General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Course - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Greenfield, Massachusetts
United States
Greenfield Recreation Department
61F / 16C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 56m 18s
Overall Rank = 74/77
Age Group = F50-54
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Despite staying over to not have to get up too early, and being there in plenty of time, I felt a little off my game setting up transition. I brought with me a few new options for my transition area and nutrition and race storage that I hadn’t used before, so I think having new options and not being 100% sure when I arrived in transition what I would use, how and at which time factored in my mind being a little unfocused. This was also my first "big" triathlon where I knew several people so there were some distractions in set-up that I haven't had in other races.
Event warmup:

I did not do a lot of pre-race warm-up of the sort I might do for a running-only race, which I probably should do. I did do a swim warm-up from the swim exit (near transition) to the swim start (near the bridge) which was helpful for warming up my swimming muscles.
Swim
  • 26m 30s
  • 1109 yards
  • 02m 23s / 100 yards
Comments:

- Had goggle issues (water leaking in) for much of the swim, causing me to slow and stop several times for adjustment. Also didn’t properly defog lenses. Next time will use training (bigger) goggles that I know seal well vs. “race” (smaller) goggles that occasionally don’t sit quite right.
- The warm-up swim from swim exit to swim start was a good idea and got me comfortable in the waer, although I apparently didn’t notice or take sufficient action on the goggle issues.
- Still need to work on my swim efficiency and kicking. No progress since Litchfield Hills last year (2:22 pace). 3 Sprints with wetsuit earlier in the year had paces 2:04-2:18.
- Not seeing the up-river turn-around buoy (around the river bend) was a little disconcerting, not being able to visualize how far I had to go until I reached the bend and was almost there. Similar issue down-river as the bridge was tough to spot in the glare of the sun. However, the line of white buoys was very comforting, and I didn’t have to sight forward, just kept an eye on the buoy line. Stayed a little too close at times, knocking a couple buoys with my stroke.
- I was coming out of the water just as the horn was going off for the first Sprint wave. I decided the horn must be for me and the other 2 ladies scrambling out at the back of the pack. Yay us!

What would you do differently?:

Use better goggles, and de-fog properly. Need to work on my swim pace and stroke efficiency, but this is not new news.3
Transition 1
  • 03m 39s
Comments:

- Short run (~0.05 mi) from river bank to transition.
- Pretty efficient top wetsuit removal while exiting the water, jogging up to transition.
- Felt a little disoriented/dizzy while stripping off the rest of the suit in transition. I completed my transition deliberately, aka slowly. Placed my wetsuit in the trash bag, wiped my feet a couple of times, made sure my gloves were on. Impacted T1 time.

Don't worry about wetsuit. Consider not using bike gloves.
Bike
  • 1h 57m 12s
  • 30.16 miles
  • 15.44 mile/hr
Comments:

- Overall was pleased with completing each loop within the 30 min I had allocated.
- Nutrition plan worked well overall…honey gels are awesome. The nutrition bar I had packed was too dry, and fell out of my new pouch twice, so I think I was destined not to eat it. Relied on gels and shot block type stuff, and I think that was fine.
- Hydration - paced my electrolyte trying to drink 1/4 of the bottle per lap, and just about finished it; tried to drink as much water as possible and swap in the bottle exchange each lap. I felt pretty well hydrated and really had to pee by the end of the bike, so used the porta potty in T2. First time I have had to do that in a race.

Don't try a new nutrition box on race day. Don't pick up sh*t that falls out. Don't drink quite as much water.
- Hills – the hills were tough, but I got in low gear early and just slogged through them. I rode the whole time, never had to dismount on the hills. The first hill out of transition I was able to stay mostly straight on the side. The hill following the bridge I had to zig zag a bit in the first switch back which was the steepest part, but the the grade softened a bit and I was able to stay to the side and go up, though slow.
- Overall speed – I was not aggressive enough on the flats to keep my speed up, I relaxed a bit recovering from the hills and didn’t take as much advantage of the flats to benefit the average speed. I completed the bike under my prediction, but I was *hoping* to beat it by a little more.
Transition 2
  • 02m 20s
Comments:

- Other than needing to use the porta potty, the T2 was pretty smooth.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 26m 40s
  • 7.17 miles
  • 12m 05s  min/mile
Comments:

- The run was tough. I was a little spent from the bike hills, and it was hot. I managed to keep “running” (slogging) up the first hill out of transition, and settled into a good pace when the course flattened out. I managed paces of 11:54, 11:52 and 11:21 in the first 3 miles. Then I got to the bridge, and in the shade of the bridge I slowed to a walk to gather myself and prep for the hill. I started back into a jog as I exited the bridge, but the momentum had gone…after a few yards of the steep hill I decided I was better off walking the hill and conserving my energy for a faster pace post-hill. After cresting the hill, I alternated walking and jogging but never got into a good rhythm. My lower back (right side) was hurting a bit, I felt like my core muscles weren’t engaged enough and tried to suck in my gut. I had a gel or two, but hadn’t really planned out my run nutrition so didn’t force myself to stick to a plan. I had a palm water bottle and drank when I needed and refilled at most of the water stops. I let them spray me and used wet sponges.

Plan nutrition and stick to it.
Pace myself in the early part of the run to conserve some energy.
Do more core work during training.
Post race
Warm down:

Since I was the last of my TTNE training group to finish, I had a big cheering section waiting for me at the finish. Nice! I was spent but able to talk and share race stories.

Totally forgot to stretch after, need to be more diligent about that.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Overall Result: Prediction: 3:58:24 (roll up of individual predictions) Actual: 3:56:18
Comments:
- Had an Overall goal of completing in under 4 hours, stretch goal of finishing by noon with 8:04 start. Just made it (give or take 18 sec.). Conclusion: my predictions are pretty good and my goals are achievable (self-fulfilling prophecy?:). But these paces are not going to cut it in a half or full iron distance.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2015-10-13 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:26:30 | 1109 yards | 02m 23s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 74/77
Performance: Below average
Suit: ProMotion Wetsuit
Course: In Green River, with line of buoys (milk cartons on a rope) down the center. Started at bridge, swam up river along left of buoys, around a bend, around a big buoy, then back down river to the bridge, around another buoy, and back up river about 1/3 of the distance again, to the swim exit.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Average Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 03:39
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:57:12 | 30.16 miles | 15.44 mile/hr
Overall: 74/77
Performance: Average
Wind: None
Course: 4 loops of 7.58 miles, each with 2 steep hills
Road: Potholes Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 02:20
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:26:40 | 07.17 miles | 12m 05s  min/mile
Overall: 71/77
Course: almost 1 loop of the bike route including the 2 steep hills
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-14 3:02 PM

User image

Subject: Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Course
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Course Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Course

Started by mtnbikerchk
Views: 1541 Posts: 10

2014-08-06 9:58 AM jmkizer

Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Course

Started by peregrinesgirl
Views: 1051 Posts: 1

2012-08-05 4:23 PM peregrinesgirl

Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Dis

Started by Itri12
Views: 1090 Posts: 1

2007-08-06 10:35 AM Itri12

Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Distance

Started by lobstergirl
Views: 1381 Posts: 2

2007-08-09 12:45 PM KathyG

Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Dis

Started by SunnyS
Views: 2101 Posts: 8

2006-08-07 2:25 PM grems8544
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 5, 2008
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Complete course preview of the North East triathlon on 8/17/2008 featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : January 1, 2008
Complete course preview of the Philadelphia Women's Only Triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a Duathlon race. Mark your calendars!
date : December 3, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the New Jersey State triathlon featuring a Sprint and a Olympic distance race. Mark your calendars!

date : November 22, 2007
comments : 1
Complete course preview of the Black Bear triathlon in Pennsylvania featuring a Sprint and a 1/2 Ironman distance race. Mark your calendars!
date : October 4, 2007
author : AdamA
comments : 4
I was passing others who were saying, "Good job, 587" (that was my race number). People were cheering me on. These were the nicest people I have ever been around!

date : July 11, 2007
author : Amy Kuitse
Discussions on training after adductor tendonitis, swimming drills, training after 3 down base weeks from allergies to get ready for a HIM, hill drills, Computrainer courses vs outside rides and more.
date : October 2, 2005
author : AMSSM
Knowing where the fluids are, how they will fit on your bike, how much to reach for, and when to reach for it should be understood prior to ever setting foot on the course.

date : September 1, 2004
author : infosteward
Experts agree, doing a “mock,” triathlon on the course you’re racing can aid you in your training; performance and most of all quell some nervous energy.