Setup events
62F / 17C
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 39s
Overall Rank = 13/171
Age Group = Military
Age Group Rank = 2/12
Pre-race routine:

Less than ideal conditions for this race. I flew 4 hours Thursday night up to Virginia, had a meeting and flew 4 hours back Friday night. Landed in Jacksonville at 8:30pm, made it to the house about 9:15pm, on the road to Beaufort SC and arrived at midnight. Rushed to get the car unpacked and was in bed at 12:30am. Alarm went off at 6:20am. I had a bannana and larabar and some coffee. at the race got packet pickup, marking, port-a-pottee, and setup by 8:00am. Took some advocare spark, gu roctane, and anti fatigue caps.
Event warmup:

Hit a slow paced 4.5 mile bike with the wife around the non-golf course portion of the bike race, just to make sure we had good lines for the corners since the roads were slightly damp from an overnight rain.
Swim
  • 08m 42s
  • 500 yards
  • 01m 44s / 100 yards
Comments:

I messed u p my garmin 910xt to start the race but here is an exert from last years race "8:26 was true swim time, took :17 seconds to get swim skin unzipped and into transition area. " So I assume my times were very similar as my swim and transition was 1 second faster than 2015. I had talked to the guy at the pool door to help unzip my swim skin when I was exiting the pool. Based on my expected swim time I seeded myself at 1:21/100 meter which put me as 49th swimmer going off but actual results had me as the 26th fastest swim after comparing men, women, and relay teams. I passed 5 people in the first 250 meters and was passed by none. (Last year I seeded 1:30/100meter and ended up 43rd.) I swam hard for 250 meters and after all 5 passes felt gassed. I held the wall and took an extra breath at each of the remaining walls. On the last 25 meters drafted a guy in slowly instead of trying to beat him to the ladder. I was very surprised to see how well I did compared to perceived effort. The pool was mid 70's vice the normal 80+ than I have experienced the last 3 years.
What would you do differently?:

I couldn't swim practice for a major portion of the month leading up to the triathlon because the base pool heater had broken. Maybe if this happens again, I will try rowing machine or weights to compensate. I should have worn lava pants instead of the swim skin to go even faster.
Transition 1
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Got my swim skin off mostly during the long run through transition. Dunked me feet in my bucket to get all the gravel off (the parking lot is rough and the gravel hurts the feet and will stay on your shoes and the bottoms of your feet if not shaken/washed off. Put bike shoes on in transition and started running, at the line did a great running mount, clipped in and was off. I prelubed by ears and helmet with body glide since my new helmet the POC Tempor is hard to get over the ears. No issues getting it on.

51st overall about average as transitions go for me.
Bike
  • 28m 1s
  • 10.6 miles
  • 22.70 mile/hr
Comments:

Came out hard on the bike, 1st 2 miles had a headwind but was able to do 23mph@180bpm. Got through the 3 left hand turns and pushed speed to 28mph@175bpm thanks to some tailwind. On the golfcourse outbound help 23mph@177bpm due to a crossheadwind. I was passing aout 1-2 people per mile nobody close enough to leapfrog with. At the golf course turnaround I saw a guy that crashed cleaning up his bike (took the lollipop faster than conditions permitted) then saw Brad Hipp starting to close me down (he biked 1:30 faster than me), I was worried because he was 11 behind me on the swim and he had an armed forces tri suit; turned out he raced AG instead of military division. On the golf course inbound I held 24 mph@175bpm, took a gu, finished my water bottle and mentally got ready for the run.

Bike was 8 seconds faster than 2015. Push a little harder on the way back, could have got a few 1/10ths of a mph on the back half by holding HR @ 180+bpm.
Transition 2
  • 00m 59s
Comments:

Had no problems getting the POC off my head which was a huge victory. Cleaned off both feet, I pulled socks on and but on my newton MV3 shoes and was off. Overall was 50th best T2 but struggled with socks slightly.

Nothing, pretty much on par for my transitions.
Run
  • 18m 53s
  • 2.9 miles
  • 06m 31s  min/mile
Comments:

I peeled the top down of my pearl izumi octane tri suit and with the overcast conditions, the run felt hard. Mentally I was down because Brad Hipp was ahead of me and running very strong, I was worried he was in the military division and that I had already lost the race to him, but I convinced myself to suck it up and closed the gap with him at the turn. I was in need of water at the half way point and there was none like the previous 3 years. As we flipped the course the wind shifted to our backs and I began closing in on the open men and women. Steve Shenal gave me a high five as we passed. Brad and I raced side by side for a bit, at the aid station he kept going but I slowed for a drink and a dump (water was frigid and i jumped due to unexpected cold water). I was hurting bad so I did not start my closing speed like I had the year previous, holding it until the final 3 turns. The last .25 miles I held a 6 flat into the finish, very motivated by Alfred Olvetti and tried to win a felt IA but couldn't pass a guy at the finish line to make it happen.

Run was 9 seconds faster than 2015. Be better with the mental battle. Brad race AG and wasn't even real competition.
Post race
Warm down:

Immediately crossed the finish line and laid there until my HR returned to normal. Grabbed a monster rehab and a couple cookies. Cheered for my wife and 2 friends and was very social with everyone. Packed up transition and hung around for awards. Ended up finishing 2nd in military division and got a huge eagle trophy.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

limited pool time, travel the day before, and lack of sleep. Course record for me at Parris Island by 16 seconds!

Event comments:

Great race but bring the bug spray, the gnats were out in force biting hard. It was awesome Malone coaching and the US Navy. I took 2nd military division but also would have taken 2nd in 35-39 year old age group; that was special to me because our age group has a special friendly rivalry. Again I started the season off by beating my favorite competitorStephen Shenal, so it really made the training feel worth it. USAT scored the race as 85.135 for me, new record high!

Profile Album

Last updated: 2016-03-20 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:08:42 | 500 yards | 01m 44s / 100yards
Age Group: 24/12
Overall: 2/171
Performance:
Suit:
Course: 500 meter of swimming, 10 lanes of 25 meter are open and there is 2 way traffic in each lane.
Start type: Run Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Bad
Breathing: Average Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:06
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:28:01 | 10.6 miles | 22.70 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/12
Overall: 13/171
Performance: Good
HR 175bpm, cadence 104rpm, estimated power 234watts https://www.strava.com/activities/521041538
Wind:
Course: website lists ""The bike course is fast. Depending on the wind you may find a few sections of headwind and a few sections of tail wind. Either way this is a great chance to see just how fast you can go on a bike."
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 104
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:59
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:18:53 | 02.9 miles | 06m 31s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/12
Overall: 13/171
Performance: Good
average HR 177bpm 1st mile - 6:35 - 175bpm 2nd mile - 6:31 - 178bpm 3rd mile - 6:38 - 180bpm https://www.strava.com/activities/522377394
Course: The run course also is flat and fast. A very simple out and back course. All turns are marked on the pavement. The course is mostly closed to traffic.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2016-03-20 7:51 PM

User image

Saint Marys, Georgia
Subject: Parris Island Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Parris Island Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Parris Island Triathlon

Started by run4yrlif
Views: 2850 Posts: 22

2006-03-21 6:57 AM max

Parris Island Triathlon

Started by Bluejack
Views: 1976 Posts: 4

2006-03-19 9:33 AM cbost2678

Parris Island Triathlon

Started by gullahcracker
Views: 2359 Posts: 18

2006-03-27 2:23 AM bucwilson

Parris Island Triathlon Pages: 1 2

Started by southernaquagoddess
Views: 3957 Posts: 27

2006-05-04 2:40 PM dlugiwarriors

Parris Island triathlon

Started by Phoenix
Views: 1162 Posts: 6

2004-05-07 9:37 AM kgart
RELATED ARTICLES
date : August 21, 2008
author : vm354
comments : 1
How Pilates training helped a wanna-be triathlete realize the goal of completing a half-Ironman, Ironman 70.3 Rhode Island.