United States
Cinco Ranch Triathlon
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 36m 25s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 40-49
Age Group Rank = 28/34
Pre-race routine:

We spent the night at Lisa's so we didn't have to travel an hour prior to getting to the race. This was great, Lisa and Randy are wonderful hosts!!
We finished our final prep for the morning, fixing bottles, loading bikes, filling the cooler. Made some coffee for myself and hubby, ate a bagel, and got out the door. Lisa has a connection that lives in the neighborhood connecting to the race site, so we got to park really close. This was great, we only had a couple minute walk to the transition site.
Event warmup:

Didn't really warmup, just got things set up in transition. Since we came in a different way than all the other participants we had to go upstream to get in line for bodymarking and bike check. Worked out ok. Lisa and I were racked next to each other which was nice so we could continue to chat and get nervous together. We learned the proper way to rack a bike and set up transition from a race official since both of us were set up wrong apparently. Anyway, easy switch around and we were good to go. We took a leisurely stroll to the swim start and hung out at the port-a-lets chatting with people we knew.
Swim
  • 12m 7s
  • 500 meters
  • 02m 25s / 100 meters
Comments:

This was a very large group and it was a very bumpy swim all the way to the end. I did a lot of breast stroke this time out. I really felt confined and never found a good rhythm during this swim. When I did find some open space, I tried to take advantage of it and free style. This worked for me for the most part.
What would you do differently?:

I took the entire week off before this race and I suffered for it. I felt out of sync. I will also try to get more open water swimming completed as well. I am a strong pool swimmer but it doesn't always translate very well.
Transition 1
  • 03m 23s
Comments:

This is the slowest T1 transition for my age group. I really don't know why I took so long but it seems I did. If I had been two minutes quicker, I would not have been beaten by the 71 year old man, I saw later on the run!

Practice transitions. I don't really do this and it shows a lot. I run with socks so I might try running without to see how it goes.
Bike
  • 42m 29s
  • 12 miles
  • 16.95 mile/hr
Comments:

I was a little concerned about the cones and being passed but I managed not to cut anyone off or run over any cones. My biggest complaint here is that there were a large number of people who passed who never called out their intentions. I checked behind me each time I came to a cone because I didn't want to get in the way of someone passing. On a number of occassions I went to the right of the cone to avoid any collisions with the people passing me. Sorry guys, it was mostly men being silent. Otherwise, I thought this was a good ride for me and I was able to keep a very consistant speed this time out. I have been riding my bike on a trainer so I felt much more comfortable about changing gears and how my bike would respond. I still experienced some numbness in my toes but I changed how I peddled for a bit and flexed my toes in my shoes and it went away. Last race, I had numb feet through transition and I didn't want to repeat that. My dismount was uneventful but always dicey, I am not very good about this.

Continue training and riding my bike more on the open road. I think I will go back to spinning class also to increase my endurance and strength. I also need to get back in for a bike fitting.
Transition 2
  • 01m 38s
Comments:

I ride in my running shoes so theres nothing to change here. This was not a bad transition. I changed from helmet to hat, turned my racing belt around so my number was in front, took one last drink from my bike bottle and headed out.

Move faster.
Run
  • 36m 46s
  • 3 miles
  • 12m 16s  min/mile
Comments:

I was out of breath at the start and seemed to remain that way throughout. I had not been able to eat on the bike so I was very low on energy. I decided to run 6 minutes and walk 1 minute. I walked through the water stations and drank at each one. I shortened the walk time and tried to just keep moving. At about mile 2 I was behind the 71 year old man. He was walking too, but soon started running again. We played leap frog for awhile until toward the end. He began running and kept going. I was behind another 43 yr old woman, both running, then she started to walk, then I passed her then walked and so on until she came up and said we should just try to finish together. We ran side by side until almost to the end until I just couldn't keep her pace. This was her first race and told her to just go on and have a strong finish. I did my best to push to the end. I was completely done at the line and started looking for some shade. I had a moment of hyperventilation when I saw my hubby and he thought I needed the EMS, so we walked that direction. He was great!! After a bottle of water and a banana and many soothing words from hubby I was all better.

Do more brick work and speed work. I have to find a nutrition plan for on the bike so I am not bonking on the run. I am often too nervous to eat before and I find eating on the bike a problem. Clif bars turn into a large mass in my mouth with one bite so I never take another one. We received Clif blocks in our finishers glass, so I will try them during training to see how that works.
Post race
Warm down:

Walking, walking, walking, soothing conversation with hubby and a shady spot. I was too hot to eat but managed a bite or two of pizza. I did manage about 1/2 a too soft banana, 1/2 bottle of water and a bottle of Endurolyte mix that Lisa had bought for us. I did manage to stretch a little following but was a bit light headed for much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of a solid nutrition plan and not enough brick workouts during this training sequence.

Event comments:

I enjoyed myself and the venue. The swim was a bit gross but overall the course was nice, with lots of shade for the run. I hope to do this race again next year.

I had the opportunity to meet Holly and Hannah, it was a pleasure. Joe, Bonnie, Holly, Lisa and myself gathered for a group photo following the HRTC group photo op. We will have to ask the announcer, next time, to make an announcement so all BT folks attending the event can find each other at a meeting place. Sorry we missed some of you!

Thanks again, to Lisa for the wonderful hospitality!

Last updated: 2006-06-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:07 | 500 meters | 02m 25s / 100meters
Age Group: 24/34
Overall: 34/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: From one end to the other of a man-made lake. It was a bit gross and weedy.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:23
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:42:29 | 12 miles | 16.95 mile/hr
Age Group: 25/34
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: Flat. The streets are in great shape for the most part and were great to ride on.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:38
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:36:46 | 03 miles | 12m 16s  min/mile
Age Group: 30/34
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2006-08-28 3:44 PM

Master
Houston
Subject: Cinco Ranch Triathlon

2006-08-28 4:53 PM
in reply to: #524708

User image

Expert
Waller County, TX
Subject: RE: Cinco Ranch Triathlon
Good job on the race. Now that have several of them done, you can really start fine-tuning what works best for you.

Yeah, I had the same idea about asking the announcer to locate BT folks. Oh well, there will always be a next time or next year.
2006-08-28 7:51 PM

User image

Regular
Katy, TX (west of Houston)

Jeanette,

You did so awesome!  It was great seeing you and chatting before and after the race.  I can't wait to see our group photo!  Next year we'll have to get a BT group photo like the HRTC group does. That was really sweet of Lisa to open her home to you again, she has a heart of gold, she did an awesome job with registration at the kid's tri the day before, too   

2006-08-28 8:25 PM

User image

Master
Katy, TX (West of Houston)
Nice job!!!!
It was nice to see you again!!!
2006-08-28 10:47 PM

User image

Veteran
Katy, TX (West of Houston)

Jeanette...congratulations on another GREAT race!!!  One day I hope to have paces as high as yours...by then...you will be tearing it up out there still leaving me in the dust!   

I have two things to mention:

1.  It's time for clips!  Your cycling pace will immediately INCREASE!  You can push AND PULL...it's power stroking baby!

2.  It's time to ditch the gatorade and start using Accelerade for training and races.  You will notice the difference in how you feel during your workouts and on your recoveries.  (And, Endurox for race recovery.)

We enjoyed having you (and your men) over as always - we had a nice dinner.  Randy enjoyed the company at the race as well.  When is our NEXT one???  This weekend?

2006-08-29 7:18 AM

User image

Expert
Houston, TX
Congrats on a great race! Good job with sticking it out on the run. Sorry we missed you! We will get together next time for sure.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cinco Ranch Triathlon Rss Feed