Peachtree City, Georgia
United States
Tri Peachtree City
Total Time = 1h 25m 10s
Overall Rank = 197/736
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 24/72
Event warmup:

I got to my wave rally point and realized I hadn't done any warmup so stretched and did some running in place. I didn't have the pre-race jitters like my first race.

Unusual warmup moment, porta-potties to the right, and to the left, a guy peeing at the tree line in front of wave 6. Guess he was having pre-race jitters.
Swim
  • 13m 12s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 12s / 100 meters
Comments:

I caught myself starting to "jack-rabbit" so slowed down and settled in to my pace. I think coming to the Wednesday "night moves" helped me catch my "jack-rabbit" tendency. Good navigation but started to loose my timing chip just before the first buoy. Spent about 10 seconds re-attaching it securely. I swam in to a crowd just before the second buoy but got through it quickly. Picked up the pace about the last 100m. I remembered what Kelly said about her exit experience at High Falls and kept swimming til I got real close to the shore line and heard someone say 'stand up'. This made for an easy and quick water exit.

I like the 2x2 start and the showers coming out of the water. I knocked off 7min 10sec from my Indian Springs time.
What would you do differently?:

Recheck the velcro on my timing chip before the swim. Keep practicing T.I.and speed will come along.
Transition 1
  • 01m 30s
Comments:

I felt good about the shoes (no socks this time) and helmet but I stopped to take a sip of water. I thought I had a better T1 time but I may have miscalculated how far the swim exit to the transition area and how far the bike exit was. I shouldn't have stopped for water.

Wait til I'm on the bike to get some water.
Bike
  • 40m 31s
  • 13.2 miles
  • 19.55 mile/hr
Comments:

I felt real good on the bike except for the "barf burp" but at least I didn't heave like Indian Springs! The posted time was less than I thought because I forgot to mark my lap timer. The posted results also showed my average pace at 18.4mph but using the results and time actually calculates to 19.5mph on this this site, which is close to what I got on my computer. The 19.5mph also jibes with my training so I'm using 19.5mph as my pace.

The bike was good for the most part. I passed more than getting passed. On the return leg, as I was approaching Peachtree Parkway, the police officer was letting traffic through. I began whistling and yelling and finally got his attention but I had to slow down. He put up his hands to stop traffic but several cars went through anyway and one car stopped but not before partially blocking the road. I slowed down and got a little scared and kept looking around making sure all cars had stopped. As I went around the car blocking the road, I saw the officer yelling and the driver yelling back. The good thing about this was it pissed me off and after I got through the intersection, I hammered hard.

I have been practicing flying dismounts and tried it this race. However, what works in practice doesn't always work on race day. I got my right foot out and on top of the shoe, but when I went for my left foot, my right foot slipped off and the shoe heel pulled the pedal down, hit the road and came off. Spent 30-40 seconds retrieving shoe.

I knocked off 9min 25sec from Indian Springs time and on a longer bike course. I am very happy!

Practice flying dismounts more!
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

Well, I already had 1 shoe off and running to the rack was still good. Racking was fast and easy. I started to put on my race belt first but remembered to put it on as I run so threw it around my neck. Got my running shoes on quick. I'm glad the run exit was close to my T area.

I cut my T2 time in half from Indian Springs.

Again, practice flying dismounts more so I don't have to take off bike shoes in the transition area.
Run
  • 28m 57s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 09m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

It took me about a half mile for my legs to adjust from bike to run. Then I settled into what I thought was a good pace. I was looking for sub 9 minute miles but it looks like that didn't happen. However, I did shave 7+ minutes off my Indian Springs time.

And is it just me, or was the drinking water too cold? Not that I'm complaining about cold water, it just seemed like a shock to my system and I thought I might get a brain freeze.

I need to keep working on the Evolution running and do some more speed work.
Post race
Warm down:

Stretched and walked around after the run.

Event comments:

First, this was my 2nd tri and I beat my goal of 1hr 30min by 4min 50sec. I also knocked 24 minutes off my first tri at Indian Springs which had a shorter bike course. So, I have to thank my good friend Tony H. (my unofficial official coach) for helping me with a good training plan and making adjustments when the rest of my life got in the way. This race has really got me pumped up for my third tri, an Oly at Disney, next month.

It was good to see Don, Kelly, and Greg as well as make some new friends. Oh, I almost forgot, congrats to Kelly on taking home the hardware, #1 in her group!

After participanting in 2 tris and watching some others, I have to say the Tri-Peachtree City club put on the best race I have seen. It was awesome. It was very well organized, smiling volunteers, great music and post race activities.

Last updated: 2006-06-25 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:12 | 600 meters | 02m 12s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/72
Overall: 0/736
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Triangular, clockwise.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:30
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:40:31 | 13.2 miles | 19.55 mile/hr
Age Group: 21/72
Wind:
Course: Mostly flat with few hills.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:28:57 | 03.11 miles | 09m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/72
Performance: Average
Course: Slightly rolling course over golf cart/multi-use path.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 1:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Subject: Tri Peachtree City Sprint

2006-08-27 2:25 PM
in reply to: #523244

User image

Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Peachtree City Sprint

Great race, Craig. Just fyi, they are apparently using a 12.4 mile course length to figure average speeds when the course is really 13.2. So you were faster than reported.

Good luck at Disney, we'll see you next season!

2006-08-27 4:40 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on the race! You definitely had a big improvement over Indian Springs. Good job! Good luck at Disney.
2006-08-27 5:26 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Terrific race. Improving 7 minutes is a lot!
2006-08-27 6:12 PM

User image

Veteran
Douglasville GA
I was in wave 6 too -- we must have miss each other. Great race and congrats on your improvements....Cheers!!
2006-08-27 6:50 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock

Awesome job on shaving some serious time! I was bummed on the bike avg too until i realized the distance was short. Pretty impressive progress- good luck at disney, looking foward to reading your race report.

2006-08-28 5:14 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Great job on the race!  I think knowing the course makes a huge difference.  Good luck at Disney!  I know you will tear it up!

Kelly

2006-08-28 1:08 PM

User image

Decatur, Ga
Nice race Craig, you are defintely taking chunks of time off from your previous races. Your bike leg was fast! Best of luck at Disney I know you will do well.

Lee
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Peachtree City Sprint Rss Feed