General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Triathlon Olympic Series #1 Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Jacksonville Triathlon Olympic Series #1 - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Fernandina Beach, Florida
United States
DRC Spoerts
94F / 34C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 15m 30s
Overall Rank = 129/204
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 19/26
Pre-race routine:

Went pretty much according to the norm. Setup was easy and rack wasn't crowded to took my time prepping everything up. Was confident with the setup after I was done.
Event warmup:

Normal = Nothing as usual...
Swim
  • 54m 26s
  • 1500 meters
  • 03m 38s / 100 meters
Comments:

The course was not well marked with the bouyes. They were spaced too far apart I thought and with the sun still low in the sky it made it difficult to sight them. Also, there were so many people in transition after the race, and I'd have to totally agree, that were pretty pissed off that the course was long. It was long by at least 400 meters for the Oly route. I can't justify being 20 minutes longer in this swim than my previous worst swim.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing really other than actually swim training in the first place. It's just something that's pretty far down on the list of things I need to do or want to do.
Transition 1
  • 02m 8s
Comments:

T1 was pretty good considering I was so tired from the long swim. My race belt got caught on my handlebars and it took a second to get it free so I could put it on.

Make sure the race number belt is free enough to let go and get off the handlebars. I also need to make a decision as to what goes on and in what order (sunnies, race no. belt, helmet, watch, etc.)
Bike
  • 1h 11m 53s
  • 24.7 miles
  • 20.62 mile/hr
Comments:

I had an uneventful ride (thank God!) this time around. No flying over the handlebars and spending 5 minutes on the side of the road fixing bike and patching bloody body parts up. I felt pretty strong throughout and my lower back hung in as well as I could expect given the sparse bike training I've done.
Considering how my run turned out though, I spent too much energy on the ride and my legs were trashed for the run leg. I should have aimed for ~18mph avg to save something in the tank.

Control pace especially on the first half of the ride to better manage energy reserves for the last leg of the race.
Transition 2
  • 01m 31s
Comments:

My quads were very fatigued when I hopped off the bike. Running the bike back to the rack was really uncomfortable and putting on my socks AND shoes kept setting me up for quad cramps. I'm pretty familiar with this happening in T2 but I know that it was specifically for biking too hard for my current fitness.
Right foot sock have me a little trouble as it bunched up by the toes for the inner lining.

Nothing, did as best as I could with the T2 portion.
Run
  • 1h 09m 9s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 11m 09s  min/mile
Comments:

Very poor run for me. Legs were too fatigued after the bike to leg out the run without having to take walk breaks. The heat and beating sun would have taken it's toll regardless as well and there was not reprieve from the sun for the whole course. I've run on courses where the street is shared with auto traffic and that was the case for this race. Still, a silver Mercedes coupe came down the street in the lane reserved for the runners with her driver & passenger cars swinging open. The driver side door actually came within 1-2 inches from me as she turned onto a side street. "Assholes!"

On race day: nothing much. The bad run was a function of the effort put in on the bike and it's as simple as that. It was a tough pill to swallow having to stop and walk and not having a run I could be proud of. It's something that I'll have to learn to accept later but right now it's embarrassing to be so far off my historical pace capabilities.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank everything within grasp and made sure to get some calories and fluids back in my system.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was just a simple lack of consistent training and lack of significant workouts. My swim could have been better despite the long course if I was just more fit and the run would not have been as bad if I had the strength to continue after my good bike pace.

Event comments:

I was not alone in my thoughts that the swim course was poorly marked, described and distance not accurate as well. Also, the run course did not have enough marshals for the fact that Florida is not bike or runner friendly for the auto traffic on the roads. These drivers get pissed off and literally attack defenseless bikers and runners with their cars. While the location of the event and the super flat bike course make this a true destination event, the race director and staff could invest more towards the safety and accuracy of the courses that they provide for their paying customers. It's the last time I'll do this race as I don't need a 3rd strike to happen and possibly end my life (see 2013 race report). I tried to spread good will during the race, in Transition as well as after the race so that people would not be adversely scarred to triathlon by the poorly conducted race. There was a lot of positive things to take away from this race and the bad performance I put in was my own doing, but it'll definitely be the last one I do there.

Last updated: 2015-05-16 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:54:26 | 1500 meters | 03m 38s / 100meters
Age Group: 26/26
Overall: 170/204
Performance: Bad
Suit: None
Course: Single loop/triangle counter-clockwise
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 87F / 31C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Bad Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 02:08
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:53 | 24.7 miles | 20.62 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/26
Overall: 62/204
Performance: Good
Consistant pace, and waited for the wind-friendly sections to push the pace. Avg HR: 144bpm (Hi: 172, Lo: 133). Last ~20 minutes were at avg 151bpm.
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back on open road. Pretty flat course. Most of the course had a wide bike lane. Unfortunately, one guy was struck by a car on the course when the driver pulled out of a park parking lot and right in front of the oncoming cyclist.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering:
Gear changes: Average Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:31
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Below average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:09:09 | 06.2 miles | 11m 09s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/26
Overall: 136/204
Performance: Bad
About 5-6 walk breaks. Avg HR: 155 (Hi: 164, Lo: 147)
Course: Confusing and completely exposed course through neighborhood streets. Course was not closed to traffic except for one lane.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 2
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2015-06-22 12:42 PM

User image

Veteran
Winter Park, Florida
Subject: Jacksonville Triathlon Olympic Series #1
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Jacksonville Triathlon Olympic Series #1 Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #3

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1058 Posts: 1

2013-08-04 7:57 AM rjrankin83

Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #2

Started by ropkins
Views: 1176 Posts: 1

2013-07-21 8:22 PM ropkins

Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #2

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1135 Posts: 2

2013-07-21 8:24 PM ropkins

Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1

Started by eddievolly
Views: 1079 Posts: 1

2013-06-25 11:07 PM eddievolly

Jacksonville Olympic Triathlon Series #1

Started by rjrankin83
Views: 1111 Posts: 1

2013-06-24 3:58 PM rjrankin83
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 29, 2011
author : vagus
comments : 3
A retrospective of how I lost 140 pounds and started a love affair with triathlon.

date : August 2, 2010
author : HerveB
comments : 8
I looked at the swim buoys and start thinking, "Man! How am I ever going to swim that? That looks like a very long distance from the bridge. I have never done it in one go." There's no turning back.
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : September 12, 2007
author : johnrunner
comments : 6
Race report on the Chattanooga Waterfront Tri - Beginners Point of View. This was my first Olympic length triathlon and also the first time I had done a race with cycling shoes instead of cages.
date : July 30, 2006
author : drunkpeter
I signed up for a Sprint in July, an Olympic distance in September, and the Alcatraz tri in October. If I'm going to do it, I'm going to do it all the way.

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
A couch to olympic triathlon training program. These programs will take you from a walk/run program, to a sprint, then to an olympic.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 2
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week olympic triathlon training plans.