Dirty Spokes
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 32m 1s
Overall Rank = 43/
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 5/
Pre-race routine:

Had a yogurt parfait from Chic-fil-A and drank a cup of coffee ...then, ugh, took care of business before going to the race site.
Event warmup:

None
Run
  • 1h 32m 1s
  • 9 miles
  • 10m 13s  min/mile
Comments:

The race pace was slower than expected but finished better than I anticipated. Fulfilling the major goal of my training restart, I resisted the urge to check my Garmin every few minutes and instead ran based upon RPE.

While I have been working on foot strike/minute and placement under the hips, I did not even think about it during the race ...just tried to relax my stride and run my race.

Think I did a relatively good job pacing and making decisions to walk some of the steep inclines within the interior loop ...and that is what enabled me to run my fastest mile as my last.
What would you do differently?:

As usual in run races, I seeded myself in the back and then slowly worked my way through the crowd based upon how my legs felt. Decidedly did not run based upon my Garmin pace but RPE (used the Garmin to make sure that I did not go too fast). Need to reconsider this as it probably cost me 60-90 seconds as the race is based upon gun time for start and chip time for finish (add in time to get to start line and then time to make it through crowd). This would have been in the difference in 2 AG slots.

That said I do it because it helps me run my race instead of racing against others. Not sure that I have that discipline yet.

Probably better to stick with the program and run faster.

Also, ran with street shoes and twisted my ankle - at one point to where I had to stop to massage it out. Need to run these technical trails with a lower profile sole + better grip.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water, ate the protein bar the race provided, gobbled down a banana while waiting for the race results to be posted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still working on pacing/switch from Garmin reliance to RPE ... twisted ankle a couple of times - at one point had to stop/limp for a minute to work it out ...probably did not take in enough water (2 @ 8oz plain water).

Took a Gu at mile 5 water stop.

Event comments:

Rated the race as a "5" because Tim + his race crew really are great, unassuming people who genuinely want their races to have a great race.

They are runners and cyclist themselves (more fat than skinny tire) so they know what racers want and need.

Compare this to some of the more corporate races and it is a great contrast.

Last updated: 2015-08-24 12:00 AM
Running
01:32:01 | 09 miles | 10m 13s  min/mile
Age Group: 5/
Overall: 43/
Performance: Average
Lost my @!#%^ Garmin foot pod somewhere around mile 3 of the race ...it will be damn near impossible to find it so I will just have to purchase another. (The foot pod is turning out to be the most important data point in my re-training as I work on measuring/increasing my foot strikes per minute)
Course: Red Mountain State Park is a great location for trial race, the course is a mixture of double track which encircles the mountain and then ridge line trails through the interior - which can be technical at times. The exterior is has elevation gains and losses but on a more gradual basis. The interior loop has more peaks and valleys.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-09-13 10:55 AM

User image

Pro
Vestavia Hills
Subject: XTERRA Red Mountain Park
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » XTERRA Red Mountain Park Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Xterra Red River Shootout Triathlon

Started by DennisB
Views: 773 Posts: 1

2010-05-16 5:52 PM DennisB

Xterra Red River Shootout

Started by charlieq
Views: 857 Posts: 1

2009-04-30 11:34 AM charlieq

Xterra Red River Shootout

Started by dww2
Views: 661 Posts: 1

2009-04-26 2:44 PM dww2

Xterra Boney Mountain Trail Run

Started by mixie
Views: 1752 Posts: 8

2008-01-17 11:34 AM Mesteren

Nissan XTERRA Mountain Championship

Started by bock
Views: 1037 Posts: 6

2005-08-18 11:59 AM Rollin' Thunder
RELATED ARTICLES
date : January 29, 2006
author : seveerneb
comments : 44
How to consistently come in last place and enjoy it. By a real expert.

date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.