General Discussion Race Reports! » USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals Sprint Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals Sprint - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
United States
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 04m 1s
Overall Rank = 51/1673
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 4/67
Pre-race routine:

Up at 3:30, oatmeal, warm up run, wake the body -- get down to transition around 6, prep bike, spend time with wife, get read

I had set a goal of top 10 in AG for this race with a stretch goal of top 5 in AG. I had been racing well at some larger regional races, so I was excited to go head to head with some of the best throughout the country.
Event warmup:

Some light jogging. The water was going to be cold, so I tried to stay as bundled up as I could before.
Swim
  • 11m 20s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 31s / 100 meters
Comments:

This water was cold. It really took my breath away during warmups. It actually made me a little dizzy walking to the swim start. I positioned myself closer to the far side of the wave so I could have some smooth water to work in. Waiting for the start was tough because the pontoon was high and there was nothing to push off of. I got my feet up and planned to push off the best I could. I was able to do this for the start but took in some water in my one lense. No worries, I still have a good one, the water was clean and it was fresh water.

My first 200 was solid and I was making a beeline to the bridge ahead of the bulk of the crowd. I was a little behind the lead pack, but well ahead of the chase group, so I was able to really swim my own race. Felt strong throughout.
What would you do differently?:

Not much -- maybe move a little closer to the main group to start. I came out of the swim :52 behind the AG leader
Transition 1
  • 01m 54s
Comments:

This transition area was HUGE. A bit of an issue getting the suit off my heals, but grabbed my bike and went. Was able to pass 2 guys in T1. Hoped on my bike, rode with my feet on my shoes until out of the curves -- slipped them in and went to town. 6th fastest T1 in my AG

Nothing really -- maybe a little faster on the run to transition.
Bike
  • 31m 15s
  • 20 kms
  • 38.40 km/hr
Comments:

This was nationals, so I knew I had to give it my all and leave it on the course. My bike was solid and I was making up some ground on a few people in front of me. Around mile 9, a group of 2 riders passed me riding awfully close together. I stuck with them, keeping my distance. Soon there was nearly 5 of us riding in close proximity. I stayed on the tail end as a course marshal pulled up on their motorcycle. At the turn around, I held in the back and watched as an array of rules were being broken. I was just behind the referee and say him writing some things down -- someone got nailed.

I stayed in the back as the other 4 were in a line with eventual near perfect spacing to not be drafting and decided to try something I had always wanted to do. I gathered my strength and decided to make a full on push to pass all 4 of them and keep going. I was able to do this and put some distance between them but ran out of gas towards the end of the climb. I was passed by 3 of the 4, and followed them into transition from a safe distance.

Headed into T2 in 6th place -- 1 spot out of awards. 2:05 back from AG leader

I have been really working my bike this year and couldn't have asked for much more. Last year I was usually MOP biker (30-40%). This year I have been able to push closer to the front. There is still more work to be done, but the immediate results are encouraging.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

I had made the decision to go sockless and save some time. I got one foot in no problem, but had trouble even holding the back of my other shoe. I was starting to feel the bike. Got my foot in, felt my insoles were bunched up, but went for it.

9th for AG,

Gotta do something about the insoles.
Run
  • 18m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

Normally my run is my strongest part, but I was cooked. I gave it what I had and was able to pass the guy in 5th around the first mile. I was on the podium, but for how long? I knew there was some guys within about about 30 seconds of me on the bike, so I kept it moving. I saw some strong runners at the turn around and gauged I had about 75 seconds on them with 3 miles to go.

I was flat though, didn't have anything left to pick up my speed. I was about 40 seconds back on 4th place, and at the 2nd mile saw I had around 45+ on 6th. All I had to do was keep my pace and I was going to be on the podium. I came into the finish shoot and was thrilled to be done -- 3:15 down from the AG winner and aboout :30 up on 6th place.

I was totally cooked and had nothing left.

hing. This was the first race I have done that I truly felt like I had nothing left. My wife said I looked pretty defeated coming into the finish. I was still in shock about what had happened. I finished top 5 in my age group at nationals against some of the fastest in the country and 51st overall and qualified for 2016 Worlds.

2 years ago, I did my first local race and finished 4th in my AG, and 19/100. Today I finished my 11th triathlon and finished 4th in my AG (remember that penalty I saw issued) against some of the top AGers in the country. A truly humbling experience.

Nothing.
Post race
Warm down:

Nothing. Showered, got ready for awards then drove 15 hours home!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Training and work. I do landscaping so after 10-12 hours in the heat, it makes it tough some days to come home and train.

I know where I stand against the best of the best, so I there is much work to be done.

Event comments:

AG Nationals -- hands down the best run race I have ever been to. Worth the experience.

Last updated: 2015-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:20 | 750 meters | 01m 31s / 100meters
Age Group: 7/67
Overall: 84/1673
Performance: Good
Suit: Full body wetsuit
Course: Clockwise U
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 65F / 18C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:54
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:31:15 | 20 kms | 38.40 km/hr
Age Group: 9/67
Overall: 107/1673
12:16, 12:06 for 5 mile laps -- 182 bpm avg, 240 W Avg
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back. Fairly flat, but a bit of climbing (especially over the bridge)
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 96
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Too hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:18:31 | 03.1 miles | 05m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/67
Overall: 76/1673
5:54, 5:58, 5:59 MILES -- 185 BPM aVG,
Course: flat, solid surface, open course to see where others were
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-08-10 6:23 PM

User image

New user
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
Subject: USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals Sprint

2015-08-11 9:25 AM
in reply to: #5134209

User image

Subject: RE: USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals Sprint

Great race, congrats !

Good luck at worlds !!!

2015-08-11 2:19 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Brooklyn, New York
Subject: RE: USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals Sprint
Thanks a mil for this race report. My goal is to be competitive in sprint AG Nationals soon and hearing your success is inspiring. Appreciate the details

Edited by TJHammer 2015-08-11 2:20 PM
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » USA Triathlon Age Group Nationals Sprint Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

USA Triathlon Age Group National Championship

Started by markdills38
Views: 1449 Posts: 5

2007-07-06 2:55 PM WaterDog66

Started by ybedell
Views: 1525 Posts: 4

2007-07-03 9:47 AM juliapurr

Started by markdills38
Views: 1924 Posts: 8

2006-07-16 5:29 PM evil lizzie

Started by Blackbud
Views: 1944 Posts: 7

2006-07-11 10:14 AM TriForrestTri

Started by coredump
Views: 2549 Posts: 20

2006-07-11 9:38 PM markdills38
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 18, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
BT amateurs compete in San Diego race on the world stage.

date : October 21, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Part Three: What's Reality Got to Do with Anything Old?
date : September 16, 2011
Part Two: On Appreciation and Acceptance. At some point your body will let you down. Then you have to decide whether it is really the enemy.

date : April 14, 2011
author : Kyle Pawlaczyk
A disappointing start to the season need not set the tone.
date : March 10, 2011
comments : 1
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete

date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.
date : November 27, 2005
author : Ontherun
For most age-group triathletes, getting the most out of there time for quality workouts can be daunting. Think outside the triangle to get a little more.

date : September 5, 2004
author : Team BT
The start of the race I had the jitters. I was watching the other age groups start as they seeded the swim with over 1000 participants.