Lin-Mark Sports
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 15m 10s
Overall Rank = 103/143
Age Group = 55-59
Age Group Rank = 13/17
Pre-race routine:

Pretty easy since we're just a 5-10 minute drive from the park. Routine was the same: up early, bagel with PB, and a Pom/Banana/peach smoothie. Actually went to the bathroom twice before we left the house and again just before the race started. Not at all easy with tri-bibs and a bike jersey.
Event warmup:

Had picked up packet the day before, so just got set up and walked around to see how the course looked, especially the bike out and in, which wasn't clear from the maps.
Run
  • 19m 36s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 48s  min/mile
Comments:

Pretty good run, about where I expected to be.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all. While I continue to frustrated that I'm so slow in relation to the field in running, this was slightly better than I'd have anticipated for the opening run.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Fairly quick for me. Most of the time was the easy jogging into T1.

OK with this.
Bike
  • 33m 18s
  • 10 miles
  • 18.02 mile/hr
Comments:

With the Guru in the shop in Maryland for an upcoming triathlon, I did this race on the Ridley. Obviously faster on the Guru, or I think I would've been. I've never felt particularly fast on the Ridley, which I attribute to its compact crank. I like the smaller crank for Bucks County's typically rolling rides, but on a flat course like this it seemed like a disadvantage. Still, pleased with how this turned out. Not fast, but a very solid effort. AP and NP were 152/160, so right on schedule. Was a little crazy entering the course, what with all of the elite types making the turn for the their second loop; a lot of "On your left" going on for that first trip out.

Hate to look at technology or gear for the solution, but I 'd have probably done better riding the Guru or putting a normal sized crank on the Ridley.
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

Didn't take my shoes off before dismounting here; too much of a hassle and the potholes had me concerned being barefoot. Had a little trouble getting into the shoes, so that took some time I'd not planned on. I wore the Newton Aha shoes, which were great, but trying to slip them on while wearing socks and not untying was tough.

Not much, this was generally OK. Some bungee or lock laces might've helped to cut a few seconds.
Run
  • 19m 26s
  • 2 miles
  • 09m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Actually had a better second run, a first for me in a duathlon. Paced off a woman who passed me just as we were hitting the towpath; she was running between 9:30 and 10:00, and it was a pretty comfortable pace. Figured I'd stay with her and then pick it up as we got closer to the finish line. I picked up the pace and passed her and a couple others just past the picnic area at the far end of the park. Was really hoping for around 19 minutes but that was just out of reach.

Not sure I'd do anything different. This was a solid run for me, and I was probably one of the few in the field that had a faster second run. Maintaining a solid pace was essential in pulling that off, although it's possible I could've pushed slightly harder. I'm getting frustrated with my runs; although I'm doing better and expending less effort in a faster time, I'm still really slow overall in comparison to the field.
Post race
Warm down:

Got some water, walked around, ate a bagel and a tiny cinnamon bun.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall run times, which - while better and improving - are still very slow, and the slowness of the Ridley vs. the Guru. But I'd hoped for 1:15 as a stretch goal and I was right there.

Event comments:

Even thought it's in my backyard, I've never done this race becasue it falls during the latter part of tri season (thus messing with workout schedules) and we're not typically here over Labor Day weekend. Almost decided not to do this because of conflicts with my training plan, but I'm glad I did. Good crowd, friendly, and a solid event.

Last updated: 2015-09-05 12:00 AM
Running
00:19:36 | 02 miles | 09m 48s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 123/143
Performance: Good
Course: On Wash Xing Park roads to the towpath, down past the first bridge and then back through the back part of the park. Totally flat, but with some grass running (which I thought was pretty nice).
Keeping cool Good Drinking
T1
Time: 01:24
Overall: Average
Run with bike? Average
Jump on bike?
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Average
Biking
00:33:18 | 10 miles | 18.02 mile/hr
Overall: 91/143
Wind: Little
Course: Out of park, down River Road to the Taylorsville Road intersection, back to the park with a turnaround by the Visitor Center, repeat.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:19:26 | 02 miles | 09m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 108/143
Course: Same course as first run.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-09-22 9:34 AM

Subject: Bucks County Duathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Bucks County Duathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Bucks County Marathon

Started by tribeagle
Views: 995 Posts: 1

2011-12-21 3:25 PM tribeagle

Bucks County Winter Race Series - Tyler Challenge 10K

Started by michael2_19030
Views: 973 Posts: 1

2011-12-19 6:45 PM michael2_19030

Bucks County Winter Race Series - Jingle Bell 5.3 Miler

Views: 879 Posts: 1

2011-12-11 4:30 PM michael2_19030

Bucks County Winter Series - Covered Bridge 5K

Views: 1041 Posts: 1

2011-12-10 6:49 PM michael2_19030

Bucks County Covered Bridges Ride

Started by kofian
Views: 949 Posts: 1

2011-11-01 8:52 PM kofian
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 20, 2008
author : araqnid
comments : 0
After doing duathlons for the last couple of years, I decided to go for a triathlon. Starting with an Olympic-distance race perhaps wasn't wise, but it was fun (of a sort).

date : October 2, 2007
author : docgill
Is it possible for loners to work in a small group and still have plenty of time on their own? Training in small groups can give many benefits.
date : June 11, 2007
author : Terese Luikens
My first duathlon was a success. I had so many fears before the race but none of those fears happened. And when it was all over, I felt I had accomplished something big.

date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
comments : 1
This program should be used for an athlete who is new to duathlon and their goal is to complete a sprint duathlon without difficulty. The schedule consists of 3 workouts per week in each sport.
date : October 30, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete who is an experienced duathlete and their goal is to complete a medium distance duathlon without difficulty.

date : September 4, 2004
author : Daniel Clout
Don’t forget this is an incredibly big year for sport with the Olympics back in Athens where the modern Olympics started, and especially triathlon to make its second appearance.
date : September 1, 2004
author : AskMrsBT
"I was wondering if this is a sensible approach? Should I get "better" on short distance and then move to something longer or do what I want if I feel I can do it whatever the time?"

date : August 31, 2004
author : smeeko
Bricks refer to training on two disciplines during the same workout.