General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Evergreen sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-07-21 5:22 PM

User image

Denver, CO
Subject: Evergreen sprint

Anybody done or doing the Evergreen Sprint and/or know what the water temp is like?  I can't find the current temp anywhere online and everybody who hears me say I'm doing it says, "Oooh, cold."  I've done races at Union and Aurora Reservoirs, which I think tend to be fairly cold.  How does Evergreen compare?

2015-07-22 8:00 AM
in reply to: laffinrock

New user
Subject: RE: Evergreen sprint
The water temp had been 67-68 degrees over the past 3 years. This year it looks like it will be 65-66 degrees on race day. Similar to the water temps in Denver in early June.
2015-07-22 11:59 AM
in reply to: darrin

User image

Denver, CO
2015-07-22 12:37 PM

I found the altitude more impactful than the water temps for the swim. Have a great race!
2015-07-22 12:41 PM
in reply to: nbndtrain

User image

Regular
Grand Junction, Colorado
Darrin and his company put on fantastic events!!! Thanx 4 supporting underground racing and have a blast.

Cheers
2015-07-22 4:45 PM
in reply to: The Padre

User image

Denver, CO

Thanks for the good wishes, nbndtrain and Travis.  I've done the ride a couple times and didn't find the altitude so much of a problem as the elevation gain!  Whew, those hills are tough!  Darrin, I didn't know that you're with Racing Underground.  I've done the Chilly Cheeks and I agree with Travis, you do a great job.  I'm really looking forward to the race.  It's a big stretch for me in my 2nd year of doing tris, but I'm going to finish if it takes every last ounce of my energy, darn it!!

2015-07-23 4:41 PM

User image

I just drove the bike course. Holy cow, it is going to be one heck of a challenge. I did similar elevation at Boulder Half IM last month but carried out over 56 miles, it wasn't bad. I'm now on a desperate hunt for a compact crank or a 30t FSA ring. Might swap out with my MTB crank but afraid I'll miss the big ring on the decent.

Good luck to everyone racing.
2015-07-24 9:28 AM
in reply to: driftin' by

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by driftin' by I just drove the bike course. Holy cow, it is going to be one heck of a challenge. I did similar elevation at Boulder Half IM last month but carried out over 56 miles, it wasn't bad. I'm now on a desperate hunt for a compact crank or a 30t FSA ring. Might swap out with my MTB crank but afraid I'll miss the big ring on the decent. Good luck to everyone racing.

Yeah, it took me 3 tries to make it through the whole thing and I almost opted to do it as a relay after I didn't make it the 2nd time.  I printed out the map before my 3rd ride and marked the mileage points for the turn onto Witter Gulch, the turn onto Stagecoach, and the highest point of the ride.  Knowing those points helped a lot, both physically and psychologically. 

Hope you have a good race!  I'll be wearing a black/white/yellow/turquoise 2 piece tri suit and riding a red/grey Giant road bike.  I'm in the 3rd wave to start.  Come over and introduce yourself before or after - I'm always up for meeting a fellow BTer.

2015-07-24 10:59 AM

Centennial, Colorado
I'll be there on Sunday!

I knew the course was hilly but now I'm getting worried. I have done similar elevation in Deer Creek Canyon so hopefully that will help.

See everyone on Sunday
2015-07-24 2:12 PM

I was referring to elevation affecting my swim. I felt it in the water. For the bike, yes, it's good to know where the top is!
2015-07-24 4:21 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Good idea on mapping it out especially for your sanity. I'll do my best to look for you but I'm usually in a hissy before the race and a bit dazed afterwards. If you've got it together I have an obnoxiously bright yellow road helmet the matches the obnoxious yellow tires and bar wrap on an otherwise reserved black Felt Tri bike. It works great locating my bike in the coral after swimming. My kit is rather reserved also being simply black and white.

I'm picking up a compact crankset tomorrow (Saturday) morning and installing it. Hope I don't regret this move (racing with new equipment) but I'm already feeling relived knowing I'll be able to climb easier and just having fewer teeth on the chainring shouldn't be any significant adjustment.

Edited by driftin' by 2015-07-24 4:22 PM

2015-07-24 8:04 PM
in reply to: nbndtrain

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by nbndtrain I was referring to elevation affecting my swim. I felt it in the water. For the bike, yes, it's good to know where the top is!

Good to know.  Thanks.

2015-07-24 8:12 PM
in reply to: Wrightjoseph

User image

Denver, CO

Originally posted by Wrightjoseph I'll be there on Sunday! I knew the course was hilly but now I'm getting worried. I have done similar elevation in Deer Creek Canyon so hopefully that will help. See everyone on Sunday

Don't worry, just mentally prepare yourself for a challenge.  There are downhills mixed in with the climbs so you can get a bit of recovery in and the last 5 miles is a blast.  If you can get up there tomorrow to ride the course, do.  At least that way you'll learn some of the landmarks.

No matter what, enjoy, be safe, and finish with a smile!

2015-07-25 8:16 PM
in reply to: #5130277

Centennial, Colorado
Rode the course today. It's a butt kicker. Glad I did as it will be nice to know when the downhill starts tomorrow.
2015-07-27 9:23 AM
in reply to: Wrightjoseph

User image

That whole race was a but kicker from the cold water, unforgiving bike climb and hilly run. I wasn't able to get the compact crank installed like I had planned on Saturday so I toughed it out mashing with all 39 teeth on my small ring finishing it in 54:09 which is about 15 minutes quicker than I told my wife to expect me to finish. Getting passed by people with triple or compact rings on the climb, I was really able to make it up by topping out at 46.5 MPH on the decent.

Besides being ridiculously cold, I was really surprised with how long the swim took me at 19:52 but my Garmin 920xt, which is pretty accurate in the water, recorded a distance 1039 yards. Not that I zig-zagged much but this resulted in a good pace for me of 1:55/100yd especially considering my swim cap ripped, had my goggles kicked off and oh, the freezing water especially around the turn buoy. Boy oh boy, was that water cold or what?

I was really hoping for a better run but that first big hill really took it out of me plus my feet were still frozen numb from the swim and I didn't feel confident with my foot placement on the dirt trails so I took it slow.

Transitions weren't great either: 3:04 and 2:32 respectively both times having to sit to put on my bike shoes in T1 and later for socks and run shoes in T2 because of dirty and numb feet. Problem I'm sure everyone else was experiencing.

1:52:09 total time which would have yielded a second spot among the small group of Clydesdale racers but I found my registration wasn't correct and instead finished 17 in my AG. I will also add too that I did this race without sugars or grains and only relying on burning fat as my body becomes fat adaptive. So no GU, Gatorade or other stimulants were used and it felt great. Overall another great race put on by Jill and Darrin in a beautiful setting. I can't wait to do it again next year.

Next up- My Way or The Tri Way on 8/30 in my backyard at beautiful Aurora Reservoir.
2015-07-27 1:12 PM
in reply to: #5131014

User image

Denver, CO
Good job, Josh! That was a tough race for sure and getting your goggles kicked off is no fun.

I did pretty well on the swim, despite the cold. T1 was slow because I was trying to zip up a shrug to cover my arms but my hands were too cold. Bike was 5 min. faster than the last time I did it, do I was happy with that, plus blasting down the hills was so fun! T2 was a bit slow because my hands were still numb, which slowed down tying my shoes. Run, well that first mile was tough for me too. Wasn't expecting that long uphill and it was really hard with numb feet. The last 2 miles were much better. I passed a lot of people and finished strong. Just getting to the start was a huge victory for me so finishing, and not even last in my AG (8/10) was super.

I loved this race and really want to do it again! I almost did it as a relay because I didn't think I could do the bike. I hung in there and finished with a smile. Today--day off and a long massage!!

Congrats to all the finishers. We did it!!

2015-07-27 8:57 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Highlands Ranch, Colorado

Great job on what sounds like a tough course!  See you at My Way or the Tri Way!

2015-07-30 2:23 AM

User image

Colorado
Nice job you two!

The lake was so cold, holy cow. I'm not a fast swimmer to begin with, and I just couldn't force myself to put my face in, opting instead for a (slow) breaststroke. Thirty minutes later I was finally in transition when the lead male finished his ride and headed out on his run. I was also in the last wave, which didn't help. Oh well!

I hadn't biked the course before so I figured I'd just deal with the hills as they came. It was good considering that I hadn't managed to fit that much climbing in a short ride before. It also helped that having just done a ridiculously slow swim, my only goal was to finish and enjoy the rest of it.

Like Mary, the first part of the run was hard just because my feet were still frozen from the swim. It took two miles until all toes were back to normal temperatures, though they were mostly functional for trail running purposes by the time I hit the first aid station.

I think I'm looking forward to My Way or the Tri Way, but that water better be warmer!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Evergreen sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Evergreen Triathlon

Started by rick4657
Views: 1374 Posts: 5

2012-07-14 4:21 PM rick4657

Fraser tubing and Evergreen ice skating

Started by xmann1102
Views: 5369 Posts: 12

2009-12-20 5:59 PM skarl

Evergreen Town Race Sunday 5k/10k

Started by skarl
Views: 1098 Posts: 4

2009-07-31 9:56 AM skarl

Team Evergreen Racing

Started by cooutdoors
Views: 925 Posts: 3

2008-11-12 8:09 PM skarl

Sunday Team Evergreen Ride

Started by skarl
Views: 1111 Posts: 6

2008-03-08 6:25 PM skarl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 8, 2008
author : pjwalzphd
comments : 2
When I told my husband that I planned to work toward completing a sprint triathlon, he smiled and was supportive, but a bit disbelieving.

date : February 12, 2008
author : mikericci
comments : 0
This plan is designed to make you go faster. 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work. The maximum volume is around 10 hours toward the end of the 12 weeks.
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : September 5, 2006
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you haven’t done any bricks yet, this isn’t the time to start piling them on, but here are some examples you could do in the lead up to your race.
date : September 3, 2006
author : acbadger
comments : 1
Since your “A” race is your marathon, which you stated in your question, this should be your main focus. I encourage you to taper a bit for the sprint distance triathlon.

date : July 30, 2006
author : acbadger
Since I didn't have much time and since it's a super sprint, am I OK just go to at the training relatively hard through Thursday or even Friday?
date : August 30, 2004
author : Ron
Couch-to-sprint triathlon training programs to get you over the finish-line of your first triathlon.

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.