32C / 90F
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 24s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 45
Age Group Rank = 1/1
Pre-race routine:

loaned a bike.
Tried my swimsuit combo and googles in the pool since it was different than my usuall. I wore sports bra to stay in it and bikini bottom for easy removal. Discovered I need to tighten it more. My usual optical googles grew old and foggy so I tried my old googles. It was good that I tried it since they were leaking so I tried another one. Both were foggy. Couldn't find anti-fog solution. Purcased only to discover night before the race it was wrong type.
Discovered that my helmet is not good, my head was warming too much on rollerblading class morning before (and coach also confirmed that and he was wearing different helmet) so I treated myself with a new helmet.
Since I didn't know the run course and didn't run lately, I decided against BF and wore my usual skethers. Trimmed my toenails ;).
Packed my bag night before, studied race timecourse only to discover it was changed, and timetable of public transportation,
Woke up at 6.30, half of Rhodiola, enjoyed my ride to the lake, 1 banana. It was 20mins shorter than predicted, only 1h.
Cousin took complete care of bike and brought it. Thanks!
Short ride to transition area. Setup of transition area. Decided to put another swim bottom over bikini botom since I felt too exposed. Pre-race briefing that I couldn't understand after myriad repetitions since I am space challenged. So instead of that watching transitions of previous wawes and made sure I understand it all.
Another banana and drinking the whole time.
Went to nearby facilities that belong to my rowing club (plan to rejoin next spring) so it was crowd free.
Event warmup:

Short warmup on land. Time confused so skipped water warmup. Luckily my race was waiting for me!
Swim
  • 00m
  • 375 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

I positioned myself right behind the others. Water was really pleasant. Was breathless right from the start. Stayed with the lady in front of me longer than I expected and than switched to breatstroke. She swum off course to the left so I yelled "right! right!" (she corrected the course so I guess she did hear me). Incredibly winded all the time and gasping for air in all 3 strokes! I knew I can't swim the distance freestyle non stop but was surprised how bad it was. Water was dark and murky so I didn't notice whether my googles were fogged or not, luckily that I checked all the googles before and took ones that didn't leak. Photographer was waiting for me at the stairs so that gave me the strength to finish, sort of.
What would you do differently?:

This was my first "race" that I did only for experience of it.
Obviously in the ideal world I would make sure that I can freestyle the whole distance at once.
I would have functioning googles and not train for months in foggy ones; and I would know where my antifog solution is (but luckily it proved a non.issue since the distance was short).

Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Started from the head: googles off, glasses, helmet, sunglasses on. Sipped that bit of water I had. The plan worked: took off upper bottom and pulled on shorts with briefs in it, and than untied bikini bottom and pulled it off from behind. Skeetchers were easy to pull over.
But than judge didn't let me tuck the number to the back of my shorts as I planned, she insisted that I have elastic band around myself and that is phisically impossible for me. I tried around neck and one arm and that was impossible, too. I decided to quit the race than and throw the number on the towel beneath. But I remembered my bikini bottom that has very long strings and used those to tie the damn thing around and off I went! Didn't put on the gloves, simply held them in my hands.

1. Definitly bring my own band and needlepins to pin the number to it!
2. Tape the gloves to the handlebars, really no need to have them on
3. The most important, to have bottle holder on the bike
4. have other 2 bottles of water for transitions
5. maybe have my clip-on sunglasses clipped to my glasses instead of having 2 glasses on my nose, but I didn't mind it,
Bike
  • 00m
  • 12.7 kms
  • 0.00 km/hr
Comments:

I relied entirely on event organiser for water supply - that was wrong due to short distance. So I had no other option than to go to nearby coffee shops. And not so nearby, I even wandered to run leg of the race LOL! That was too funny. Maybe not that funny for the racers, one of them yelled. Sorry.
I had 4 dl on first stop and don't remember the other stops. I took several stops. It was hot and I was really thirsty.
The ride itself was gorgeous and I really enjoyed it. The bike suited really well and comfortable, and dear cousin adjusted it perfectly and pumped the tires and all, bless him! I tried to keep the cadence high. Unfortunatly i didn't know how to switch gears and accidentaly switched some but I didn't felt the need for it. The new helmet was great and my head wasn't burning inside like the old one. The breeze helped. Scenery was great, it was where I used to row, and had the honour to learn from the legendary rower and coach Jumbo (RIP). It was 12 years ago (sigh).

1. have my own water on the bike
2. have my own bike fro the race or at least my bike saddle (that is anatomic)
3. obviously, have some recent saddle time
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

This was easy, just helmet off, cap on. I untied the swimsuit and tucked the number in front under my top. Running with swimsuit strapped around myself would be even more ridiculous than I alreadyy felt. Also took my empty water bottle. The judge didn't let me go outside transition zone to fill it in.

Have my water for the run.
Have my soles prepared and run BF since the run segment was BF friendly.
Run
  • 00m
  • 2.5 kms
  •  min/km
Comments:

I again went to cofee shops along the way to drink. At least I had the bottle to sip from.
BTW this was my first brick ever and I understood the meaning of it fully and completely LOL! I didn't find my legs for entire length. I managed to jog a bit but for the most part I walked. And in fact I could barely walk. I expected my legs to come back but they didn't. I also found peace in solitude of the race and accepted it. I discovered this is my thing.
Towards the end my face started to burn, luckily I had water bottle to cool it a bit, although I used my hair to protect my face and neck. I need better hat for this.
I was so glad to see that my coach and another coach were there for me on the finish line. (My SO had a stomach flue and was unable to come.) They must have been waiting for ages for me to come! Thank you so much!!

1. have slimmer legs or longer shorts to prevent my thigs rubbing each other
2. better hat for sun protection
3. have my soles prepared for BF running since the trail is BF friendly
4. be able to run the distance
5. obviously, brick workouts :)

Post race
Warm down:

Took a long luke warm shower and rubbed my muscles a bit. Ate my 3rd banana, that was cooked in transition area, 1 omega capsule, and 2 squares of dark chockolate. Was I hungry, but didn't want to risk with wheat pasta that was served (I avoid wheat) and the sauce was gone (e.g. mixed with the pasta).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

1. Going off course many times to nearby cofee shops to drink instead of having my own water bottels prepared on the bike and in transitions
2. Amount of training, obviously
3. Discussion with judge in T1 about elastic band that she insisted to have around my body, instead having my own band and needlepins.
4. Skipping swim warmup instead of setting the alarm to remind me

Event comments:

I wanted this for so long (since I joined BT) and I DID IT! I am over the moon!! It was thanks to my coach who was so kind to me all the way and so positive, and helped me in many ways, God bless him! Without him this would be another day of staying at home and it would be wishfull thinking as so many times and years before. Thankfully those days are over, I won myself and I even have a gold medal as reminder of it. I am so happy that just by finishing it I won a medal for my club. We rock!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-07-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 375 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 0/1
Overall: 0/
Performance: Bad
Suit:
Course: triangle
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 26C / 79F Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Bad Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:00:00 | 12.7 kms | 0.00 km/hr
Performance:
Wind: Some
Course: 2 laps around the lake - gorgeous!
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 02.5 kms |  min/km
Performance:
Course: One lap, asphalt trail amongst the trees, with gras and dirt path along (no gravel), almost no shade.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-06 3:53 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: 19. Zagreb Open - supersprint
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » 19. Zagreb Open - supersprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

OWS series 2014/2015 - round 4

Started by kingsley.bugarin
Views: 815 Posts: 1

2014-12-16 7:14 AM kingsley.bugarin

OWS series 2014/2015 - round 3

Views: 789 Posts: 1

2014-12-01 10:48 PM kingsley.bugarin

OWS series 2014/2015 - round 2

Views: 937 Posts: 2

2014-11-30 4:03 PM laffinrock

OWS series 2014/2015 - round 1

Views: 828 Posts: 1

2014-11-02 3:46 AM kingsley.bugarin

10. Zagreb Open

Started by andrej
Views: 615 Posts: 1

2006-07-18 6:30 AM andrej
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : December 17, 2007
author : LukeTX04
I learned in this race that in order to finish the swim, you have to know where you are going. And in order to know where you are going, you have to learn to sight.
date : September 25, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
Discussion on sinking hips, balance drills, open water freak-out, best breathing for open water swimming and head position.

date : August 7, 2007
author : Tri Swim Coach
You can practice several things like bi-lateral breathing, sight less and use long strokes to help you swim straight
date : September 3, 2006
author : TriDDS
comments : 1
Stroke after stroke, my pace was pulling me out into the middle of the lake quickly. The cover seemed to be getting thicker. But still in the distance, the little boathouse was my lighthouse.

date : June 6, 2006
author : marmadaddy
The DVD assumes little-to-no experience with competitive swimming and starts off in the pool citing the need to build confidence in a controlled environment.