General Discussion Race Reports! » Westborough Sprint Triathlon - On Road Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Westborough Sprint Triathlon - On Road Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Westborough, Massachusetts
United States
Sun Multisport Events
78F / 26C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 21m 15s
Overall Rank = 100/249
Age Group = M 40-44
Age Group Rank = 18/27
Pre-race routine:

Up at 5, out of the house by 5:30. Ate some raisin toast with sun butter, drank a pint of water and some iced tea. At venue and checked in by 6:30, transition set up and chatting with fellow competitors by 7.
Event warmup:

Stretching at home to loosen the back and hamstrings (PT). 200yd swim - during which my waterproof watch took on water and quit on me!
Swim
  • 08m 56s
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 02s / 100 yards
Comments:

I was actually really happy with my swim, it was faster than my last sprint and on par with or better than my training sessions. I just couldn't find anyone to draft. I passed a couple people either back stroking or breast stroking, certainly got passed by a few, but couldn't find anyone to pace with.
What would you do differently?:

More swim training! It's my worst discipline by far.
Transition 1
  • 02m 7s
Comments:

SO happy I cut my T1 time from the last race in half.

Still need to work more on running out of the water, getting more of my wetsuit removed on the way to transition, and getting all my bike crap on faster.
Bike
  • 45m 40s
  • 14 miles
  • 18.39 mile/hr
Comments:

It really didn't feel as slow as it was. Heat, more hills than I'm used to, sure. But I spent way too much time clipping in and getting going at the mount point - I think I missed my second shoe and stopped three times... Too slow climbing, and the hills really aren't much.
It should be noted that I switched to clipless pedals a few days before the race, and the race was my first road ride with them.

More hill work, more pacing strategy. I've ridden this distance a ton of times but in training I'm more focused on getting it done and finding out later how fast I was going, rather than pushing out of my comfort zone.
Plus, I REALLY need to corner better. I slow down way too much. I know I'm doing it, I just don't know my cornering limits and am terrified to reach them.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

This was about the same as my last tri.

I think the biggest things I can do are to get running shoes on faster - lock laces!
Run
  • 23m
  • 3 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Without my watch I had no idea how I was doing. It felt terribly slow. It was hot by that point, and the off roading was tough on the ankles - lots of loose stones. I just kept pushing and those mile markers came up fast, and wouldn't you know I beat my run time from my last tri!

More nutrition! I had a mojo bar about a half hour before gun time, then a few sport beans on my way to get on the bike, then nothing before the run. I figured the carbs in the vitalyte on the bike would be enough.
Post race
Warm down:

Had a pint of water, an orange slice, spent a little quality time with my feet in the ice bath, and borrowed some ice to put in my tri top. Then went for about a 1/2-3/4 mile jog to cool down.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Heat, nutrition, pacing on the bike, and a slow down in training in the few weeks between my first and second tri.

Event comments:

All in all I loved it. Great location, beautiful lake (even had a hot air baloon flyover on the swim), outstanding police and volunteer presence on the bike course, great camaraderie with other competitors.

Last updated: 2015-07-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:56 | 440 yards | 02m 02s / 100yards
Age Group: 21/27
Overall: 152/249
Performance: Average
Suit: DeSoto short/vest 2 piece
Course: triangle
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Bad
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 02:07
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:45:40 | 14 miles | 18.39 mile/hr
Age Group: 20/27
Overall: 107/249
Wind: Little
Course: Single loop, lots of turns at intersections
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:23:00 | 03 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/27
Overall: 60/249
Performance: Good
Course: Single loop, mostly off road around the lake.
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2015-08-19 10:09 PM

User image

DeLand, Florida
Subject: Westborough Sprint Triathlon - On Road Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Westborough Sprint Triathlon - On Road Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Westborough Sprint Triathlon

Started by tigers75
Views: 1146 Posts: 1

2011-08-15 6:49 AM tigers75

Started by gamecom17
Views: 1151 Posts: 1

2011-08-14 9:47 PM gamecom17

Started by Tynan19
Views: 1459 Posts: 5

2010-08-21 3:07 PM Tynan19

Started by mav
Views: 2528 Posts: 10

2010-08-16 10:18 PM isis

Started by ricksmith725
Views: 852 Posts: 1

2010-08-15 1:33 PM ricksmith725
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 11, 2011
author : FitWerx
comments : 1
Dean from Fitwerx answers a BT member question about what kind of bike should be the "next bike."

date : December 27, 2008
author : FitWerx
comments : 9
Are you a beginner triathlete? This video will compare triathlon bikes and road bikes to help you figure out what is best for you as you begin your triathlon training.
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : August 29, 2004
author : Ron
Program outline of the 16 and 20 week sprint triathlon training plan overviews.