General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Kingston - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

HITS Triathlon Series: Kingston - Olympic Course - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Kingston, New York
United States
HITS Triathlon Series
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 25m 22s
Overall Rank = 13/78
Age Group = M30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/7
Pre-race routine:

Not the smoothest pre-race routine. Packed up everything but the wetsuits the night before (or so I thought). Ate my pancake breakfast in the car on the way down to the race. About 20 minutes from home I realized I forgot my ID. We went back for it, knowing we would now miss the listed packet pick-up time and have to rush to get transitions (there were 2 separate ones) set up. Silver lining was we would have about 40 minutes after transition closed before our race started.
Event warmup:

Given my chest injury had not fully healed I did not risk any strokes in the water. Just got in and floated a bit to get used to the temperature.
Swim
  • 26m 34s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 46s / 100 meters
Comments:

I really wasn't sure what to expect with this swim. My chest injury still wasn't 100% and when I tried it out in the pool 3 days ago things did not go well. I popped an Aleve with breakfast and hoped for the best.

Things went surprising well once the start gun went off. I definitely had some pain and discomfort, but it wasn't debilitating. After a few hundred yards of fighting off contact and finding some space, I checked my sighting landmarks and stayed on course. I tried to find some feet to draft but after the first turn I was pretty much on my own. The murky water made finding drafting opportunities tough. I was able to settle into a nice rhythm with my stroke and mostly stayed on course. I never really pushed a very hard pace as my focus was mainly on maintaining form and keeping my injury manageable.
What would you do differently?:

Given the circumstances, nothing
Transition 1
  • 01m 29s
Comments:

Good T1, didn't have much trouble with the wetsuit for a change (thank you silicone spray!). Got my cycling gear on and got out pretty quickly.

Not much
Bike
  • 1h 15m 33s
  • 24.8 miles
  • 19.70 mile/hr
Comments:

This bike course was probably the worst I've ever seen in a race. Kingston is not exactly a cycling haven, but these roads were horrible. All that aside, I was pretty happy with my ride here. Tried to keep my power from spiking on the hills and kept a solid pace on the flats. Here my chest injury was sort of an advantage as the most comfortable position for me was actually staying in aero.

Avoided a flat and set up myself up for a chance at sub 2:30:00 so I can't ask for much more.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Very unhappy about this transition. We weren't allowed to set up our own area. We just handed off bags and they set it up for us. We couldn't even see WHERE our spot was before the race. When I came in no one was helping me find my spot and all of my stuff was still in the bag so I couldn't even look for my bright colored shoes. Very disappointing. Once I found my stuff I got out of there quickly.

Force them to let me see the location of my spot pre-race? I don't know, this was a mess. Ultimately it probably only cost me 15-20 seconds so more frustrating than anything.
Run
  • 40m 32s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 03s  min/km
Comments:

After getting my HR monitor on and settling in, I checked my watch and figured out I needed to go under 45:00 to break 2:30:00. It would be tough but I thought I was capable of it. Used my HR to keep myself from blowing up early as I felt really good but found myself running too fast to start. Kept the pressure on as my legs started fatiguing and the sun was beating down. Each mile I let my HR climb a couple of beats while keeping a close eye on not getting too high. Very happy with this run.

I'm not 40 minute 10K fast at the moment, but even with a properly measured course I was on pace to break 2:30:00.

I always struggle to reign myself in early but did an okay job of it here.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around in the shade and chatted a bit while waiting for Steve and Leigh to come in. Stretched a little during the awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Maybe I could've swam faster without nursing a chest injury, and more training always helps!

Event comments:

They clearly were lacking volunteers, as T2 was a mess and there were confusing parts of the bike course that were unmanned. Not what I've come to expect from HITS and hopefully they fix these issues along with the condition of the bike course for next year.

As for my part, I am EXTREMELY happy and honestly a little surprised with how well I performed here. My training has not been ideal and I've been really down on myself and my expectations for racing. After this race I really have no grounds to complain about my abilities anymore. Its also given me some much needed motivation to get serious about training for Lake George and see what I can do at the HIM distance later this summer.

Last updated: 2015-07-12 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:34 | 1500 meters | 01m 46s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/7
Overall: 17/78
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: Two loops of out and back around a single line of buoys. Current in the Hudson River was cross, which forced many people off their line
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 01:29
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:15:33 | 24.8 miles | 19.70 mile/hr
Overall: 16/78
Wind: Little
Course: VERY rough roads with tons of debris, I was waiting for a flat the entire time. Navigating through the on and off ramps was harrowing. More hills than expected, but other than the short steep one out of transition they were fairly easy. Plenty of flats in the middle of the course.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Below average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:40:32 | 10 kms | 04m 03s  min/km
Overall: 8/78
Course: Two loop out and back. I don't know how you can mess it up with out and backs, but there is no way this course was 10K. My own watch and several others had the course at about 5.8 miles. Very flat along the river, mostly in the sun
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-07-12 11:56 AM

User image

Expert
Niskayuna, New York
Subject: HITS Triathlon Series: Kingston - Olympic Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » HITS Triathlon Series: Kingston - Olympic Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

HITS Triathlon Series: Ocala - Olympic Course

Started by TrkHilo2k
Views: 1236 Posts: 2

2012-03-27 4:40 AM flalamb

Started by flalamb
Views: 1386 Posts: 3

2012-03-26 9:05 PM TrkHilo2k

Started by buck1400
Views: 1340 Posts: 3

2012-03-26 7:46 PM TrkHilo2k

HITS Triathlon Series: Corpus Christi - Olympic Course

Started by scm724
Views: 1373 Posts: 2

2012-02-21 4:30 PM djastroman

HITS Triathlon Series: Palm Springs - Olympic Course

Started by edshortsleeve
Views: 2305 Posts: 3

2012-01-14 2:52 PM southwestmba
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 2, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT talks one-on-one with HITS race director, Mark Wilson

date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : February 28, 2005
author : sherrick
A 26 week, 6 race series plan for faster performance. A SILVER/GOLD member plan.