General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DIY Midfoot cleat position and Daniela Ryf Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-03 10:43 AM

Veteran
Subject: DIY Midfoot cleat position and Daniela Ryf

So we all look at what the top Pros are doing and try to incorporate their strategies with our own. There is no debate Daniela Ryf is unstoppable right now, and the one thing I see her doing differently from her competition is she is one of the only ones who has adopted a midfoot cleat position on the bike. Supposedly there are a lot of benefits for the bike and the run. So why not give this a try as an age grouper? Well, all shoes are manufactured to have the cleats positioned on the forefoot and someone would have to drop a pretty penny to have custom shoes made..... So why not make them yourself? I would like to try this with some old cycling shoes of mine. I figured it is worth a try because I can do this for basically <$100. So if it is a bust, no big loss. Does anyone have any ingenuity ideas for successfully mounting cleats to the midfoot of the cycling shoe?

I suspect I would need to do some drilling and maybe install some kind of plate to hold the cleat on to my shoe. I have Look Keo pedals and cleats right now, but I’m thinking they may be too big and I may need to pick up some egg beaters or SPD pedals. Also, my spare shoes are specialized and they are not too flat on the underside. But I can always try and score a different brand of used ones.....

Any ideas?

2015-09-03 10:57 AM
in reply to: Tri-a-betic

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: DIY Midfoot cleat position and Daniela Ryf

The guy that designed her shoes was interviewed by Fitter Radio. You may find some good info

http://www.fitter.co.nz/documents/Episode054-Ironanditsroleinthebod...
2015-09-03 11:30 AM

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
I had a pair of my old shoes drilled further back.

It's...ok.
2015-09-03 11:30 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

Champion
Knoxville area
2x post

Shoes were shimano btw

Edited by Leegoocrap 2015-09-03 11:35 AM
2015-09-03 11:55 AM

User image

Oakville

I don't have any advice on how to do it, but here's a few blog post from Joe Friel on the topic:

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2014/11/midsole-cleats-and-pedals.html

http://www.joefrielsblog.com/2011/03/midsole-bike-cleat-running-performance.html

In the 2014 post he warns that you may have to switch pedals as the cleat may not fit in the mid-sole area of the cycling shoe.

2015-09-03 12:29 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL

I haven't had any shoes modified, but I do have my cleats set pretty much all the way to the rear on my LG shoes.

I have degenerative Achilles tendinosis and missed most of 2010 with a couple of partial tears in my left Achilles.  One of the suggestions my orthopedic surgeon made was to move my pedals reward to help take stress off my Achilles.  He also cautioned me to be careful when riding out of the saddle.

Had to adjust my seat position a bit, but no other major changes.  It didn't take long to get used to it and feels fine now.

Actually, the hardest thing to get used to was clipping in without looking down, since the cleats weren't  where I was used to them being relative to the pedal.

Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » DIY Midfoot cleat position and Daniela Ryf Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Cleat position

Started by JGC
Views: 804 Posts: 3

2010-05-17 7:13 AM RUNNIN2LIVE

Cleat positioning

Started by SeminoleTriathlete
Views: 952 Posts: 5

2009-02-22 6:58 PM yaqui

Cleat position & Numb toes.

Started by Yosel88
Views: 1813 Posts: 5

2009-01-25 11:50 AM Rum_Runner

Cleat position on cycling shoes

Started by swiss tri
Views: 893 Posts: 4

2008-03-12 5:15 PM tkbslc

Cleat position

Started by gonetrialing
Views: 758 Posts: 4

2006-06-05 1:14 PM FishrCutB8
RELATED ARTICLES
date : July 14, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 2
Is there an ideal head position? The criteria below will give you a general idea of when you know you have found your sweet spot for head position.

date : July 31, 2013
author : AMSSM
comments : 0
Since just about when taper started, and on nearly every run since, I've been having pain in my midfoot. Any ideas what might be going on?
date : February 6, 2010
author : FitWerx
The correct cleat orientation and float for a rider is dependent on their individual foot, pedaling mechanics, and cleat position.

date : January 8, 2010
How do I know if my cleats need to be adjusted? And how do you know in which direction to adjust them? I have been having medial knee pain and edema but my LBS says the cleat placement is fine.
date : December 28, 2009
author : AMSSM
I think I have pes ansurine tendonitis. I have had tender to-the-touch pain on the medial aspect of both knees after riding. The pain is more acute the couple of days after a ride.

date : September 9, 2008
What is your opinion on cleat position? Is there a general rule that you follow when you first fit an athlete?
date : September 9, 2008
Many things will influence your triathlon bike position, but if you are forced to set your position up on your own, there are several overall guidelines that should help.

date : March 17, 2008
author : CPT
In this third segment, Colorado Premier Training goes through several bike position tests to improve on rider efficiency. This was accomplished by varying the saddle height and aerobar width.