United States
NA
20F / -7C
Total Time = 3h 16m 12s
Overall Rank = 12/119
Age Group = Women Ex.Credit
Age Group Rank = 1/23
Pre-race routine:

Got to the lot with little time to spare. Met up with a few friends and chatted, signed the log book and then lined up!
Event warmup:

just a little jogging from the car, used the race to warm up
Run
  • 3h 16m 12s
  • 25 kms
  • 07m 51s  min/km
Comments:

FAT ASS = No Fees, No Awards, No Aid, No Wimps

"The 2016 Fat Ass will be remembered as the snow year. No record times this year and most decided that one loop was a sufficient workout for their first run of the year.

The re-routing using the Main Tiger Road avoided the deepest snow up Bootleg. At least three runners did use the Bootleg and plowed through 4 foot deep snow up and over West Tiger #1. There were a number of extra credits earned with various planned or unplanned trail options. Generally everyone working their way through the one foot of snow on the tower road admitted it was tough going but accepted it in the spirit of a Fat Ass event."

I ran with a couple friends for the first 4 or 5 miles. This was the portion of the race that wound around the base of the mountain. It was nice, easy running and a great way to warm up on a very chilly day. Is you can guess from the above quote from the "organizer" it had snowed an exceptional amount but the day was clear and cold and beautiful!

Finally we crossed over to the High School trail, one I am very familiar with, and started our first long climb (about 3 miles.)

I broke away from our group pretty quickly on the climb. I put my head down and one foot in front of the other. Gradually the snow got deeper and deeper. The trail also got steeper and steeper and finally the combination of compact snow and steep terrain forced me to stop and put on my micro-spikes. I did this relatively quickly then jumped back on the trail.

We continued ascending then finally crested the final hill and continued along the broad ridge before descending down into valley along the TMT trail. Descending into the valley in the deep snow was a blast. We crossed a few icy-snow-covered bridges and then made a medium long climb up another ridge before descending into another valley.

I was running pretty hard at this point because I wasn't completely familiar with this part of the trail due to the reroute. I caught up to a group of guys and made the turn up onto the service road with them. The snow was deep here, at least a foot. Someone had post-holed their way through here ahead of us so I really tried to stay in their tracks but they had a much longer stride than I so it was a challenge. It was veeeeerrrry slow going here as we climbed our way up, up and up!

I had chatted with a few of the guys as we worked out way up the mountain. We decided it was such a beautiful day, we should take a little detour up to Tiger Mountain #1 (the range has a series of peaks.)

It was about a half mile (one way) out of the way and 500' gain but it was SO WORTH IT. What a view (see photos)

Descending was fun too as the deep snow had been softened by the sun.

We descended back to the main route and then climbed up to the next summit. (Tiger #2.) After this summit you run across a short ridge section, in the middle of it was a two man band playing (and singing) jingle bells on the ukulele! It was awesome. We passed the duo and headed across the last part of the ridge to finally hit the third summit of the day (Tiger #3)

Now it was time to descend! I am not usually a fan but snow changed the game a little. You can run a little more recklessly. We whizzed through the woods in knee deep snow, weaving through the trees. I had a huge smile on my face. We descended very quickly and finally were out of the deep snow. I quickly took off my microspikes and then kept going, dropping some fast miles (sub 6) on a nice, gentle descent all the way to the finish.

I ended up 3 woman overall with a *extra credit designation because I did the detour up to Tiger 1. So I won the * category lol.

What would you do differently?:

This was so much fun, I though I ran it well and really enjoyed myself
Post race
Warm down:

BEER

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-01-22 12:00 AM
Running
03:16:12 | 25 kms | 07m 51s  min/km
Age Group: 1/23
Overall: 12/119
Performance: Good
Course: Around the base of Tiger, up the Highschool Trail towards Poo Poo Point across the ridge and over to the TMT down into the valley then connecting to the Tiger Mountain Service Road, to West Tiger 2, then to West Tiger 3 then descending back down to the finish
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2016-01-22 4:31 PM

User image

Seattle
Subject: Tiger Mountain 25K FAT

2016-01-24 10:56 PM
in reply to: #5163088

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: RE: Tiger Mountain 25K FAT
Wow, now that's a winter trail run! Glad the soft snow allowed you to let 'er rip going down. Very impressive result, way to get that XTRA Credit W!
2016-01-25 4:36 PM

User image

Pennsylvania

This: "We whizzed through the woods in knee deep snow, weaving through the trees. I had a huge smile on my face."

Beautiful pics, too.  Don't know how you do it all - be fast, be gracious, and take great pictures in the process!

Keep it up, girl, I love hearing about your adventures!

2016-01-25 5:55 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Thanks guys! This race was so much fun! I love the vibe

2016-01-25 8:18 PM

User image

New user
Austin, Texas

Awesome!

My detours are usually accidents! Looks like a fun time

2016-01-26 11:48 AM

User image

That race sounds like a blast.  How does the extra credit work?  Do they have a volunteer on those trails or do you just tell them at the finish?

2016-01-26 1:30 PM
in reply to: Goggles Pizzano

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by Goggles Pizzano

That race sounds like a blast.  How does the extra credit work?  Do they have a volunteer on those trails or do you just tell them at the finish?

Haha yeah, that's the idea behind a race, lots of fun! And no volunteers, timing is done by hand writing in a notebook at the end. Most people know each other so they knew who did "extra credit" but more important, placing and timing aren't really that important for this type of race. It's all about fun. If someone lied about something it would be absurd, lol.
2016-01-26 1:31 PM
in reply to: trijamie

User image

Seattle
Originally posted by trijamie

Awesome!

My detours are usually accidents! Looks like a fun time

Me too, it felt nice to do one on purpose for a change
2016-01-26 4:03 PM

User image

Master
Rio Rancho, NM

Looks and sounds like a great time! Love the pix. Congrats on the win. I think the FA I ran on 1/1 did a rock or something like that for the OA male and female. I like the low-key races as well.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiger Mountain 25K FAT Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Green Mountain Athletic Association Green Mountain Marathon

Started by panzershoes
Views: 1070 Posts: 1

2011-01-21 7:51 AM panzershoes

Chequamegon Fat Tire Festival - Short and Fat

Started by Birkierunner
Views: 2357 Posts: 2

2009-09-25 11:19 AM djdavey

Ironman Arizona - Tiger Phil's Story Pages: 1 2 3

Started by Tiger Phil
Views: 7163 Posts: 74

2006-06-21 7:53 AM benihana

Tidewater Striders Distance Series 25K

Started by captantony
Views: 918 Posts: 3

2005-01-31 7:58 AM Shrike

Tiger Dash

Started by DRM
Views: 1438 Posts: 1

2004-02-23 5:07 PM DRM
RELATED ARTICLES
date : February 26, 2013
author : mikericci
comments : 0
If you are a person who feels safer on the trails rather than the road, but you still want to race, this article will help you better train.

date : May 25, 2009
author : FitWerx
I read somewhere about "bar ends" to put on your handle bars, do you recommend them? Is this similar to adding clip on aero bars?
date : June 14, 2005
author : PirateGirl
comments : 1
The XTERRA off-road triathlons consist of a lake swim, a mountain bike trail ride, and a trail run. I decided to try the AZ Xtreme Desert XTERRA Tri as my 1st off-road triathlon, and my 3rd tri ever.

date : December 13, 2004
author : kanoelani
My first experience as a triathlete and my post-season plan.
date : November 14, 2004
author : JeremyLikness
comments : 2
The next time you smell ammonia, don't worry. It doesn't mean that your muscle tissue is being broken down, and it doesn't mean that you're doomed to stink for the rest of eternity.

date : October 12, 2004
author : robinskj
A busy, fat lady gets hooked on Tri's. You can too!
date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
comments : 1
Well I said that I was not going to do it this season, but I cracked. I broke down and bought a new bike. I went out and bought a shiny new Cannondale road bike.

date : September 10, 2004
author : steve
So after about 10,000 emails, dozens of phone calls, and one pre-race pasta dinner, the 1st meeting of the Steve's in a triathlon finally arrived.