Rocky Mountain Endurance
55F / 13C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 47m 49s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 2/3
Pre-race routine:

Hadn't registered for this race, so got there 1.5 hours early to register. Wandered around a bit, headed back to my car and had a snack and read a book for a while,then got dressed and ready to go.
Event warmup:

Rode out and back on the park road a couple of times along with everyone else - probably 3 miles, got my legs moving and happy.
Bike
  • 1h 47m 49s
  • 20 miles
  • 11.13 mile/hr
Comments:

They started us right from the parking lot onto singletrack, so we were stuck in the order we hit the singletrack right from the get-go, with no room to pass for a while. Luckily, it was a strong group of women, and we all just cruised together in a line for a while. At the start, I met another woman from Evergreen who has kids at the same school as mine, and I pretty much followed her back wheel for the entire first lap. I felt like I was riding strong, and didn't feel like I needed to pass anyone because we had a whole lap to go. At the end of the first lap I passed a couple of gals in the older age group, and started getting passed by a few of the crazy fast guys doing the 30 mile race Passing went fine though - everyone was nice and polite. One guy tangled handlebars with me passing on the way up Mt. Carbon, but I stayed upright and we laughed. Things spread out on the second lap, and I was on my own more. I was still chasing the chick from Evergreen, but she was about 1/10th of a mile in front of me. I just kept going as fast as I could, and before I knew it I was on my way up Mt. Carbon for the second time, and heading downhill to the finish.

Very uneventful race. Great group of women to race with. Only a couple others in my age group, but they started all the age groups together and there were 10 of us who finished within 2-3 minutes of each other.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing, really. Maybe push a bit harder on the hills on the second lap - my HR data shows I didn't work quite as hard on the second lap. But overall, I pushed it for the whole race and I'm happy with my result. I finished right in the middle of a pack of strong women, and even beat a couple of women who I figured would pass me for sure. Probably my best-executed race of the season.
Post race
Warm down:

I was all sweaty and it was cold, so I went to the car and changed into jeans and a long-sleeved jersey, and headed back to the finish area for awards. Got my award, then left pretty much right away - it was chilly out there!!

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Just fitness. Definitely put down a slower second lap time, could improve a bit on my endurance there.

Event comments:

I did two Rocky Mountain Endurance races this year - the Breck 32 and this one - and they were both great races. Good organization. A little expensive, but they give out more swag than the other races (t-shirt, better prizes) and they have good post-race activities (bouncy castle for the kids, coolers full of beer, etc). This one is on a more boring trail, so I give it a 4, but the race org gets a 5!!

Last updated: 2015-10-05 12:00 AM
Biking
01:47:49 | 20 miles | 11.13 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 3/
Performance: Good
Lap 1 - 52:31 Lap 2 - 55:18 Average HR - 165 Max HR - 179
Wind: Some
Course: Two laps around Bear Creek Lake park.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2015-10-05 10:38 AM

User image

Expert
Evergreen, Colorado
Bronze member
Subject: Battle the Bear
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Battle the Bear Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Battle the Bear

Started by drewb8
Views: 841 Posts: 1

2013-05-06 9:22 AM drewb8

Battle The Bear MTB XC

Started by gearbri
Views: 789 Posts: 1

2007-05-24 2:30 PM gearbri

Battle of the Sexes Duathlon

Started by mauisurfchick
Views: 834 Posts: 1

2006-04-16 4:42 PM mauisurfchick

Battle of the Sexes Duathlon

Started by snikpos
Views: 1110 Posts: 11

2005-04-05 6:35 PM TriMom217

Health First Battle of the Bridges

Started by DRM
Views: 1690 Posts: 5

2004-06-15 8:05 PM Hermom
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 13, 2013
author : alicefoeller
comments : 0
CGI’s headline races are the New Jersey State Triathlon and Black Bear, which is a half-iron and Olympic distance race in the Poconos in early June. We interview the race director, Michelle Redrow.

date : September 12, 2009
author : Nancy Clark
Maintaining bone health throughout the lifespan should be a priority for all athletes, starting as youngsters and continuing as master's athletes.
date : November 22, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : December 27, 2004
author : dwilliams
What? This isn't a duathlon?