World Triathlon Corporation
45F / 7C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 38m 12s
Overall Rank = 897/1361
Age Group = M4044
Age Group Rank = 147/187
Pre-race routine:

Up at 4:00, eat 2x peanut butter sandwich, 3x hard boiled eggs, 2 cups coffee. Stay in warm places as long as possible; sat in car an extra 10 minutes with heat blasting, bundled up with extra layers, then stayed near other people and out of wind. Cold start! High winds, beautiful clear day otherwise.
Event warmup:

Take it real easy.
Swim
  • 1h 02m 5s
  • 3000 meters
  • 02m 04s / 100 meters
Comments:

Pretty cold water. I was comfortable with full suit and bare feet. I did wear earplugs and I pulled my swim cap down over my ears, and that helped a lot.
Transition 1
  • 08m 20s
Comments:

At the pre-race briefing, it was emphasized how cold the weather would be, so I decided to change my plan and wear just a speedo under my wetsuit. This would mean a longer T1, but I'd be able to dry off. I opted to leave my warm clothes in my transition bag and changed into my race kit and got out pretty easy. I was able to jog out of transition without feeling winded.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing at all. The change tent was crowded, so I had to change everything but shorts outside, then I had to find a spot inside to change my shorts, and even with all that and wrangling my own bike, I still was happy with everything.
Bike
  • 5h 41m 52s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.66 mile/hr
Comments:

Best bike I can ever remember. Very cold, I may have benefited from having at least arm warmers. After the first hour, I decided to dial back my hydration (48 oz/1st hour, then 24-30 oz/h after, all Gatorade). Nutrition was spot on; I had two gels on the half hour, and some food on the hour (Clif shot blox, yogurt pretzels, dried fruit & nuts), for 500-600 kcal/h. I did have a bike issue; my seat post was slipping, so I stopped after about a half hour to tighten it up. It slipped again within a few miles, so the rest of the ride felt not as comfortable as maybe it could have.

Bottle handoffs were great, no issues there. I had enough nutrition to get through the ride, but I did stop at special needs to get snacks. I made (I think) just one bathroom stop, and yeah, it was well needed by that point.

The winds were intense, but I don't remember ever being bothered by them or seeing my pace slip that much. I was hitting the 10 mile markers every 30 minutes pretty regularly, and my HR stayed mostly 135-140.

I did break one rule (no new equipment). I had been training with a borrowed Rudy helmet that was just big enough for my head, but a few days before the race looked at the strap and said, I don't trust that to stay fastened the entire time. So I was going to wear my regular helmet. Then I got to the expo, and there was a Garneau aero job that just looked so sleek, and it fit like a glove, and it was 10% off, and I said, yeah, that's my new helmet. And it worked out great. (I did wear it around the house for a bit and then on my last test ride, and y'know, I've been wearing helmets for a while so I figured it was a worthy risk.)

Figure out how to carry my snacks to avoid special needs unless necessary. Point-by-point checklist of bike a few days before the race. Race wheels.
Transition 2
  • 07m 47s
Comments:

I felt great here. I just changed socks and shoes, and I didn't need to dry off or anything. To be honest, I really liked racking my own bike.

Probably nothing!
Run
  • 6h 38m 8s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 15m 12s  min/mile
Comments:

And here we have the run. Same as before, not really my strength. Not yet. I ran more than I walked for a while, and by about 3-6 miles in had tried to settle into walk 2 min, run to a half mile, repeat. I took nutrition at most aid stations, alternating gu & water with gatorade & whatever. It was really pretty cold, but I didn't feel chilled until around mile 18, when I think I hit a wall. I walked all of that mile and maybe most of 19, until I got to run special needs, where I had a LS shirt and some snacks (Moon pie, dried fruit & nuts, yogurt pretzels). I put my shirt on and hammered all the food, and kept walking, and by mile 21 I was back to run/walking. The last few miles I was able to really pick up the run pace, maybe 8:00/mile for a minute or so at a clip, and it really felt good at that point. Then next thing I knew, I hit the final turnaround, and I just ran it home.

I had to pee several times, and it wasn't little trickles either. But I didn't feel overhydrated or crampy. I think I may have been undernourished during the middle third; once the sun set, it got cold, and I think my caloric burn jumped a lot. My appetite wasn't really great, but I was able to enjoy the chicken broth.

Wear warm clothes sooner. Take more nutrition earlier; I may have been getting 100 kcal/mile (400 kcal/h)? Probably not enough.
Post race
Warm down:

"WARM DOWN" LOLOLOLOLOLOL LOOK IT WAS 2 FRICKIN DEGREES OUT AT THE END I WARMED DOWN PRETTY MUCH RIGHT AWAY. Okay not really. I drank a bottle of water, tied my space cape around me and hustled over to pick up my morning clothes. By the time I got dressed I was so cold that I just started adding layers over what I was wearing, and it was just about enough. I had some pizza (objectively pretty crap stuff; cardboard with tomato sauce and "cheese", but at that point pretty much the best thing ever). I wanted to hang out at the finish, but I got so cold I just had to get back to my house.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I think I did the best I could given my training. Next up, get the run under 4 h, then we're ready to attack Kona.

http://www.wunderground.com/personal-weather-station/dashboard?ID=K...

http://www.ironman.com/triathlon/events/americas/ironman/maryland/r...

Event comments:

First time ever an Ironman was rescheduled, and they really really made it work. First class event as usual, only difference was no bike handlers (which I actually liked better). Plenty of swag, food, volunteers, party zones, yeah, I'll be back.

Last updated: 2015-10-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:02:05 | 3000 meters | 02m 04s / 100meters
Age Group: 142/187
Overall: 890/1361
Performance: Good
Suit: Vortex full
Course: Modified loop; roughly triangular, kind of confusing (last minute change due to high winds).
Start type: Wade Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 63F / 17C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 08:20
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:41:52 | 112 miles | 19.66 mile/hr
Age Group: 51/187
Overall: 285/1361
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 70
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:47
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
06:38:08 | 26.2 miles | 15m 12s  min/mile
Age Group: 147/187
Overall: 897/1361
Performance: Average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-10-19 9:57 PM

West Haven, CT
Subject: Ironman Maryland

2015-11-12 3:51 PM
in reply to: #5147766

User image

Camden, NC
Subject: RE: Ironman Maryland
Nice work in the wind and cold! I raced there in 2014 and loved it. I just signed up for IMMD 2016, I will be in the 40-44, see you there!

Scott
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Maryland Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Ironman Maryland

Started by Sean6364r
Views: 1803 Posts: 3

2014-10-02 9:16 AM jenstewey

Ironman Maryland

Started by klassman
Views: 2255 Posts: 4

2014-09-29 8:57 AM klassman

Ironman Maryland

Started by haight2
Views: 1245 Posts: 1

2014-09-21 4:53 PM haight2

Komen Maryland Race for the Cure

Started by MelissaE
Views: 956 Posts: 1

2007-10-14 12:55 PM MelissaE

Ocean City Maryland Marathon

Started by captantony
Views: 1108 Posts: 7

2005-04-18 6:42 PM velasqu7
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 27, 2012
author : ytriguy
Some of the major mistakes I made over a 28-year career that I would do differently if I had it all to do over again.
date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon

date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.
date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race

date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?

date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.