Cinco Ranch Triathlon
85+F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 14m 35s
Overall Rank = 202/705
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 23/57
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 1:30 a.m. and could not go back to sleep. Dang it! I hate it when that happens! Ate oatmeal at home, coffee and Clif Bar while driving the 1 hour to the site. I knew my race would suffer from lack of sleep, but nothing could be done about it. Oh well.

Ate 4 Shot Bloks later while hanging around the transition area.
Event warmup:

Not much, rode the bike about a mile from the parking lot to the transition area. Got there early enough to be the first on my rack, got set up, chipped, and ready to go.

Walked to swim start and swam several times for about 10 minutes total. Shot a gel and drank some water. Since I was in the second-to-last wave, there was going to be a 35 minute wait. That wasn't good. Oh well.
Swim
  • 11m 18s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 16s / 100 meters
Comments:

The swim was my typical slow average and nothing to brag about. Had two age groups in our wave, so there were about 130 guys in the water, but the traffic or bumping around wasn't too bad as the wave thinned out pretty quick and I was towards the middle and back.

About 2/3rds across the lake, the water was shallow and the mud and weeds had been churned up pretty good, so it was a mess going through there. Seaweed hanging on your arms and body as you swam. No biggie, just a nuisance.
What would you do differently?:

Improve general swimming and OWS skills. Sighting needs to get better.
Transition 1
  • 02m 24s
Comments:

The racks for my age group were near the very end of a long transition area. That made for a long, slow run in road-bike shoes to get to the bike mount area. Except for this "run", the actual transition went pretty quick.

I have eliminated the socks and glasses, so it's just a matter of putting on the shoes and helmet, and grabbing the bike.

Master the "Run-in-bare-feet-&-have-the-shoes-clipped-on-bike-mount" routine is about the only thing that can be done now.
Bike
  • 34m 8s
  • 12 miles
  • 21.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike ride was a blast. The SMOOTH, flat roads are pure pleasure compared to what I regularly ride on. Got into a good pace and kept it going. Was able to maintain a 23mph average in the open straights, and as usual, the corners and traffic bought the ride average down.

Being in a late swim wave meant there were lots of bike traffic, but it didn't impact the ride that much, just had to be careful and work your way through while passing. The traffic control and volunteers did a good job keeping the route safe, but you still had to watch for cars here and there.

Ate 2 Shot Bloks and drank 20oz of Gatorade Endurance from the aerobottle.

Not much. Rode my race and executed my plan.
Transition 2
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

T2 same as T1 with the long "run" in the bike shoes. Other than that, a smooth transition and good enough to be 12th fastest in my AG.

Not much other than the running barefoot dismount.
Run
  • 24m 46s
  • 3 miles
  • 08m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

Another typical run performance and nothing extraordinary. Found a pace and kept it steady. It was warm and very humid, but not too bad, so weather wasn't a factor. Drank a little at the water stations.

Picked it up a little at the final half-mile and put on an all-out sprint for the last 50 yards that knocked off 6 runners right at the finish.

Train more, get faster. Running without socks worked out just fine.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around, drank some tea and ate some pizza. Tried to find the other BTers. Strangely enough, BTers look like triathletes and pretty much blend in with the other 1000 or so sweaty triathletes hanging around after such a big race and therefore hard to find. Saw Joe & Bonnie, but that was it.

Packed my stuff and left.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of sleep, mediocre OWS skills, and lousy athletic genes from my parents. ;-)

This sport is all about bringing everything together on race day and overcoming the 1000 little things that would hinder your performance. The sleep issue and getting the pre-race "energy buzz" to peak right before the start was my challenge today.

Too bad it didn't go perfectly, but that's the sport. I did the best could with what I had to work with and I'm pleased with that.

Event comments:

Everything was well organized and with plenty to eat and drink afterwards. Could have had more fruit. All they had was hot, over-ripe bananas.

Also, a pretty lame race packet IMHO. Just a shirt and advertising inserts.

Last updated: 2006-08-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:18 | 500 meters | 02m 16s / 100meters
Age Group: 43/57
Overall: 0/705
Performance: Below average
Suit: De Soto tri shorts
Course: Point-to-point across the lake with a little bend towards the end.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:24
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:34:08 | 12 miles | 21.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/57
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: Flat, concrete roads in subdivision and surrounding neighborhoods.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:57
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:24:46 | 03 miles | 08m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 18/57
Performance: Good
Course: Winding sidewalk through subdivision neighborhood.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2006-08-27 10:40 PM

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: Cinco Ranch Triathlon

2006-08-28 6:59 AM
in reply to: #523731

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: RE: Cinco Ranch Triathlon
Hey man real nice job on the ride and run, sorry we didn't get to meet up. You are right, BT'ers look like everyone else!
2006-08-28 8:02 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

WOW, great race!!!

It was nice meeting you, I looked for you after we took out HRTC pic, but you look like all the others too......

2006-08-28 8:20 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
OK, let me just say... you are being WAY to hard on yourself! Way too critical.

You ran a solid race on VERY LITTLE SLEEP! I could only hope to have a time like that. And so what if everything didn't go as planned? You were out there, doing it. That's what matters.

About 2/3rds across the lake, the water was shallow and the mud and weeds had been churned up pretty good, so it was a mess going through there. Seaweed hanging on your arms and body as you swam. No biggie, just a nuisance.

HA! This gives me some crazy over the top mental imagine of everyone coming out of the lake with seeweed dripping off their arms... I know that wasn't reality... but the mental picture I get from reading that are funny!

lousy athletic genes from my parents.

You are one to talk! Look at me... I can't even run a mile straight! Gosh, and to think... your Mom and my Dad are sister and brother? I think you got the best half of the genes if you ask me! Whydidn't I get the running gene? Oh wait.. I got the swimming gene. But I want the running gene instead!

Could have had more fruit. All they had was hot, over-ripe bananas.

No, see... they couldn't get more fruit... because it was alll being served to 12,000 cyclists in Whichita Falls, TX. Trust me on this one. Seeing how all we had was fruit and cookies to eat... I know that we had possession of all the fruit in Texas for the weekend.

2006-08-28 11:04 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Hey NICE race!!!!   Congratulations!  Good pace on the swim and even better paces on the run and bike!
2006-08-29 6:27 PM

New user

Thanks for the reply, although you have me beat on 2 out of 3.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cinco Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed