United States
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 00m 23s
Overall Rank = 157/1092
Age Group = F30-34
Age Group Rank = 9/98
Pre-race routine:

Got up just before 6. I have been sick for most of the past week, so I took a shower to try and break my fever and spent some time on homeopathic remedies to decongest myself. It worked pretty well.
Event warmup:

I was afraid to warm up, since I assumed I didn't have any energy to spare. We had to walk a good half mile from the parking lot to the stadium, and then Jeff and I walked around the park near the stadium a bit to check it out, since we've never been there. I probably should have sat down for awhile, rather than be on my feet for that entire hour and a half. Also, the race start took so long that I got really cold and had to leave the corral (fortunately I was right near an exit) so Jeff could warm me up.
Run
  • 1h 00m 23s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 02s  min/km
Comments:

This wasn't a bad run. I was feeling periodically feverish, but I managed to just ignore it and hold my pace pretty well. I was 9:36 at the first mile and 18:41 at the second (there were no other clear mile markers for the 10K), so I know I was cruising at the beginning. I started to fail after three miles, though, and needed to walk a few times. The last mile or so was really bad - I was starting to space out and dragging. I wanted to get in under an hour, and was outside the stadium around :58, so I kicked it into gear and really started pushing it, but I kicked in too soon and died while going around the warning track - I almost just walked to the finish - but got a fourth (fifth?) wind down the third base line and finished very hard. Nearly passed out afterward, though. Took me a good half hour of sitting and eating to get my bearings back.
What would you do differently?:

Not be sick. Honestly, I think I ran an awesome race, but I was not physically capable of pushing any harder today. I felt feverish skin-crawling come back several times during the race, so I know it was affecting me. I could tell that my legs were in really great shape, though, and without those other stresses I could have gone a lot faster without much strain.
Post race
What limited your ability to perform faster:

Being sick. I've only been running a low fever, but I haven't been able to shake it. Being on campus with it twice this week, and running all my other errands, didn't help. I didn't sleep that well last night because if it either. If I were healthier today, I would have knocked this out of the park.

Last updated: 2015-10-16 12:00 AM
Running
01:00:23 | 10 kms | 06m 02s  min/km
Age Group: 0/98
Overall: 0/1092
Performance:
Course: Out of Arm and Hammer Stadium parking lot, down along route 29 south to Lalor St overpass, turnaround at Lalor St, back up 29 north to Capitol Complex where we turned to cross the Trenton Makes bridge. Into Morrisville we took a right to loop down a residential street and back, then up to the main street (PA 32?) along the river up to the next bridge. We went left around another block before doubling back to the bridge, across to 29 south, and straight to the stadium, where we ran around the outside, in near the first base line, and around the warning track to finish at home plate.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-11-07 10:09 AM

User image

Lawrence Township,
Subject: Trenton Half Marathon 10K
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Trenton Half Marathon 10K Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Haunted Hustle Marathon, Half Marathon, and 10k

Started by Vitamin_B
Views: 1366 Posts: 3

2010-10-31 11:50 AM bzgl40

Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon/Half Marathon/10K

Started by super67atl
Views: 1085 Posts: 1

2010-05-16 3:46 PM super67atl

The Cowtown Ultra, Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, 5K

Started by KSH
Views: 1490 Posts: 2

2010-03-06 7:22 PM jkron

The Cowtown Ultra, Marathon, Half Marathon, 10K, 5K

Started by TTucker
Views: 1362 Posts: 1

2010-02-28 7:59 PM TTucker

Rite Aid Cleveland Marathon/Half Marathon/10K

Started by nuttysami123
Views: 1177 Posts: 2

2009-05-19 12:42 PM lastcall2003
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.