General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base Reverse Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Los Alamitos Race on the Base Reverse Triathlon - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Los Alamitos, California
United States
City of Los Alamitos
70F / 21C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 06m 55s
Overall Rank = 45/906
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 6/32
Pre-race routine:

Typically it takes a while to get into the base so we always leave early to avoid it but this year it was PACKED. I heard from one of the volunteers that there were over 5000 people participating in one of the events offered (5k, 10k, Roller-derby, Jr Triathlon, Triathlon) which explained the packed house. We parked, got our gear together and headed over to registration to get checked in and grab our shirt and bibs. Super quick and easy...in and out. Rolled over to transition and got set up.
Event warmup:

Ran about a mile and stretched and hung out. It was warming up quick and we had a small group of about 10 that were racing so there was enough smack talk and BS to go around (which lightened the mood and relaxed everyone). We got in the start chute and quickly realized we were at the very back...which would mean we would be weaving through people on the run but I really didn't care. I was surprised at the calm and looseness I felt. This is my first tri since IMAZ so that may have something to do with it. National Anthem and off we go...
Swim
  • 04m 2s
  • 200 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Started off cruising! Just as I got to the wall at 150m I FELT the effort. I haven't swam a stroke since November and I could tell. I suffered through the last 50.
What would you do differently?:

Swim a little...
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

quick in and quick out. Long run to Bike Mount line.
Bike
  • 36m 9s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 21.74 mile/hr
Comments:

Got out and got into a good rhythm. I tried to keep pushing the pace throughout. The course is just 3 loops around the runways of an airbase. The backside straight away is 5-6 miles of hammer-time. You can really get after it here.when you make the turn and head back to the west you'll run into all the competitors coming out of transition and merging onto the course. I was around 4 other dudes that were all going my speed and we had to weave our way through the slower traffic. A lot of slower cyclists hanging out in the "fast lane" and they wouldn't move even if you yelled "on your left". I felt my calves about 3/4 of the way through the 3rd loop as I turned into transition but the cramps went away as soon as I dismounted.

Maybe a little more training.
Transition 2
  • 01m 45s
Comments:

Quick and dirty
Run
  • 23m
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 25s  min/mile
Comments:

Started at the back of the chute...not ideal. Started and immediately had to weave around people. The first 1/2 mile is on a narrow street and instead of twisting/spraining/breaking an ankle or knee I just hung back until the course opened up at the tarmac. Once it opened up I hit it. My buddy and I ran together and we charged to the turn around. We passed a LOT of people and settled into a nice uncomfortable pace. We kept pushing down the tarmac and headed on to the path to transition. I think we may have topped out here because I felt like we slowed a bit. Headed into transition and off on the bike!

Start closer to the front or at least the middle...not the absolute last person to cross the start line...
Post race
Warm down:

Came out of the pool, grabbed my medal, an orange and a water and sat down to wait for everyone else.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

I have been in a funk since IMAZ. I'll train well for 2-3 weeks and then not do anything for 4 days. I have no real desire to train. It's a mental hurdle I have to figure out and deal with because I do not want to lose too much fitness trying to get my mind right.

Event comments:

This is the 6th year in a row I've done this race and I love it. I like the reverse sprint format just because it's different. Well organized race and good atmosphere.

Last updated: 2016-03-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:04:02 | 200 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 4/32
Overall: 47/906
Performance: Below average
Suit:
Course: 4 laps in 50m pool.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:36:09 | 13.1 miles | 21.74 mile/hr
Age Group: 4/32
Overall: 0/906
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: 3 loops on runway of base.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:45
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:23:00 | 03.1 miles | 07m 25s  min/mile
Age Group: 9/32
Overall: 68/906
Performance:
Course: Out a narrow street onto the runway. Straight out to the turn around. Straight back to mile 2. Run along a running path to transition.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too easy
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2016-03-03 10:47 AM

Regular
Corona
Subject: Los Alamitos Race on the Base Reverse Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Los Alamitos Race on the Base Reverse Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Los Alamitos Race on the Base Reverse Triathlon

Started by 3dhb
Views: 1058 Posts: 1

2015-04-17 5:20 PM 3dhb

Los Alamitos Race on the Base Triathlon - Reverse Tri

Started by Rancid13
Views: 1274 Posts: 1

2011-03-03 7:23 PM Rancid13

Started by amillers
Views: 1184 Posts: 2

2011-03-03 6:12 PM Rancid13

Started by bleigh311
Views: 1568 Posts: 6

2011-03-03 2:21 AM minicar

Started by SDCali
Views: 1078 Posts: 2

2011-03-03 2:30 AM minicar
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 13, 2008
author : eschmits
comments : 2
After I left the running store, I couldn't stop thinking about the sprint tri and how much of a challenge it would be for me. So instead of joining a gym, I started riding my bike and it felt great.

date : March 20, 2007
author : Team BT
comments : 0
Reverse Crunch abdominal exercise instruction with picture and video.
date : November 27, 2005
author : acbadger
comments : 2
Know that base training is not a component of training that is going to necessarily make you faster, but it will make you stronger and give you more endurance to last through the longer races.

date : October 24, 2005
author : mikericci
The schedule consists of at least 3 workouts per week in each sport, 2 days of strength training and core work too. Most weeks have 4 days of cycling. The maximum volume is around 11 hours.
date : May 16, 2005
author : AMSSM
Discussions on base training, intensity training, peaking and tapering, racing and competition and recovery and restoration.

date : April 24, 2005
If you feel your base work is adequate, then here are five areas I would recommend you can work on before your first race.
date : March 20, 2005
Now is your chance! If you want to prove that you should be training at a faster pace you can prove it by racing faster.

date : October 31, 2004
author : tmwelshy
To prevent a mental breakdown before you even get to the starting line, use the winter months to set goals, build your base, vary your workouts, cut back on training and throw in some variety.