United States
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 50m 49s
Overall Rank = 810/6184
Age Group = M 45-49
Age Group Rank = 82/404
Pre-race routine:

Got up at around 5:15am, and left the house at 6am. Got over to my work parking garage before 6:30am. Was able to do my typical pre-race routine at the nicer restrooms at the office.
Event warmup:

Ran over to the Gear Check area (about 1.5 miles back and forth) before coming back for picture taking, then ran back over to Corral A where I met up with Jennie (my friend Rob's wife). Was looking to pace her (given 22 minute 5K - I thought that 1:45 was doable).
Run
  • 1h 50m 49s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 08m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

This was designated as a training run as I really didn't have enough miles running the past month or so to think about racing it. Was also worried about my right ankle which was sore since getting back a couple of weeks ago from HK. Decided to pace a friend to keep me in control. I was initially planning to run right around a 1:45 which was what I thought would be a good pace for Jennie to run. Ran the first 3 miles around 7:50 pace as mostly downhill. It was too fast for her and we decided to back it down to a little over 8:00 but still too much so slowed to about 8:30 or so after the 4.5 mile mark. After 3 miles, started to ramp it closer to 8:20 but was still a bit fast. Finally kicked it the last mile.

I was able to keep HR pretty much under 140bpm this whole race so it was definitely a workout, not a race effort. Still slightly sore since I did not stop (unlike training runs where you have to stop for lights/street crossings). Thinking of doing another training run in early January.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing - this was a good training run and while I had run about this distance twice in training, it was slower and with some stops. Planning on doing 2 more weeks of build to about 16 miles before dropping back to recover.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much. Just walked around, had recovery shake from Gear check.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nothing -this was a training run and could've easily gone around 1:45 if not a few minutes faster but would've had to recover more and not sure my body could take that and also the hard bike workouts.

Event comments:

Still the premier running race in Dallas - though I think Rock'n'Roll half gives it a good run for the money.

Last updated: 2015-07-27 12:00 AM
Running
01:50:49 | 13.1 miles | 08m 28s  min/mile
Age Group: 82/404
Overall: 810/6184
Performance: Average
https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/982357105
Course: loop
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2015-12-22 10:57 PM

User image

Expert
Plano, National Capital Region
Subject: Dallas Half-Marathon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Dallas Half-Marathon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Rock 'n' Roll Dallas Half Marathon

Started by kussmaul
Views: 1052 Posts: 1

2012-03-25 5:16 PM kussmaul

Started by martinez_aron
Views: 912 Posts: 1

2011-05-09 12:41 PM martinez_aron

Started by jjupiter100
Views: 1213 Posts: 1

2011-04-06 8:23 AM jjupiter100

Started by eklung05
Views: 1101 Posts: 1

2011-04-02 3:32 PM eklung05

Started by m2tx
Views: 1600 Posts: 3

2011-03-28 12:38 PM m2tx
RELATED ARTICLES
date : April 28, 2015
author : hadleyusa
comments : 1
Training for a specific running event is not as easy as it might seem. Here are some tips and a weekly plan to avoid overtraining and to improve your performance.

date : May 24, 2010
author : Coach AJ
comments : 0
My question is am I playing with fire entering the half marathon this close to my primary goal for this season which is the HIM?
date : November 17, 2008
author : mat steinmetz
comments : 7
I just started doing tris this summer and I have two under my belt, both sprints. Is it reasonable to build up for a Oly in early ‘09, with a HIM in Oct of ‘09

date : June 10, 2008
author : kns57
Steady is our walk. Ignoring the pain that is radiating from my feet, I continue to place one foot in front of the other. Again I wonder, “Why am I doing this?”
date : July 10, 2007
author : Ontherun
Having three seasons under my belt I thought I knew what I was doing. That all changed with a few new challenges and a bunch of new friends.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
This program should be used for an athlete whose goal is to run a marathon in the 1:30-2:30 range and has a good running base in the past 8-12 weeks.
date : October 2, 2005
author : smeeko
comments : 2
I will assume you have not run consistently more than 6 miles and have never completed a half-marathon. I believe running your first half-marathon is a big task which requires dedication and work.

date : January 10, 2005
author : ewkfit
My training was taking off. I had never felt stronger. I was making bigger strides than I ever had. I was stronger and faster than I had imagined myself ever being.