United States
Cinco Ranch Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 30m 40s
Overall Rank = 577/705
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 13/13
Pre-race routine:

Up a little before 5, ate a bowl of cereal and woke up Kylie. My first race so I wouldn't call it a "routine." My plan was to be out the door by 5:15, we ran about 15 min late but not a big deal. When we got to the race site it was HOT and HUMID! Luckily when then sun came out it burned off the humidity and turned into a really nice day.
Event warmup:

Warmup??? Well I guess the 20 min walk from the parking lot to the race site could be considered my warm up!
Swim
  • 13m 57s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 47s / 100 meters
Comments:

First OWS! It was ugly! I knew I could do the distance and I really can't be that bummed because I beat my goal time by over a min. From the start I got WAY off course. I looked up and the whole pack was way off to my right and I was about to swim into a wall! So I pointed in the right direction and went after them. I somehow still got off course again! When I got tired I was breathing every stroke to my left so I was naturally going left. I never thought about it because in the pool I never have that problem. Towards the end the weeds and junk was everywhere and I just decided not to worry about it because there was nothing I could do about it. Kylie told me I beat 3 people in my wave out of the water, but they were not in my age group! She also told me that I cut off the lead girl from the wave behind me and she had to stop and wait for me to get out of the way. If that was you, I AM REALLY SORRY! Thank you for not punching me in the kidney!
What would you do differently?:

Practice OWS and spend more time in the water period. 2 months ago I could not swim 25 meters so I really can't be bummed about it. It was fun!
Transition 1
  • 02m 18s
Comments:

T1 was good. It was a little slow, had a little bit of a hard time getting my socks on but no biggie. I had a great spot in transition. Plus, by the time I got out of the water, mine was the only bike left on the rack! Plenty of room to roam!

Practice riding without socks!
Bike
  • 40m 3s
  • 12 miles
  • 17.98 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was good. The flat course was nice and I actually passed some people in between getting passed a lot! I am actually really surprised with my speed because I did not feel like I was going that fast. I thought I would have a 16-17 avg. I almost got clipped by one of the EMS trucks but he didn't hit me so we are all good. I thanked all of the volunteers and had fun. Drinking was bad. I had an apple clif shot drink mix on the bike that I hadn't trained with and it was discusting. I took 2 sips at the beginning, then tried it again later and almost threw it up. I think I had a decent dismount but I came up on the dismount line faster than I thought. Maybe I was paying too much attention to Kylie and her parents and sister yelling for me that I forgot to look up and see that I was there!

Spend more time on the bike. The last 2 months since I decided to try a tri I have spent the majority of my time in the pool since that was my weakest link. Train with clif shot or just bring water on the bike. With some work, I think I can really up my avg.
Transition 2
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

I had a good T2. The bike next to mine was a little close but I squeezed mine in. I dismounted and left pedals on the bike so I ran in with my socks and got my running shoes on, belt and visor and I was out! I wanted a drink of water but couldn't find my water bottle that I left in transition, found it after the race.

Nada!
Run
  • 32m 57s
  • 3 miles
  • 10m 59s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was good but I am slow. I hit mile 1 at 10:30 and was surprised that I was running that quick and felt as good as I did. Same thing for mile 2. I wanted to pick it up at the end of mile 3 but I could not see the finish until it was too late and I didn't want to pick it up too early and burn out. Overall though the run felt great and I only walked the water stations for a few feet. Another goal accomplished.

Train more, again I haven't spent much time running and I know that I could be faster with more training. I am going to train for the Houston 1/2 mary and I hope that will help my run time out!
Post race
Warm down:

Drank some water and went to find the jockstrapping crew. They were great encouragement. Looked around for other BT'ers, Specifically Joe because he is the only one I have met, but didn't see anyone. Drove home, showered, relaxed for an hour, then headed to church for the rest of the day helping with a going away banquet for one of our youth ministers.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

This was my first tri so I can't complain. I would have liked to have been faster and I would have liked to not have been last in my AG but I had a fun race and I beat my goals. At the end I felt like I should have gone harder and I didn't feel all that warn out but that is something to learn for next time. It was a positive experience and I wouldn't change a thing. Texas Man here I come!

Event comments:

My only compaint about the race itself was the walk from the parking to the site. But I guess there isn't much you can do. I also think the race packet could have been better. The finishers glass at the end was a nice touch though!

Last updated: 2006-07-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:13:57 | 500 meters | 02m 47s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/13
Overall: 0/705
Performance:
Suit: TYR Tri Shorts
Course: Point to point with a dog-leg to the left at the end.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Below average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:18
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:40:03 | 12 miles | 17.98 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: None
Course: FLAT, nice couse through Cinco.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:24
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:32:57 | 03 miles | 10m 59s  min/mile
Performance: Good
Course: Nice flat, through the park, shaded.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 7:43 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Subject: Cinco Ranch Triathlon

2006-08-28 8:08 AM
in reply to: #523880

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Cinco Ranch Triathlon
Good job meeting your goals and running your race. Now you have something to work with and improve upon. It's the little things that add up.

See you in a future race.
2006-08-28 8:07 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Nice job TRIATHLETE!!!!!!

I looked for you but no such luck, just too many wet stinky bodies out there!!!

Great job on your race.

2006-08-28 10:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
WOW...you have alot to be proud of...congratulations on a wonderful FIRST race!    For a first timer...you did incredibly well!    I can't wait to see how well you do in your next race.
2007-10-01 9:36 PM

Veteran
Texas

Check it out - this was from the photos my dad took - speedy bikers coming around the corner. Hope to see you and Kylie at another race soon!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cinco Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed