General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has your IM training come at the expense of healthy eating? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2016-01-24 6:07 AM

User image

Subject: Has your IM training come at the expense of healthy eating?
I just got the results from my annual physical and I was a bit surprised. Although I'm generally very healthy, my blood work showed that my cholesterol numbers worsened -- total cholesterol up to 211.

This surprised me because the past year involved training for (and completing) my first full IM. I trained like a madman and became thinner and fitter than ever before. So why the crappy numbers? It now occurs to me that the high-intensity training made me much more cavalier about my diet. I returned to eating sugary desserts and had plenty of cheeseburgers whenever I wanted. Why? Why not? I'd burn all of that off on my six-hour bike ride the next day or a two-hour run. At least that was my thinking at the time.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has experienced this. Seems like I wrongly believed that ridiculous levels of training and calorie-burning would make me immune from normal dietary rules. This year I'm going to turn things around.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Has your IM training come at the expense of healthy eating? Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Chemo and IM Training

Started by sthoresen
Views: 1895 Posts: 8

2013-10-16 6:29 PM sthoresen

Training for a IM with a knee injury

Started by Bigdave001
Views: 918 Posts: 5

2012-04-08 6:23 PM QueenZipp

IM training and stress fracture

Started by laurak11
Views: 1101 Posts: 3

2011-04-26 4:54 AM annabananamc

Atrial Septal Defect and IM Training

Started by phulme
Views: 910 Posts: 1

2009-09-29 9:23 PM phulme

Diet + Excercise = Healthy body You bet!

Started by clflgrl
Views: 1111 Posts: 6

2005-03-18 9:35 PM clflgrl
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 26, 2014
author : Tri Swim Coach
comments : 1
If you have ever taken a month off in swimming, this article and short training plan will get you feeling the water again and back to your original yardage.

date : November 3, 2008
author : stultzt
comments : 3
Two years ago I weighed in at a hefty 280 lbs and was a mess. Now I'm a lean 180 lbs and train daily. What a difference healthy eating, exercise, and self discipline can make!
date : April 1, 2008
author : Nancy Clark
comments : 1
Coaches and parents alike want their athletes to eat well and be healthy. The struggling athletes just want people to stop policing their eating and exercise.

date : July 10, 2007
author : IRONVIKING
comments : 0
Eating To Win, Eating To Live. A collection of heart-healthy recipes that fuels Ironman training. Also some pre-race thoughts before Ironman Coeur d’Alene.
date : June 14, 2005
author : chrisandniki
comments : 4
Solid nutrition principles for those not wanting to put a lot of thought into eating healthy.