Sunny
Total Time = 32m 11s
Overall Rank = 258/578
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 11/26
Pre-race routine:

Had a fruit smoothie.
Event warmup:

Just a short jog to the car with Jeff to drop off our stuff, then some stretching.
Run
  • 32m 11s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 21s  min/mile
Comments:

First 5K in SEVEN years. Still disappointed in the time - I've been running much better than this. I did not walk until nearly the 2 mile mark, but the third mile was really rough and I walked quite a bit. The heat index was extreme, there was little shade and no breeze at all. I don't feel like I was very dehydrated, but I was also not hydrated enough. By the end of the race, the heat was pretty difficult to deal with.

I'm also trying to manage an injury to my left heel (turned it running barefoot outside a few weeks ago) which has been bothering me the past few days. It did not bother me too much during the race or after, but it was hurting a bit before and it remained on my mind. I don't know how much it affected my physical performance, but I was definitely concerned about it.
What would you do differently?:

I think I might have gone out faster, though there was a pretty large crowd. I convinced Jeff to start further up than we were supposed to (they asked us to sort ourselves by time and the last group was :25/walkers, which was a little too broad in my opinion) and that worked out well. I also think that Jeff and I would have been better off running together, since we practically finished together anyway. We may have stayed in it mentally if we'd been next to one another. Instead, we both ran pretty poor times, although he gets a break since this was his first race ever.
Post race
Warm down:

Just walked around for five minutes or so before heading home. Also cooled off in the fire hydrant they had spraying near the finish line.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

HEAT. Today was a day of excessive heat warnings and air quality alerts. It was hot yesterday, so even at 9 am it was in the mid-80s and felt warmer (right now it is 92/feels like 103). In areas, like the last mile, where there was little shade and the sun was beating down on the asphalt, it was really hard to keep myself in it.

Event comments:

This was a really nice race - well-organized and run very smoothly. I can't say much about post-race activities - we didn't hang around - but everything else went well. I'd definitely do it again, hoping for a more pleasant day!

Last updated: 2015-06-22 12:00 AM
Running
00:32:11 | 03.11 miles | 10m 21s  min/mile
Age Group: 11/26
Overall: 258/578
Performance: Below average
1 mile - 9:50 2 mile - 20:48 (or 19:48 - I can't quite remember) Jeff ran 32:04 - we were together at the end, but he was able to speed up near the finish earlier than I was.
Course: Fairly easy - some up and down, but no real hills. Out and back down some very pretty roads.
Keeping cool Bad Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-07-19 5:11 PM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Eden Autism 5K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Eden Autism 5K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cure Autism Now - 5K

Started by noony
Views: 1094 Posts: 2

2007-07-09 8:41 AM jimbo

Cure Autism Now - 5K

Started by jimbo
Views: 954 Posts: 1

2007-07-06 4:04 PM jimbo

Cure Autism Now - 5K

Started by rollinsw
Views: 1190 Posts: 1

2006-07-05 8:42 AM rollinsw

Cure Autism Now - 5K

Started by BodyCheck
Views: 3019 Posts: 13

2006-07-09 7:02 AM drdi

Eden Family 5k

Started by wmmathguy
Views: 438 Posts: 1

2004-02-16 12:00 AM wmmathguy
RELATED ARTICLES
date : May 17, 2010
author : mjfewell
comments : 3
In November of 2000, I noticed that I was losing the feeling in my toes. The sensation traveled up my body and within a week, I was nearly 80% paralyzed.

date : October 30, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 0
First, with your upcoming 5K, I strongly advise you to check out the “Couch to 5K” training schedule. This training schedule is a GREAT way to get back into running safely and wisely.
date : October 24, 2004
author : tri-en
comments : 0
If you are like many runners you may be frustrated at racing 5K distances and never being able to run them faster. Improve your race pace with this flexible 12 week program.

date : September 26, 2004
author : jhealy422
comments : 2
For as long as I can remember, I’ve had weight issues. I remember standing on the scale as a child weighing 60 pounds and feeling fat. My family dealt with stress by eating.
date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
comments : 6
Couch to 5k programs for those starting from square one.

comments : 12
This aggressive couch to 5k program will get you running from nothing and will be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.
This couch to 5k program will get your running in seven months and can be the lead-up to any of the sprint programs.

Overview of two walk/run routines for training for a 5K.