Katy Rotary?
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 52m 26s
Overall Rank = 695/705
Age Group = 40-44
Age Group Rank = 34/34
Pre-race routine:

Jeanette and her husband, Mark, stayed over so they would be close to the race site in the morning. Got up...got dressed...prepared 2 bottles of Accelerade and my post-race bottle of Endurox. Ate a muffin. (Oh and I put on my USAT and HRTC tatoos!) We loaded up the car and headed to our friend's house who lives by the race site lake...parked...unloaded
...walked with our stuff to the transition area. Found our rack...we were on the same rack (very cool!) We set up then grabbed our helmets and bikes and went to get them checked and get our body markings. We racked the bikes and realized we needed our chips. We got our chips then headed out to the swim start...it was a few minute walk from transition. We visited with our friends and used the port-0-cans...we were READY!
Event warmup:

I stretched a little. I woke up with a headache that started the day before...so I stretched my neck a bit (and took some aspirin before I left the house). I stretched my shoulders, lats and pecs.
Swim
  • 14m 26s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

My plan was to stay inside...close to the buoys and hang back a bit. While waiting, there were only a few gals around me. Once we started swimming, there was too many people on my feet, beside me, in front of me...I couldn't escape! I couldn't get any rhythm...I kept having to stop and reorient because of all of the bumping. I did alot of breast stroking to attempt to let them get ahead of me so I could get some space but when I would start freestyling again...I would be up on their feet again. I don't know what to say...it was just challenging. Then when I was nearing the end, the "green caps" were passing me. They were the next wave which was men (age group?)...they were practically swimming over me. I had like 2 on one side and one on the other side...I was a swimming sandwich. I thought...geeze...can't they SEE me! Hello...I'm here! But anyway...I would have liked to done all freestyle but didn't deal well with the bumping action.
What would you do differently?:

I'm not sure...get in the front of the pack and LEAD (instead of follow) so I wouldn't have to DEAL with bumping. (That was Jeanette's husband's advice anyway...and it sounded GOOD!)
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

I did pretty well getting to my bike and getting my stuff on. I did jog to the bike and with the bike out of transition.

The problem always is...I still CAN'T get clipped in FAST. Sometimes I get lucky and sometimes not. Today was a "not". I mean I clipped in eventually, but after I was off and cycling already.
Bike
  • 46m 45s
  • 12 miles
  • 15.40 mile/hr
Comments:

The ride went okay but I was highly annoyed because my bike computer didn't work and I wasn't about to stop to try and fix it. I didn't particularly like not knowing my speed. I, of course, was passed by many many many racers. I think I passed one person early on. Later on the ride, I passed a couple of folks and then when I slowed to drink...they passed me up again. I had a close encounter with an SUV that saw me coming and chose to pull out right as I neared...then once he came into my path...he slowed down...I braked...and then we were almost side by side...finally he went on...and I was glad there were no collisions. Towards the end of the course as I was entering an intersection, the cop had his back to me and was letting a car through the intersection and almost let another through (which would have been a left turn IN FRONT OF ME)...I had to hit the brakes and pray...but made it through to the otherside. Other than those two incidents, the ride was pretty nice.

Make sure my computer is working BEFORE I set up my transition area.
Transition 2
  • 02m 42s
Comments:

I had some difficulty in this transition! When I went to rack my bike, I knocked Jeanette's bike off the rack. (SORRY JEANETTE!) So while holding my bike, I had to re-rack Jeanette's bike then rack mine. It was not an easy task!

Try not to be a KLUTZ with racking the bike! LOL
Run
  • 46m 11s
  • 3 miles
  • 15m 23s  min/mile
Comments:

I walked more of the run that I had planned or that I would have liked. I was just tired. I ran through and out of transition onto the course...then I walked...I ran/walked the rest of the course. The only part of the run that I was particularly PROUD of...was the finish...I ran as fast as I could and actually AMAZED myself! (I actually heard some guys say...wow...look at her go...which made me smile from ear to ear!) (Is this from training and gaining strength??? If so, woohoo!) I need to get up to the "MrsFish" pace!

I just need to increase my stamina and speed. MORE TRAINING! (Hey
Ana...we need to kick it up a notch!)
Post race
Warm down:

I did NOT stretch afterwards - I need to remember NEXT time!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I met my race goal of total time less than 2 hours but I did not get enough rest the week/days leading into the race.

Event comments:

I have to use this spot to CONGRATULATE MrsFish (Bonnie) for coming in SECOND PLACE in her group!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am so PROUD of her...she is so awesome (and one of my Tri Idols)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last updated: 2006-05-29 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:26 | 500 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 30/34
Overall: 0/705
Performance: Below average
Suit: Danskin Trisuit
Course: Wade in. Swim straight across the lake and walk up the ramp out of the water.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Bad
Biking
00:46:45 | 12 miles | 15.40 mile/hr
Age Group: 31/34
Performance: Average
Wind: Little
Course: Nice CR roads. I've ridden these roads alot since I live here. It was a nice ride.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 02:42
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Bad
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:46:11 | 03 miles | 15m 23s  min/mile
Age Group: 34/34
Performance: Below average
Course: Around the CR Beach Club lake on to the sidewalk and street. Then, back to the lake and across the street to the smaller lake and onto the finish!
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 6:56 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Subject: Cinco Ranch Triathlon

2006-08-27 8:30 PM
in reply to: #523482

User image

Extreme Veteran
Allen
Subject: RE: Cinco Ranch Triathlon
Terrific race, Lisa!  you should have taken an extra Gu so you could have smeared it on the window of the jack@$$ that cut in front of you!  Especially nice job in the water in the middle of the fast folks.
2006-08-27 8:37 PM

User image

New user
Hey girl - I saw you in the water - your form was nice, and could see you were going to fast for some folks in front of you. Next time - like you said - be in the front. Your fast enough to follow now! That's gotta be sweet!
2006-08-28 6:53 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Nice job on the race! Hopefully we can all meet up next time. I'm glad you didn't get into any trouble out there with the cars, I had one come pretty close to clipping my shoulder.
2006-08-28 8:14 AM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Good job hanging in there and keeping your focus. Keep working on those little things and soon it will be second nature.

See you in the future.
2006-08-28 9:11 AM

User image

Queen BTich

Great job and congrats for not getting hit by a car! Wow, too close for comfort-especially in a race!

My bike computer didn't work yesterday either, that is so annoying!

2006-08-29 6:22 PM

New user

Thanks for the comment!

As for the transitions, I ditched my bike gloves, left my shoes clipped in, and practiced before the event...although the location of my assigned rack played a part as well.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cinco Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed