General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altitude Training Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2015-09-14 7:40 AM

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Subject: Altitude Training
So I've been a runner for awhile and had decent success with it. All of my training up to recently has been in the Chicago area which is at 600 ft. above sea level (maybe its 800?). However, I recently moved abroad for 2 years to Ethiopia and will be living at about 7000 ft. above sea level. I've been here for a few months already, but haven't been able to run yet due to my schedule. I'll have time to start running again in the next few weeks. So my question is apart from normal taking it slow to start up, do I need to be aware of anything else? I'm at a much higher altitude than I'm used to. Suggestions?

2015-09-14 7:53 AM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Master
Eugene, Oregon
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Altitude Training
Wow--would love to hear what it's like there! Talked with a friend about working in Adis a few years ago but he didn't get the admin job so I didn't apply. I've done quite a bit of training and racing at altitudes of up to 9,000 feet and a few times a bit higher, and trekking up to nearly 19,000 feet. Basically, just back off the pace and listen to your body--either run by RPE or heart rate, not pace. You'll really notice the altitude going uphill or if you try to do a tempo run or race. I'd avoid that for a while! You didn't mention swimming (not sure what there is there anyway) but if you do, you may have to change your breathing pattern (I have to switch mine from every 3-4 strokes to every 2). It's easier to get dehydrated at higher altitude as air tends to be drier, even when it's cool. Dehydration makes the effects of altitude worse (and, sadly, alcohol in almost any amount hastens the effects of both), so make sure to stay well-hydrated, but you might want to skip the post-run beer.

I personally think pre-exercise caffeine helps a little with altitude adaptation, but make sure you hydrate enough if you're hitting the Ethiopian coffee! Also swear by the Sherpa favorites of potatoes and garlic, but will pass on their smoking habit ("Sherpa oxygen"?????)
2015-09-14 8:45 AM
in reply to: Hot Runner

User image

Veteran
Waukegan, IL
Thanks! So just making sure to take it really easy, especially at first and before trying anything speed related.

Swimming isn't really an option for me. There are probably a few pools in the capital but I'm living and teaching about 4 hours south of the capital. Also the organization I'm with pays us at about the level of local teachers so even if there was a pool near me, it would be out of the question financially.

Ethiopia is pretty neat. Very beautiful country. Addis is pretty cool too. I haven't spent that much time in Addis even though I've been here for 2 1/2 months. I'm teaching about 4 hours outside of the capital in a little mountain town.
2015-09-14 12:57 PM
in reply to: The Chupacabra

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

I'll second the point that dehydration is a huge factor. So hydrate, hydrate, hydrate!

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Altitude Training Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

High Altitude Training

Started by Cagolddigger
Views: 1226 Posts: 10

2011-05-24 11:58 AM spudone

High Altitude Training

Started by Bmel
Views: 918 Posts: 9

2011-01-20 9:48 AM rayd

Simulated Altitude Training/Sleeping

Started by climbin5414
Views: 1045 Posts: 8

2007-08-29 4:47 PM SauseEnte

altitude training?

Started by Mottyl
Views: 795 Posts: 6

2005-07-05 9:36 PM Mottyl

Hi Altitude Training

Started by dteague
Views: 1239 Posts: 8

2004-05-11 11:29 PM joeinco
RELATED ARTICLES
date : September 21, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
Altitude training has become a hot topic to increase performance. Since not every athlete can simply relocate to an altitude environment the next question is how can altitude training be simulated?