts: 1

2011-05-16 9:05 AM mibike4two

Started by Health_Doc
Views: 1260 Posts: 1

2010-05-17 11:26 PM Health_Doc
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : July 2, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Keep in mind that the taper period is as important to your body as all of the long hours you’ve put in the pool, on the bike and on the road. It is meant to help you rest, recover and rejuvenate.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.