United States
HFP Racing
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 13m 49s
Overall Rank = 20/171
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/12
Pre-race routine:

I was a bit off for this race, we camped as usual but had a friend camp next to us so that the adult beverages were consumed more than I would have liked. But it's not all about racing....
Woke up early and had cereal but passed on my normal coffee, just didn't feel like Waiting for it to brewr. Made up a bottle of infinit instead and sipped on this until the start of the race.
Event warmup:

For warm-up I ran maybe a half mile then had a few strides to warm up the hamstrings.
Swim
  • 14m 48s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 58s / 100 meters
Comments:

I was a bit off to start the swim, for some reason I thought the swim start time was 8am so I was kind of pitting around when I heard the call for the elites and my group was right after the elites. I zipped my wetsuit and managed a short 100yard warm up before heading to the starting line.
So with minimal warm-up the gun goes off and I take off, 1st few 100 yards were rough as I tried to find my rhythm, but once I settled in there was never really any struggles. My site line was pretty good on the way out, but surprisingly I never had other swimmers around me. It seems there were 3 types of swimmers, the super fast up front the slow in the way back and then me in the middle.
Nothing really exciting happened during the swim, the time is a3 minute improvement from previous year though.
What would you do differently?:

Get a better warm up in so that I was ready for the effort to come. May have cost me a bit of time.
Transition 1
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

I think I curled up for a nap somewhere in the middle of this, just seemed to take for ever to get in and out. Probably cost me a position in the AG ranks.
Bike
  • 34m 25s
  • 23 kms
  • 40.10 km/hr
Comments:

I actually managed to get a running mount and took off quick, which was a good thing after the pokey transition. From early on I had committed to a hard effort but coming out of the park I found myself in the 170's for heart rate and even though I was having fun passing everyone I knew I couldn't maintain the effort, this was especially the case when I hit the long stretch with the head wind. Pulled the effort down to only hard, instead of ridiculously hard. Continued to pass a lot of people which was a bit surprising but realized the majority of them were du athletes that had started a bit earlier that the sprint tri. Once I made the turn onto the long back stretch I really started to push, the wind was at my back and I was able to pick up a few extra mph.
I was passed by a few riders at this point but if you can pass me at 27mph then have at it. As with the swim nothing exciting on the bike, but I did manage to pull off the fastest Bike split in the AG for the 2nd race in a row, and managed a top 11 split over all.
Lap speed (5 miles each)
1: 13:35 @ 22.08mph AHR 167
2: 12:10 @ 24.63mph AHR 163
3: 8:40 @ 21.45mph AHR 159 (only 3.1 miles)

Not much,
Transition 2
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Felt pretty quick on this one, even came in with my feet on top of my shoes and almost jumped off running. Quickly switched shoes and was off on the run.
Run
  • 21m 55s
  • 5 kms
  • 04m 23s  min/km
Comments:

Well it's a sprint so it's going to hurt, a lot! And it did hurt, A LOT! Coming out of transition there was a runner in front of me and I didn't like his path so I pushed in front of him. Bad part was this put me around a 6:20 pace and it felt like 5:20. So I pulled back a it and let him go out in front of me by about 20 ft. I found a good stride and just tried to hold the gas down, a few times I felt my pace starting to slip and was able to pick up again. Around mile 1.25 was when another runner passed me and I realized he was in my AG. I didn't want to let him go as I felt it may be a spot for podium. I somehow managed to find another gear and was able to stay with him. Even managed to pass the runner who I had traded positions with earlier, never to see him again! Hit the turn around still feeling strong, but, Coming back from the turn around there was a small hill, probably more of a bump but it hit my legs hard and I lost my pace quickly. The other runner put some distance on me by about 200 yards and I really struggled to maintain from there. Around the 1mile to go mark I started to pick up the pace again and was going to give everything I had to catch the guy. I figured if I was losing a position it want gong to be without a fight! At the 1/2 mile mark I had pulled within about 20ft of him and was looking for more, but my legs were toast and I couldn't get any closer. I wound up finishing about 6s behind him.
Mile splits
Mile 1: 7:08 AHR 165
Mile 2: 7:13 AHR 169
Mile 3: 6:55 AHR 174

Nothing, I may have been able to suffer a bit more, but I have not ran many 5ks recently and wasn't sure where to pace. But looking at the times and the HR graph there wasn't much more to give the HR rose the entire time and the last mile was the fastest mile so there wasn't much more to give.
Post race
Warm down:

Air, lots and lots of sucking air!

Event comments:

Managed to knock 6m off from the previous year but still did not reach the podium, which is a little disappointing but I can't control when the faster guys show up and there is no way I am going under 1:10 to get a spot....well not until next year! It's all in the swim.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-04-22 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:48 | 750 meters | 01m 58s / 100meters
Age Group: 9/12
Overall: 42/171
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Just a large rectangle
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:45
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:25 | 23 kms | 40.10 km/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 11/171
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course:
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:55
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:21:55 | 05 kms | 04m 23s  min/km
Age Group: 17/12
Overall: 6/171
Performance: Good
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2015-06-21 9:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sidney, Ohio
Subject: Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon

Started by mambos
Views: 1407 Posts: 6

2014-06-19 9:27 AM Bigrthanur

Maumee Bay Sprint Triathlon

Started by mambos
Views: 1890 Posts: 8

2013-06-19 5:29 AM KWDreamun

Maumee Bay Triathlon - Sprint Distance

Started by ezfast88
Views: 1554 Posts: 2

2008-06-25 3:58 PM cathrone

Started by EABonney
Views: 1841 Posts: 2

2008-06-23 2:37 PM David tri's

Started by Miker1818
Views: 1303 Posts: 1

2008-06-22 9:23 PM Miker1818
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 4, 2010
author : sarahhaselup
comments : 14
A 34 year old new runner gives a shot at her first triathlon in the chilly waters of the San Francisco Bay.

date : June 3, 2009
author : Amy Kuitse
comments : 0
Are these races too close together to give me any sort of recovery? Will I be spent and unhappy racing back to back weekends and then again two weeks after that?
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : April 1, 2008
author : trvw
The challenge? The accomplishment? I want to do this because it is an opportunity to live life. The event is an indoor sprint triathlon. I get to experience the challenge on a safer scale.
date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.

date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.