General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 10

2016-08-24 9:46 PM
in reply to: #5195942

User image

, Vermont
Subject: RE: Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread
One of the guys is in ICU - saw the thread on DC Rainmaker. Hoping he's healing okay.

2016-08-25 7:50 AM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
West Palm Beach
Wow! Congrats to all :-)

Never raced in such conditions for so long. I have no idea how I made it through the day. Between the downpours going downhill and fhe deer crossing infront of me going downhill my nerves were on edge.

Beautiful venue! Happy recovery to all

Alicia
2016-08-25 2:11 PM
in reply to: trirun26

Master
, California

Not a fast day but I finished.  But I bike in that kind of weather where I live so it wasn't a huge shock.  I am sorry to hear about people being too cold to finish the bike -- it's weird how people acclimate differently.  I brought a long sleeve cycling jacket just in case but I didn't end up using it because I thought I would be too warm.

The most nerve wracking thing was the narrower sections on the bike because of course crowding and people suffering from poor braking.  I pretty much gave up on doing my own pace and just became a lemming in those spots.

2016-08-25 8:35 PM
in reply to: #5196655

User image

Ottawa, Ontario
That was a tough day, but even with my reduced training for the last 8 weeks I finished just under 13. Over my goal but can't complain in those conditions. The waves in the lake were interesting, and the rain actually stung on some downhills. Had a scary moment when a gust caught my wheels going down the big gully on the 117.
So I'm 0 for 2 on weather, I did IM Canada last summer where it also rained the entire bike and was way colder, 9degC at the start. Sorry to hear the cold got to you Jenn, next year!. Congrats to everyone that was out there, it makes for an even better memory/toughness builder. Speedy recoveries.
Marius
2016-08-30 9:17 AM
in reply to: 0

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by maroose

That was a tough day, but even with my reduced training for the last 8 weeks I finished just under 13. Over my goal but can't complain in those conditions. The waves in the lake were interesting, and the rain actually stung on some downhills. Had a scary moment when a gust caught my wheels going down the big gully on the 117.
So I'm 0 for 2 on weather, I did IM Canada last summer where it also rained the entire bike and was way colder, 9degC at the start. Sorry to hear the cold got to you Jenn, next year!. Congrats to everyone that was out there, it makes for an even better memory/toughness builder. Speedy recoveries.
Marius

Just means you will have to do it again! I think I'm in again for 2017!

Hubby isn't a fan of me doing them every year just from a time saturation standpoint and he was recommending I try IMMD this year on Oct. 1st. since I'm already "trained." ..then the other night he said, "you know, if you don't do IMMD this year, you're going to have to go back to MT next summer..." Sold! We loved it there and I know I can do the course - won't talk with the EMT's next time if it rains! hahaha My first bike split was about 3:18, I was happy with that given the conditions.

Edited by aviatrix802 2016-08-30 9:18 AM
2016-09-01 12:07 PM
in reply to: aviatrix802

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by swgtri

Well, that was one for the record books! Who would have thought the swim would be the driest part of our day? I hope everyone came through the day in one piece. Between the crash(es?) on Duplessis and the folks treated for hypothermia, it was clearly a tough day. I think my core is still trying to thaw out!

I was one of the ones with hypothermia on the second loop of the bike. Bumming because I was sub 3:20 on the first bike loop and feeling strong. It is still very raw with me but I was shaking so badly I almost went down multiple times (I get cold very easily). The EMT guy pulled me in - lips, hands and feet were blue. I question if I had just found a garbage bag to wear, maybe I could have warmed up in it. I had no problems climbing Duplessis (warmest part of my day ).
I did get to see my sis in law finish though in 14:07 and another friend was fourth in her age group! She came in at 11:24 with a 3:37 marathon!!! Holy smokes!! I will be back. I know this course and can do it - just needed to be better prepared to the unforecast temps.
Contemplating IMMD now as I'm trained...Sunday turned into a long training day for me with the swim and 60 miles of the bike.

You should definitely do IMMD as a redemption race. In fact, IMMT was mine. I raced Norseman in Norway two weeks before IMMT and dropped out 45 miles into the bike due to heavy rain and wind with 39F/4C temperatures. I was shaking so hard that I couldn't steer the bike, and that was despite wearing a rain jacket, mittens, heat packs, leg warmers, toe covers, foot heat packs, and "waterproof" shoe covers. In comparison, I was quite warm swimming 2.4 miles in the 57F/13C fjord.

The next day, I looked to see if any Ironman races were still open. I was choosing between Maryland (I live in Virginia, so it's convenient) and Mont Tremblant. Ultimately, I went with IMMT because it was only two weeks away and I didn't want to train another seven weeks for Maryland. And I don't like flat courses.

I had horrible flashbacks on raceday at IMMT when the rain started, but it was warm enough that I was OK. The important thing is that I was prepared. I had a light jacket and gloves in my jersey pocket, and a heavy jacket in special needs. I didn't need any of it. Unfortunately, my jacket in special needs was thrown away, but what's another few dollars in the grand scheme of the costs of Ironman racing.

You don't want this hanging over your head all winter. Go ahead and get it done. You've done the training, You'll do this.

2016-09-07 6:42 PM
in reply to: kcb203

User image

, Vermont
Originally posted by kcb203

Originally posted by aviatrix802

Originally posted by swgtri

Well, that was one for the record books! Who would have thought the swim would be the driest part of our day? I hope everyone came through the day in one piece. Between the crash(es?) on Duplessis and the folks treated for hypothermia, it was clearly a tough day. I think my core is still trying to thaw out!

I was one of the ones with hypothermia on the second loop of the bike. Bumming because I was sub 3:20 on the first bike loop and feeling strong. It is still very raw with me but I was shaking so badly I almost went down multiple times (I get cold very easily). The EMT guy pulled me in - lips, hands and feet were blue. I question if I had just found a garbage bag to wear, maybe I could have warmed up in it. I had no problems climbing Duplessis (warmest part of my day ).
I did get to see my sis in law finish though in 14:07 and another friend was fourth in her age group! She came in at 11:24 with a 3:37 marathon!!! Holy smokes!! I will be back. I know this course and can do it - just needed to be better prepared to the unforecast temps.
Contemplating IMMD now as I'm trained...Sunday turned into a long training day for me with the swim and 60 miles of the bike.

You should definitely do IMMD as a redemption race. In fact, IMMT was mine. I raced Norseman in Norway two weeks before IMMT and dropped out 45 miles into the bike due to heavy rain and wind with 39F/4C temperatures. I was shaking so hard that I couldn't steer the bike, and that was despite wearing a rain jacket, mittens, heat packs, leg warmers, toe covers, foot heat packs, and "waterproof" shoe covers. In comparison, I was quite warm swimming 2.4 miles in the 57F/13C fjord.

The next day, I looked to see if any Ironman races were still open. I was choosing between Maryland (I live in Virginia, so it's convenient) and Mont Tremblant. Ultimately, I went with IMMT because it was only two weeks away and I didn't want to train another seven weeks for Maryland. And I don't like flat courses.

I had horrible flashbacks on raceday at IMMT when the rain started, but it was warm enough that I was OK. The important thing is that I was prepared. I had a light jacket and gloves in my jersey pocket, and a heavy jacket in special needs. I didn't need any of it. Unfortunately, my jacket in special needs was thrown away, but what's another few dollars in the grand scheme of the costs of Ironman racing.

You don't want this hanging over your head all winter. Go ahead and get it done. You've done the training, You'll do this.

Well, I've decided to not do IMMD.. This past weekend I raced a half ironman - "Big George" at the Lake George Triathlon Festival. I've wanted to do this race for a couple of years and hey, the time was right and I was generally trained. It was a beautiful day (a stark contrast..). I ended up 2nd in my age group at 6:00 hours flat. A little surprising to podium with a not very fast time (compared to other races I've seen times by other people on podium). I raced with a strained piriformis muscle - so no kicking with my left leg on the swim, bike was okay, and run/walking on the run. I did stop to help two different people on the run who were hurting (never thinking about time as I never expected to podium) and by mile 9 my piriformis was done and I could no longer run the hills at all and had significant pain for the last few miles. It's all good, I'm happy with my time particularly with the injury. Interestingly enough after the race my bike rode home in my car - we went to camp for 2 days so I didn't take it out until Monday (race was Sunday) - and low and behold my rear tire was flat! How lucky was it that apparently it was a slow enough leak that it lasted until the end of the race!!
So that's it for tri's for me for this year I guess. Once my piriformis heals (I'm still hobbling significantly) I'll start looking for a late fall marathon then onto winter maintenance for next year! Anyone going back to MT in 2017????? Coffee boat meet-up?? hahaha
New Thread
General Discussion Iron Distance Race Groups » Ironman Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Rss Feed  

of 10

RELATED POSTS

Ironman North American Championship Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 14 15 16 17

Started by Fred D
Views: 30035 Posts: 423

2014-09-01 10:07 AM strikyr

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9

Started by kaburns1214
Views: 33778 Posts: 217

2013-09-27 9:18 AM Birkierunner

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 2

Started by Fred D
Views: 9804 Posts: 45

2013-06-18 3:44 PM wannabefaster

Ironman 70.3 Mont Tremblant : Official Thread

Started by natethomas2000
Views: 7786 Posts: 25

2012-06-18 9:02 AM playmobil31

Ironman Mont-Tremblant : Official Thread Pages: 1 ... 15 16 17 18

Started by enginerd
Views: 68386 Posts: 444

2012-09-02 12:12 PM kcgolf
RELATED ARTICLES
date : June 23, 2012
author : ytriguy
comments : 0
Often it makes sense to race slower in order to finish faster and at the same time have a more enjoyable Ironman Triathlon experience.

date : April 18, 2012
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
An unexpected upside of completing a full distance triathlon
date : March 28, 2012
author : EnduRight
Iron distance racing depends on the three pillars of pacing, nutrition and mental outlook. Training these three areas can significantly improve your race.

date : June 27, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 8
A middle-of-the-pack triathlete takes on the iron distance for the first time at Rev3's inaugural full distance race
date : February 23, 2009
author : mat steinmetz
I will be 20 this summer and am planning on doing Ironman Montreal. This will be my first year of triathlon, can I do this and stay away from injuries?

date : November 17, 2008
author : mrakes1
During the race there will be plenty of opportunities to exchange bottles, so I'm thinking about going with the aero bottle and Gatorade bottle and fill up as necessary. What should I do?
date : July 30, 2006
author : IRONVIKING
If a heart patient can do these things, then so can those of you who haven't been split open like a fish and sewn back together.

date : June 4, 2006
author : Rich Strauss
comments : 2
I was not an official; I simply observed the race and the officials doing their thing. Here is what I saw: