KC Running Co.
16F / -9C
Overcast
Total Time = 21m 12s
Overall Rank = 25/712
Age Group = M45-49
Age Group Rank = 3/22
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 6:30, nice to sleep in thanks to 9:00 race starts. The race start is just a mile and a half from my house I could have just ran over there as a warmup but it was so cold that I wanted my car close to the finish so I could quickly put dry clothes on before heading into the expo. There was an all day expo put on by the KC Running Co. with deals on upcoming races and discounted gear etc.
Event warmup:

I jogged around for about 10 minutes to loosen up and stay warm. I don't recall having a road race in these cold conditions before. I saw Tim at the start line, he's 67 and can still run 20-21 minute 5K's he said he was probably good for 22 today. I told him I'd be happy with 21 or so.
Run
  • 21m 12s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 06m 49s  min/mile
Comments:

I lined up at the 7 min/mile sign and there wasn't too many between the 6's and 7's, maybe 20 total it seemed. From the start a few guys took off like a bat out of hell, sub 6 pace for sure. I settled into a slightly uncomfortable pace and figured I could hold that for at least a couple miles. I forgot the HRM at home, I would have liked to know what my HR looked like in an open 5K oh well. My garmin beeped too soon in my opinion with a first mile time of 5:28 so I knew the data wouldn't be correct by the end, garmin fail D'Oh! You can see in the map below there's a jog to the west and back as we were running south (downward on right side of map). There was no jog to the right, we simply headed south so the garmin added the little jog which was equal to at least 0.2 miles thus giving me 3.3 miles total. Not sure how that happens.

The traffic was pretty thin up where we were so I just kept motoring as good as I could. Going up the first little climb I passed a couple people, then going down, they passed me back. Then the same thing happened on the next little climb. I'd rather power up, cruise down I guess. Eventually I dropped one of the two but the other guy was hanging around.

Finally hit the two mile marker and I didn't have much in terms of reserve power so all I could was hold on. I finished as strong as I could and was just glad is was over.
What would you do differently?:

Not much, I ran to my ability.
Post race
Warm down:

Jogged to car, put dry t-shirt and hoodie on. Walked over and got my hot chocolate and bagel. Walked over to get results printout and award. There was no award ceremony, just had an awards table.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No limiters other than it was really cold. I'm just trying to get my run back. I've been doing my slow runs slower lately. Now that I'm using a HRM, I'm trying to stay in zone 2 during my easy runs which are most of them. I'm only running 3-4 times a week with only one pace or speed work run. I'm going to stay on this track and see what happens.

Event comments:

Overall a good race for February. Having the indoor expo all day on the same day is a good idea. I signed up the day before, swag was a beanie cap, nothing I'd wear but I'm sure my daughter will take it. I scored some Brooks Adrenaline GTS 15's for $75 at the expo!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-02-14 12:00 AM
Running
00:21:12 | 03.11 miles | 06m 49s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/22
Overall: 25/712
Performance: Good
Course: On road, a simple square around the neighborhood with some mild climbs, maybe 105 feet of elevation gain.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-02-14 10:08 AM

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
Subject: KC Sweetheart Run

2016-02-15 4:43 PM
in reply to: #5167096

User image

Pennsylvania
Subject: RE: KC Sweetheart Run

Speedy Reece!  Congrats on 3rd AG and a great finish overall!  I think they should've given some sort of V-day candy as prizes, too, ha!  

2016-02-16 12:28 PM
in reply to: melbo55

User image

Seattle

Great job Speed Reecer! Look at you all bundled up

I'm looking forward to your progress. I think a lot can be gained with even one quality session a week. Temperature, cold and hot, really does some into play too.

2016-02-16 2:06 PM
in reply to: Asalzwed

User image

Master
Overland Park, KS
That's what I'm hoping for Adrienne, I'm kind of enjoyed this slow running/heart rate watching kind of running. The biggest benefit is recovery time. I used to run 8:00-8:15 miles thinking that was "slow enough" but it really wasn't. Right now slow enough is averaging less than 140 bpm and fast enough will be my one maybe two speedwork sessions a week. My mini goal is to do the Corporate Challenge 5K in under 20 minutes, first week of May. We'll see what happens. I might ping you once & a while for some pointers
2016-02-17 11:42 AM
in reply to: reecealan

User image

Seattle

Any time Reecer, ping away! 

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » KC Sweetheart Run Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sweetheart Run -10K

Started by Sick Puppy
Views: 908 Posts: 1

2008-02-16 2:20 PM Sick Puppy

Sweetheart Run

Started by Mama J
Views: 966 Posts: 6

2008-02-20 10:47 AM lobo

Sweetheart Run 8k

Started by dr_evil_0818
Views: 1060 Posts: 11

2007-02-12 8:49 AM Nette213

Sweetheart Run

Started by ballyard7
Views: 964 Posts: 1

2007-02-10 10:59 AM ballyard7

Sweetheart Run

Started by desertsix
Views: 945 Posts: 1

2004-02-15 9:32 AM desertsix
RELATED ARTICLES
date : November 28, 2015
author : mikericci
comments : 2
How to prepare your body before heading out into the cold.

date : February 28, 2012
author : greggseltzer
comments : 6
Why barefoot running is not suited for the average runner.
date : October 4, 2011
author : AMSSM
comments : 8
Sports medicine doc weighs in on the pros and cons of barefoot running

date : July 29, 2011
author : alicefoeller
comments : 3
Third in a series of three articles about the basics, the niceties and the luxuries
date : July 28, 2011
comments : 0
I can train for half marathons on pavement and on trails, but as soon as I change it up to gravel or loose dirt my knee swells and the pain it causes is unreal. Any ideas why this happens?

date : February 11, 2009
At 30 to 40 minutes into my run, my foot starts to go numb. If I keep going, the foot goes totally numb.
date : July 9, 2007
author : gsmacleod
Taking the time to have your running form analyzed can help many athletes run further, faster or both!

date : April 11, 2007
author : Coach AJ
Discussion on the walk/run technique, run injury and cadence, barefoot running, staying aero on long climbs and HIM preparation