BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN Rss Feed  
Moderators: alicefoeller Reply

of 5

2016-02-25 3:52 PM
in reply to: 0

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) CLOSED

Hey Jimmy,

Sorry for my delay in replying to your story, it would freeze up every time I would try to reply by using the quote button. I thought the whole site was freezing up on me. Sounds like you traveled quite a bit. We also recently bought a house last year. 

You may be one of those like me who also suffers in  heat considerably more than others.  Getting your nutrition strategy dialed in would be great for you. Sounds like you a good and fun racing schedule ahead of you too. 

Edited by triritter 2016-03-28 9:50 AM

2016-02-25 3:54 PM

User image

Tyler,
Subject: RE: Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN

Since I thought BT was acting up on me the last few days here is the pro tip I shared with the athletes I coach yesterday. 

Pro Tip: Dealing with negative self-talk during training and life, you need to be constantly combating your negative talk with aggressive positive talk. Constantly give yourself props. Tell yourself that you did well. The parts you didn't do so well, make adjustments to work smarter and harder to get it right or do better.

Edited by triritter 2016-02-25 3:59 PM
2016-02-25 4:12 PM
in reply to: triritter

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: Use visualization to your advantage. Most athletes who practice visualization before key races are more confident and end up doing better, study the course so you can have a vision of what it looks like, especially if you have never been there. Visualization is kinda like a day dream. This is how I've been doing it personally, close my eyes at night and I'm in Galveston I vision myself putting wetsuit, goggles, jumping off the pier. Starting, swimming hard and but I'm in total control with good form. (Most of the time I fall asleep before I get out of the water, visualization helps you fall to sleep fast) Out of the water onto the bike tucked into aero position I'm speeding along the sea wall with a tail wind. If I'm doing bike intervals on the trainer then I can close my eyes and vision it there). Onto the run I'm floating along the multi loop course almost effortlessly holding my goal pace, it's humid but manageable, I trained for this. Boom I cross the finish line, find Calley and give her a salty kiss and give Evan a big hug and lift him onto my shoulder.

2016-02-28 10:06 AM

Have room for one more?

My name is Justin and I'm 33 years old living in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I have a wonderful wife of 8 years and three young boys (5, 3, 1). I have convinced my wife to allow me to attempt a 1/2 Ironman this summer and she has been a great supporter.

I have never been much of a runner, and by that I mean I hate running. I am about 15 pounds heavier than I would like to be for my race, currently 5'9'' 185. I enjoy mountain biking and adventure racing so I run when I'm training to try to get into shape. 4 years ago I decided to try a 1/2 marathon and upon finishing I felt a huge sense of accomplishment. 2 years ago I decided to go for the full and again and it felt great. So this year I am attempting the 1/2 Ironman. The race is in Grand Rapids on June 12.

I have had some knee problems over the past several years. About two months ago I had been running regularly and was up to about 6 miles, which I felt good with at the time. However, I have since tweaked my knee and have only run one time in the last month. I have been focusing on swimming and biking due to the injury. The knee is feeling better and I should resume running this week. Currently I can swim the entire 1.2M but that is in the pool, I am sure it will be much different in open water. I am also trying to swim with board shorts so that when I switch to a more efficient suit my time will hopefully dropg (currently 46:00). I am swimming and biking about 3 times per week (biking for about 1 hour per session on the trainer). I am pushing myself while riding but I have no idea on distance. I'm looking forward to putting the bike on the road to get a better idea of how hard I need to push to maintain speed against the conditions.

I am very nervous about all the things I don't know entering the race...transitions, cutoff's, accidentally riding too close, changing a tire under pressure, and finishing the run without having to crawl. I am entering with the goal of finishing but I would prefer to finish around 6:15.

Looking forward to following these conversations.
2016-02-28 8:21 PM
in reply to: #5162613

Hey mate my name is Cody I am 24 years old and live in a small country town in Australia I have two beautiful girls aged 2 an 1. I have recently completed my first small triathlon and have got the bug bad. I have always been pretty active and have tried almost all sports an liked them but none could keep my attention. I have always had an appreciation for people that push the limits of what the body can do whether that be in a marathon , trail run etc. Triathlon has made the biggest impression on me an I am once again dreaming of being one of those people crossing the line holding his girls and showing them that the only limitations are the ones that we put on ourselves. I figured by aligning myself under people who know what they are talking about is one small step that I can take to making this happen today . Thanks for sharing your experience and time on people that are new an inexperienced very selfless. Cody
2016-03-02 11:04 AM
in reply to: Sorron8

User image

Tyler,

Hey  Justin,

Welcome to the group man!! Super excited to have you. Sorry for my delay. I have been out of town due to my grandpa's passing over the weekend.  

Congrats on your recent accomplishments! The biggest one is probably talking your wife into letting you do a half ironman. Sounds like you have your hands full with 3 young boys. Me and my wife, Calley have an almost 8 month old and she has an almost 16 year old teenager.  Which half ironman  did you choose? 

I hope the knee is  healing up alright. It's important to let it rest but keep it moving with strengthening as long as it doesn't hurt. 

Originally posted by Sorron8 Have room for one more? My name is Justin and I'm 33 years old living in Kalamazoo, Michigan. I have a wonderful wife of 8 years and three young boys (5, 3, 1). I have convinced my wife to allow me to attempt a 1/2 Ironman this summer and she has been a great supporter. I have never been much of a runner, and by that I mean I hate running. I am about 15 pounds heavier than I would like to be for my race, currently 5'9'' 185. I enjoy mountain biking and adventure racing so I run when I'm training to try to get into shape. 4 years ago I decided to try a 1/2 marathon and upon finishing I felt a huge sense of accomplishment. 2 years ago I decided to go for the full and again and it felt great. So this year I am attempting the 1/2 Ironman. The race is in Grand Rapids on June 12. I have had some knee problems over the past several years. About two months ago I had been running regularly and was up to about 6 miles, which I felt good with at the time. However, I have since tweaked my knee and have only run one time in the last month. I have been focusing on swimming and biking due to the injury. The knee is feeling better and I should resume running this week. Currently I can swim the entire 1.2M but that is in the pool, I am sure it will be much different in open water. I am also trying to swim with board shorts so that when I switch to a more efficient suit my time will hopefully dropg (currently 46:00). I am swimming and biking about 3 times per week (biking for about 1 hour per session on the trainer). I am pushing myself while riding but I have no idea on distance. I'm looking forward to putting the bike on the road to get a better idea of how hard I need to push to maintain speed against the conditions. I am very nervous about all the things I don't know entering the race...transitions, cutoff's, accidentally riding too close, changing a tire under pressure, and finishing the run without having to crawl. I am entering with the goal of finishing but I would prefer to finish around 6:15. Looking forward to following these conversations. [/QUOTE

2016-03-02 11:09 AM
in reply to: Cody92

User image

Tyler,

Howdy Cody! I'm from Texas USA.  haha. 

That's awesome on your first triathlon! It is addicting for sure!! Sorry for my delay in the reply to you. I've been out of town on and off the last few days due to my 94 year old grandpa's passing over the weekend.  

What other triathlons do you have lined up or thinking about? Let me know if I can help answer any questions!!  Some of the best triathletes in the world are from Austrailia, I'm sure you heard of Chris McCormick and Craig Alexander.  

Originally posted by Cody92 Hey mate my name is Cody I am 24 years old and live in a small country town in Australia I have two beautiful girls aged 2 an 1. I have recently completed my first small triathlon and have got the bug bad. I have always been pretty active and have tried almost all sports an liked them but none could keep my attention. I have always had an appreciation for people that push the limits of what the body can do whether that be in a marathon , trail run etc. Triathlon has made the biggest impression on me an I am once again dreaming of being one of those people crossing the line holding his girls and showing them that the only limitations are the ones that we put on ourselves. I figured by aligning myself under people who know what they are talking about is one small step that I can take to making this happen today . Thanks for sharing your experience and time on people that are new an inexperienced very selfless. Cody

2016-03-02 11:16 AM

User image

Tyler,

Sorry guys I've been out of town the last few days due to my 94 year old Grandpa's passing over the weekend and I've been keeping up with coaching and training. 

Here's how my training has looked the past few days and I'm heading to a big 15K local race this weekend and first triathlon of the year is next weekend. This week is bike focus with some light running, not much swimming due to my wife's travel schedule so I'm also with our 8 month old and getting him to daycare. I'lll swim again on Friday. 

Saturday I got in 4 hours on the bike including 2x45 min @ 70.3 watts (240-250 was my goal) I went 261 and 256 both with a 149 heart rate (that high zone 2 for me) but it was on the trainer.  Off the bike I ran 5 min easy, then 6 miles (goal 6:30-6:45) just shy of half ironman goal pace holding a 6:33 pace. I've been dressing in layers to get ready for the heat at Texas 70.3 in Galveston in April.

Sunday followed with a 2 hour run in the afternoon on a mixture of grass, trail, and a little road, including a 1x10 min gradual pickup near the end, I was surprised how quick I started moving with the heavy load this weekend. Followed that with a 15x100 choice recovery swim in an outdoor pool. 

Monday: REST/Travel

Tuesday: Bike 8x2 min hard / 1 min easy, run easy 20  min. 

Wednesday: Bike 3x10 min @ 280-300 watts (I actually held 286, 280, 284). Run 4x2 min @ 10k effort, 2 min easy.  

2016-03-03 4:36 PM

User image

Tyler,

Pro Tip: With the Fresh 15 this weekend, when you get tired focus on your technique instead of how far you have left. Focus on having your feet land underneath you, quick strides, make sure your arms aren't cross over and you're not rolling your head. Stay in the moment! Most of all smile! Be tough on Dueling Oaks road and focus on your technique. Go from mailbox to mailbox. Let it rip. 

2016-03-05 5:07 AM
in reply to: #5169633

I'm sorry to hear about your loss never easy. I am currently training for the tri port Stevens triathlon on the 23rd of May an have been signed up to a half marathon on the 1st of May just to get the feel of race pace I could not find any tris close enough an had to settle for just the run. Might be a good thing I have a lot of improvement to be made in cycling before I have another crack. I have been trying to do 20km four times a week but being very new to the cycling aspect I have found this very challenging. As for swimming I have been quite fortunate to know a few great swimmers who have been able to correct my swim stroke an make me far more efficient in the swim. So at the moment my training is 4 rides a week 2 flat circuits 2 hill circuits (where I am is flat as anything so the hills aren't much) 3 swims, 3 runs. I have a heap of questions but I'll try stick with 3 so I can get them down . 1. Is there any plyometrics or weight training especially legs that could help compliment my cycling ? 2. How important has speed/sprint sessions been in your running how much has it benefited your long distance run ? 3. Do you use any aids in your swim training e.g floats,flippers,boards anything if so anything I should be doing? Thank you looking forward to hearing your thoughts
2016-03-09 11:23 AM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by Cody92 I'm sorry to hear about your loss never easy. I am currently training for the tri port Stevens triathlon on the 23rd of May an have been signed up to a half marathon on the 1st of May just to get the feel of race pace I could not find any tris close enough an had to settle for just the run. Might be a good thing I have a lot of improvement to be made in cycling before I have another crack. I have been trying to do 20km four times a week but being very new to the cycling aspect I have found this very challenging. As for swimming I have been quite fortunate to know a few great swimmers who have been able to correct my swim stroke an make me far more efficient in the swim. So at the moment my training is 4 rides a week 2 flat circuits 2 hill circuits (where I am is flat as anything so the hills aren't much) 3 swims, 3 runs. I have a heap of questions but I'll try stick with 3 so I can get them down . 1. Is there any plyometrics or weight training especially legs that could help compliment my cycling ? 2. How important has speed/sprint sessions been in your running how much has it benefited your long distance run ? 3. Do you use any aids in your swim training e.g floats,flippers,boards anything if so anything I should be doing? Thank you looking forward to hearing your thoughts

Thanks Cody! Sorry for the delay here. I wouldn't worry about the distance or even hills. It is what it is. I'd learn the basics of cycling first. Use the trainer to ride on and do some single leg drills and mix in some high and low cadence work. Then get outside and learn to handle the bike through curves and making turns and just get efficient.  

Simply plyo's definitely complement like box jumps, squat jumps, long jumps, single leg hops. 1-2x a week of strength type training. 

Running speed work is definitely important during certain phases of the season. I would need get more review of you as am athlete as any specifics. 

I use some aids but not too much of it. 

2016-03-11 9:11 PM
in reply to: #5170622

Thank you all sound advice. I'm in the process of tracking down some cyclist around that wouldn't mine me tagging along for parts of their rides to watch an learn. I have also just got a new bicycle trainer for when I am home with the girls and unable to get outside. Is there anything you would like to ask to get a better idea of where I'm at and offer specific advice save me boring you with useless junk lol thanks again. Cody
2016-03-14 2:15 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by Cody92 Thank you all sound advice. I'm in the process of tracking down some cyclist around that wouldn't mine me tagging along for parts of their rides to watch an learn. I have also just got a new bicycle trainer for when I am home with the girls and unable to get outside. Is there anything you would like to ask to get a better idea of where I'm at and offer specific advice save me boring you with useless junk lol thanks again. Cody

Hey Cody! Build into it slowly nothing crazy. The bike is usually the easiest to adapt to pretty quickly especially when your bike fit is decent.  The running will need to be really slow and gradually. You  maybe ready to advance mentally but not physically.  A good coach that you can stay in touch with regularly can certainly help! I have a couple spots available but haven't worked with anybody in different countries before. For swim spend the time learning the swim  technique first and find a good local "hands on" coach for that especially if you have hardly any swim experience. 

2016-03-17 7:59 PM
in reply to: #5171704

Hey mate how is everything going ? Could you please tell me more on the training possibilities that you could offer I am signing up to the ironman Port Macquarie 2017 I am planning on giving myself 12 months to train for it starting on May 1st which is the race date for this year. Any advice or help will be appreciated thank you
2016-03-18 2:21 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by Cody92 Hey mate how is everything going ? Could you please tell me more on the training possibilities that you could offer I am signing up to the ironman Port Macquarie 2017 I am planning on giving myself 12 months to train for it starting on May 1st which is the race date for this year. Any advice or help will be appreciated thank you

Hey Cody, things are going well. I raced a sprint tri last weekend and was 4th overall. Coming off a  15k road race the week before my legs were still fatigued so my run wasn't that great. I did have an athlete win overall and we started the bike together and he rode away from me. We've been working on his bike all winter, he doesn't have a power meter so it was nice to see those race day results and hard work paying off for him. 

How have you been? 

For training possibilities...what is your email and I can send you a questionnaire form to start with to learn a lot more about you and your life situations and then we can arrange a call after that.   My email is [email protected] to send me a line over there. Have a great weekend!!! 

2016-03-19 7:11 AM

Great Job on the race this past weekend. How do you stay focus throughout the year? Obviously it is part of life for you at this point but I find it harder and harder to get my work outs in since I still can't go outside to train. The weather in Michigan is still in the low-mid 40's during the day so all my training is happening indoors. The training plan that I have has me doing all three diciplines 3X per week. As well as giving me one day off per week. The plan calls for morning and evening workouts 3x per week in order to get all of them in. With three small kids I have a hard time devoting my morning and evening to working out...instead I've been doing both workouts in the morning before work so that I can spend some time with family in the evening. I've been running or biking before my swim on those mornings.

I've been feeling ok during the swim portion as the training is only calling for between 1000-1500 yards for those swims. I can hold my 1:55/100 yard pace throughout those swims but I thought that my swim speed would be getting faster. When I started swimming two months ago I was in the 2:10/100 yard pace.

In your experience what are a couple of things that you wish you knew or did before your first tri? What mistakes have you made that you wouldn't ever do again? Is there any gear that is a must that one may not think of? I'm blessed to have a good friend with a nice tri bike they have let me use until after the race and I've bought a wetsuit as water temps are most likely going to be in the low 70's on race day.

Thanks,
Justin

2016-03-21 5:07 PM

User image

Tyler,

Hey Justin,

As a family man now I also do all my training in the mornings.  I've been on the trainer almost the entire time even on the weekends so I can get used to heat better for Texas 70.3.  It does take a few months to really ingrain into your lifestyle and CONSTANT communication with your wife. Don't let your other duties slack at all....I'll leave that there. 

Hmm in my experience...if I could have done something different. 

My first tri was almost on a whim. I wasn't really prepared for the swim, even though I'm athletically inclined that was a total shock to me. I near vomited in the (pool) swim. I spent time pinning my numbers on in transition and didn't have speed laces. I was fourth overall in my first triathlon and I think third was maybe 10-20 seconds ahead.  

When you do go purchase your fit bike. Remember most fitters are terrible. lol, (I work under John Cobb by the way).  You ideally, want to get on a fit bike to find your measurements for the best stack and reach numbers so you know which frames fit you the best. Spend the money on the fit first then frame. That can save you money in the long run!!  Chat soon! Thanks for joining the group here.  

Originally posted by Sorron8 Great Job on the race this past weekend. How do you stay focus throughout the year? Obviously it is part of life for you at this point but I find it harder and harder to get my work outs in since I still can't go outside to train. The weather in Michigan is still in the low-mid 40's during the day so all my training is happening indoors. The training plan that I have has me doing all three diciplines 3X per week. As well as giving me one day off per week. The plan calls for morning and evening workouts 3x per week in order to get all of them in. With three small kids I have a hard time devoting my morning and evening to working out...instead I've been doing both workouts in the morning before work so that I can spend some time with family in the evening. I've been running or biking before my swim on those mornings. I've been feeling ok during the swim portion as the training is only calling for between 1000-1500 yards for those swims. I can hold my 1:55/100 yard pace throughout those swims but I thought that my swim speed would be getting faster. When I started swimming two months ago I was in the 2:10/100 yard pace. In your experience what are a couple of things that you wish you knew or did before your first tri? What mistakes have you made that you wouldn't ever do again? Is there any gear that is a must that one may not think of? I'm blessed to have a good friend with a nice tri bike they have let me use until after the race and I've bought a wetsuit as water temps are most likely going to be in the low 70's on race day. Thanks, Justin

2016-03-28 9:49 AM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by triritter

Hey Jimmy,

Sorry for my delay in replying to your story, it would freeze up every time I would try to reply by using the quote button. I thought the whole site was freezing up on me. Sounds like you traveled quite a bit. We also recently bought a house last year. 

You may be one of those like me who also suffers in  heat considerably more than others.  Getting your nutrition strategy dialed in would be great for you. Sounds like you a good and fun racing schedule ahead of you too. 

2016-03-28 9:50 AM

User image

Tyler,
2016-03-28 2:59 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

My name is Curtis.  I took on Triathlon a little over a year ago.  Like William I come from a long running back ground.  I won my first competitive race over 30 years ago and have been a competitive AG runner ever since.  My cycling and swimming background are not as impressive.  I did the cycling and swimming merit badges growing up, but had never trained for any events or competed in any events in either.   I did my first 70.3 triathlon in my home town last spring on 4 months of training.  I did well at that distance and plan to stick with it for several years until I get bored of it and want to try something different. I like trying things that other are experimenting with to see for myself what works and what doesn't work.  I value advice born of personal experience over anything else.  I find research interesting and look at it as a collection of personal experience of many people but am not impressed with textbook formulas or cookie cutter training plans because I don't feel they are understood well by most of the people that are discussing them and think that many of them come from experience with groups of athletes who fall into a completely different molds of Triathletes that what I fit into.  I will share my experience with the group and hope others will too.  I like an active group it looks like William is the right person to keep ideas moving on this thread.  Thanks for taking the time to mentor this group.  I hope we have a productive group this spring.   I am getting close to 40 years old.  I recently moved from Marble Falls, TX where I did my first Triathlon in my home town to McAlester, OK.  

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-03-28 3:15 PM
2016-03-28 3:08 PM

User image

Cypress, Texas

Originally posted by jimmybags Hello! I was in one of these mentoring groups all year last year, but I think I want to mix up the group this year. Everyone was super awesome in my other group and doing it again this year, but why not give something new a try? Are you still accepting members?

I am switch it up too.  You learn something new from everyone you meet so a new group is sometimes a good thing even if your old group was great (I really like many things about my group last year too, they got me through my first Triathlon).

Originally posted by triritter

Hey Jimmy,

...You may be one of those like me who also suffers in  heat considerably more than others.  Getting your nutrition strategy dialed in would be great for you.... 

I am definatly one of those guys that doen't do well in the Heat. 

Edited by BlueBoy26 2016-03-28 3:13 PM

2016-03-29 11:49 AM
in reply to: BlueBoy26

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by BlueBoy26

My name is Curtis.  I took on Triathlon a little over a year ago.  Like William I come from a long running back ground.  I won my first competitive race over 30 years ago and have been a competitive AG runner ever since.  My cycling and swimming background are not as impressive.  I did the cycling and swimming merit badges growing up, but had never trained for any events or competed in any events in either.   I did my first 70.3 triathlon in my home town last spring on 4 months of training.  I did well at that distance and plan to stick with it for several years until I get bored of it and want to try something different. I like trying things that other are experimenting with to see for myself what works and what doesn't work.  I value advice born of personal experience over anything else.  I find research interesting and look at it as a collection of personal experience of many people but am not impressed with textbook formulas or cookie cutter training plans because I don't feel they are understood well by most of the people that are discussing them and think that many of them come from experience with groups of athletes who fall into a completely different molds of Triathletes that what I fit into.  I will share my experience with the group and hope others will too.  I like an active group it looks like William is the right person to keep ideas moving on this thread.  Thanks for taking the time to mentor this group.  I hope we have a productive group this spring.   I am getting close to 40 years old.  I recently moved from Marble Falls, TX where I did my first Triathlon in my home town to McAlester, OK.  

Hey Curtis, thanks for sharing your background info and welcome to the group, even though it's starting to wind down.  How did your half ironman go? That is a hilly area in Marble Falls. Was that part of the HIT Series?  I agree, personal experience dominates always but I can't coach everyone like me either just because I trained a certain way or the way I perceived my personal experiences. I have to adapt my coaching to the athlete.  Please let me know what other triathlon/run races you have coming up this year. I'm also from Texas by the way.  

2016-03-30 8:49 PM

Staying motivated...

Anyone have any advice on how to stay motivated to train. As I said previously I do most of my training in the morning before work. When I started training I thought that swimming would be the hardest adjustment, after one swim with the wetsuit I am much more confident. My training plan calls for all three disciplines 3X per week with a long run and a long ride each weekend. I am pushing myself to complete my 9 mile run (8:30/mile pace) and make 35 miles on the bike (19mph) on the next day. I get to the gym on Monday and really feel like I'm dragging. It feels like I never have a chance to recover before the next weekend when I need to do it all over again.

I have decided to eliminate one swim per week and do one medium distance and one longer distance (.5 mile and 1-1.5 miles approximately). I was very motivated at the beginning but these past two weeks I've had one kid get the flu followed by him mom...both lasting 4-5 days each. I feel like I fell off the boat and forgot how to get back on. I'm sure I just need to push through this funk and get back into the routine (which I felt great about when I was consistent) again.

Has anyone had the same experience? Any suggestions? There is a chance that I just needed to complain to someone and since my wife is sick it's hard to complain to her right now...
2016-03-31 4:44 PM

User image

Tyler,

Originally posted by Sorron8 Staying motivated... Anyone have any advice on how to stay motivated to train. As I said previously I do most of my training in the morning before work. When I started training I thought that swimming would be the hardest adjustment, after one swim with the wetsuit I am much more confident. My training plan calls for all three disciplines 3X per week with a long run and a long ride each weekend. I am pushing myself to complete my 9 mile run (8:30/mile pace) and make 35 miles on the bike (19mph) on the next day. I get to the gym on Monday and really feel like I'm dragging. It feels like I never have a chance to recover before the next weekend when I need to do it all over again. I have decided to eliminate one swim per week and do one medium distance and one longer distance (.5 mile and 1-1.5 miles approximately). I was very motivated at the beginning but these past two weeks I've had one kid get the flu followed by him mom...both lasting 4-5 days each. I feel like I fell off the boat and forgot how to get back on. I'm sure I just need to push through this funk and get back into the routine (which I felt great about when I was consistent) again. Has anyone had the same experience? Any suggestions? There is a chance that I just needed to complain to someone and since my wife is sick it's hard to complain to her right now...

Hey there,

The first half of your paragraph it sounds like you might not be eating and hydrating enough. It's important to balance sleep, nutrition, hydration, and recovery  methods. 

As part of life little hiccups with your kids getting sick will happen and you need to have some flexibility to adapt. The main thing is that you're being over consistent. 3x a week per discipline is basically a minimum. 

Like you, I also have to do all my training in the morning. 

I hope everything else is going well. 

2016-04-01 11:49 AM

User image

Tyler,

Hey guys thanks for joining the group!

I enjoyed getting to learn about you each of you and the individual differences we all go through in order to compete in our sport.  Feel free to keep asking questions in this thread throughout the year and I'll check from time to time. Also, you can connect me with me more socially on my facebook www.facebook.com/williamtritter  and my email is [email protected]  

If you're interested in coaching please feel free to reach out to me and I can do a  promo on the third month for you. At this time I only have two spots left I'm willing to take on (maybe a couple of more in May or June). I current coach beginners, aspiring Ironman, age group athletes who want to get faster, an elite amateur who wants to go pro, and a high school track/cross country guy.  Check out the website here. www.flytriracing.com or www.facebook.com/flytriracing.com  

I'll be at the following big races: 

Texas 70.3
Ironman Texas (spectating)
Buffalo Springs 70.3 ????
River Cities Triathlon 
Redman Half Iron
Austin 70.3 

Good luck to each of ya'll. Please don't  hesitate to contact me! 

William  

New Thread
BT Development Mentor Program Archives » Entry Level to Ironman Fly Tri Racing (Tri Ritter's Group) OPEN Rss Feed  

of 5

RELATED POSTS

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group (Open)

Started by Baowolf
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 1:30 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's fun in the sun Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 26 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:48 AM Baowolf

Baowolf's Summer Extravaganza Mentor Group

Started by Baowolf
Views: 13 Posts: 1

2014-05-18 12:01 AM Baowolf

Playmobil31's Group - Open

Started by playmobil31
Views: 65 Posts: 1

2011-12-18 3:37 PM playmobil31
RELATED ARTICLES
date : March 12, 2014
author : TeamMPI
comments : 1
The majority of new triathletes see the open water swim as their biggest stumbling block. Here are four steps to help you have a better swim experience in your first (or next) triathlon.

date : June 14, 2012
author : IndoIronYanti
comments : 4
MAPS is Meditation, Acclimatization, Practice, and Strategy, which are key for giving you the confidence and skills to execute the open-water swim in a triathlon well.
date : September 15, 2011
comments : 0
Don't be scared for the swim! Gain more confidence for your open water swims with these tips

date : March 10, 2011
author : Scott Tinley
Tinley on triathlon, aging, and the attitude of a masters athlete
date : June 14, 2010
author : Oakley
In this Oakley Armchair Session, British triathlete Tim Don talks about a few tips to prepare you for your open water swim.

date : May 5, 2008
author : TriPainter
I went into the pool area (as this was a pool swim) and got body marked. That's when it hit me that I was there to race - this was not a clinic.
date : August 17, 2007
author : EndurancePlanet
37-year-old Bill Fults is an age-group triathlete. But by day he's an Air Flight Paramedic. He also spent the better part of a decade as an Army Ranger.

date : January 10, 2005
author : infosteward
'Open Water' is this triathlete’s nightmare because I have a fear of swimming in open water. Not because I can’t swim, but mostly because I can’t see what’s swimming with me in the water.