General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Peachtree City 2006 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Tri Peachtree City 2006 Sprint Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Peachtree City, Georgia
United States
Tri Peachtree City
Total Time = 1h 27m 18s
Overall Rank = 236/750?
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 14/68
Pre-race routine:

Threw the bikes in the truck and drove 5 minutes to the race.
Event warmup:

Swam a little to check my swim curve. Seemed to straight!
Swim
  • 11m 14s
  • 528 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

This course is listed as .3 miles, or 528 yards, but the official results show me with a 2.01 pace. Whatever it is, I felt like I had a good swim except that I got stuck behind a crowd after both turns. This was disappointing since we were placed in waves based on self reported swim times, and I was in wave 3 of 9, where wave 1 was the ITU group that had a 10 minute head start.
What would you do differently?:

I don't know. I'm swimming faster in the pool but I think I become so concerned with navigation in OW that I forget to swim.
Transition 1
  • 02m 1s
Comments:

I'm not sure where the transition area started and the swim ended, but I may have taken too long getting through the shower. Other than that I seemed to be moving pretty good. My rack was in the worst place so maybe that hurt a little.

Hustle.
Bike
  • 38m 11s
  • 13 miles
  • 20.43 mile/hr
Comments:

I was winded right off the bat for some reason. My plan was to take it easy up the two largest hills to save my strength for the flats, but I think I would have been better off with the pedal to the metal the whole way. This time is about the same as my solo practice times on this course and I expected to be faster with the course closed to traffic. I guess the swim took more out of me than I thought.

I witnessed my first tri crash (I guess I should say not counting my own super slow-mo crash in this race last year), the guy two bikes in front of me couldn't make the turn onto Braelin Road and hit the curb and landed in the median. He seemed to be unhurt and was re-mounting as I went by.

I think I may work in some swim-bike bricks before next season, but I'm hoping to be a different triathlete by then anyway.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

I walked out of T2 to recover a bit, so it surprises me that T2 was faster than T1.

I can do fast transitions, I just haven't felt like I was really racing since early this season so I haven't rushed it. I'm embarrassed to admit I even have that attitude
Run
  • 34m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 11m 02s  min/mile
Comments:

I am very familiar with this course, which was run backwards from last years race. Kelly convinced me to ride it on my bike last week to see how different it was in the opposite direction. The first mile is a roller coaster ride of small hills that on a bike you can coast down and almost up to the top of the next. I really cannot run uphill, thanks to an everlasting hamstring injury, and I somehow convinced myself that I would run quickly down the hills and coast up the next. It didn't work out. I ran down and was forced to walk up as usual. I got no coast at all. After that was a flat mile, then up and down one long hill, so I finished stronger than I started, but still not happy.

Not much I can do.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of any run training due to injury and lack of ability to run in the race for the same reason. Being Clydesdale + 58 doesn't help either.

After the race, I had fleeting thoughts of hanging up the spandex for good, but the truth is that I love doing this and that is why I'm so discouraged when I'm not capable of doing it the way I want to do it.

Event comments:

I love this race. The tri club does this once a year and they put a lot of effort into doing it right. Someone even scraped the goose poop off of the transition area before the race. You've got to appreciate that kind of attention to detail.

Last updated: 2006-04-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:14 | 528 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 9/68
Overall: 0/750?
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: Rectangle, clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:38:11 | 13 miles | 20.43 mile/hr
Age Group: 8/68
Performance: Average
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:34:20 | 03.11 miles | 11m 02s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/68
Performance: Bad
Course: Golf cart path, rolling.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 3:35 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Tri Peachtree City 2006 Sprint Triathlon

2006-08-27 4:04 PM
in reply to: #523327

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Tri Peachtree City 2006 Sprint Triathlon

Great job yesterday! Congratulations!

I had no idea that there was goose poop out there before - that would have been terrible if they left it!

2006-08-27 4:26 PM

Extreme Veteran
Atlanta, GA
Congrats on your tri finish. I hope you get over the hamstring injury soon.
2006-08-27 5:26 PM

User image

Regular
Lilburn, GA
Great finish! Keep it up!
2006-08-27 7:01 PM

User image

Master
Woodstock
Sorry i missed you yesterday but great race! hope you get that hammy worked out soon- i know its tough when you cant operate at 100%, but you had some pretty darn respectable times! Look foward to seeing you at the next one.
2006-08-27 7:20 PM

User image

Veteran
Georgia
Hey Don,

I bet you've waited all season to say, '...and drove 5 minutes to the race.' LOL!

Glad you're not going to hang up the spandex. It's great seeing you and Kelly at the races. And thanks for the pointers at the Wednesday practices although I don't think I'm going to try the tandem riding thing. lol.

I also made a mental note about the goose poop. I kept watching where I was stepping for about 30 minutes. Then I realized someone must have scooped it up.

Heal the hamstring and looking forward to seeing the new triathlete next season!

Craig

2006-08-28 5:17 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Peachtree City, GA

Great race babe.  It is so much fun doing these races with you.  I know once we get you well you are going to be going great gangbusters.  I am looking forward to training with you in the off season. 

Kelly

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tri Peachtree City 2006 Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed