USAT
85F / 29C
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 42m 35s
Overall Rank = 112/373
Age Group = Clydesdale
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Let's start with Saturday. I went to pick up my packet and lo and behold they have a little scale sitting behind the table. I'm registered as a Clydesdale, so they ask me to step on. I was wearing denim shorts, completely loaded with keys, wallet, money clip and a belt, and I did not take my shoes off. I checked in at 202 lbs. Good thing I had already eaten lunch!

I drive over to the race site to check things out, and get an easy ride/run in on the course.

Saturday night is dinner with an old friend at an Italian place.

Sunday morning I am up at 4:10. Breakfast is two small bowls of corn flakes, the kind with the dried bananas, a mostly defizzed can of red bull, a Clif Bar and some Kona coffee that my brother was kind enough to brew for us both. Kinda unexpected to me, he and one of his sons are going to come to the race to watch! We are about an hour from the race site, so off we go at about 4:50 AM. He calls me on the way because he is about to run out of gas, and we have to stop for him to fill up. Sure, we're doing fine on time... All the same, I'm gonna leave you here at the gas station with a map and I'll catch up to you later.
Event warmup:

Did about a half mile of an easy run, including practicing crossing the finish line with arms held high. Drank several cups of water. Visited the port-a-john and, ah, paid my respects. Finally, I gor in the water and swam a little bit. Drank some more water leading up to the start.
Swim
  • 38m 48s
  • 1500 meters
  • 02m 35s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim was 13th of 26 Clydesdales.

After the start, there was the usual pushing, shoving, crawling and kicking. I was able to establish a rhythm pretty early on. I breathed every other stroke, and sighted every ten strokes. However, I began to notice that there were fewer and fewer swimmers around me, and every time I went to sight, my target was a little to the left. Not much, but every time it was on the left. So I am left to assume that I was swimming to the right the entire time.

About halfway through, I felt my ear peek out from under my swim cap. I flipped over and tried to fix it, only to have the other ear peek out. I have a large head, and the standard cap just doesn't cut it sometimes. After turning the last buoy, I had a bit of some cramping in my right calf, but I relaxed it and kicked easier from the hip and it disappeared.

OK, now I am on the home stretch, and I am trying to use the sun to navigate, as it appears to be behind me. Just find it in the same spot on every stroke, and I should go straight to the crowd waiting on the shore. Only thing is one of the kayak guys is right next to me. I don't think I am looking weak, so I begin to think that he has something to tell me. When I lift my head out to sight, he yells at me to go left, because of the hydrilla. Turns out that we were supposed to keep close to the buoys on our left, because I was too far right and got caught in the hydrilla just before the finish! It was like a scene from a water horror movie where the creature from the deep is trying to drag me under. I thrashed and pushed and grappled my way through, but it probably added about 30 seconds.
What would you do differently?:

Maybe I swam too easy. I guess that I did about 1600 meters with swimming off course, but that still puts my pace to be very slow. I have swum at 2:00 pace in the pool... Open water might be slower, on account of there not being any walls, but it shouldn't be 25% slower.

I finished the swim feeling great. No elevated heartrate. Maybe I could add a little effort and my time and my direction would pick up. Who knows. The good news for me is that my next race is a Half, where the swim is 29% longer and the bike and run are doubled.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

Still feeling a little frustrated over the swim, I sat down to get my shoes on instead of standing and going quickly. The insole of my left shoe (second one on) go folded up when I slid my foot in, so I had to take it off, readjust the straps and try again, only to have the tongue get screwed up. Finally got it all on, and I was on my way.

The next races on my calendar are either Half's or Full Ironman races, so I am not going to spend too much time worrying about shaving seconds in transition. But I might should consider shoes on the bike to start. I need to practice that move, though.
Bike
  • 1h 13m 21s
  • 26 miles
  • 21.27 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike leg was 5th in Clydesdales.

Nutrition: Started out quickly and slammed a energy gel, chased with water and Gatorade Endurance (GE). My plan was to take an energy gel every 30 minutes and water and GE every 15 minutes. I did not take all 28 ounces of GE as I had wished, but I got all the gels down.

Mental: I had to keep reminding myself that there was nothing I could do about the swim and focus on each pedal stroke for the rest of the race and make that the best it could be. Also watch so as not to push too hard during any portion of the bike and kill my run. You gotta know the course and the wind to make those choices and I felt like I was well prepared there.

Got into the big chainring right off the bat, and I was going to stay there for the whole first half of the first loop. I was passing several riders, while only being passed by a couple. I did the U-turn at the end of the first half and started back uphill against a slight breeze. I knew my speed was going to be less, and I had to keep reminding myself that was ok, and not to press too hard to stay above my target pace. I marked the end of the first lap, and my time was 35:57 for an average of 21.7 MPH.

I knew the wind was gathering momentum, so I resolved to take it easy on the downwind portion of the second loop. Any time I found myself gritting my teeth, I eased up and reminded my self there was plenty of race left. Coming back uphill, I turned on the effort a little bit, and finished the bike leg with an average of 21.3 MPH. My goal was 20.5 - 21.0. So I was pleased with the bike leg.

As I was coming in the home stretch, I drank a few more gulps of water and GE to try to drain the bottles and up my hydration for the run.

I thought the bike went very well. About the only thing I might change is to drink more at each draw on the bottles and drain my water and GE completely.
Transition 2
  • 01m 2s
Comments:

We were supposed to wear our race belt during the bike, so all I had to do was rack the bike, take my helmet off and put my running shoes on. Did so, then grabbed my visor and took off. Easy as pie.

Nothing. T2 was as good as I can do.
Run
  • 47m 27s
  • 6.2 miles
  • 07m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

Run split was 1st among Clydesdales!

In recent longish training runs, I always start out fast and fade throughout, so I made a concerted effort to start slow. I did the first mile in 7:40, which was maybe a little too fast, but I felt good, so I thought I would just try to hold that pace. Second mile was 7:36 and the third mile, which featured the uphill on to the dam portion of the course, was 7:53. OK, now I was feeling very strong, and I knew I had only 3.2 left, so I picked up the cadence. Next two miles were 7:45 and 7:20 and I re-passed a few of the people that had passed me earlier. I had been taking water at every aid station, (and one last gel early in the run) and took some Gatorade after about 2.5 miles. Then, just after the five mile-mark, I took one last cup of Gatorade and took maybe two sips and my body went into full revolt! My stomach was cramping severely, and also my left quad decided to start cramping a bit. Holy smokes, I almost had to stop to walk, but instead, I slowed the pace for about 300 meters until the cramps went away. Maybe halfway through the fifth mile, I felt good enough to pick up the pace again and did so, all the way to the finish.

I am guessing that I was running at 7:00 pace until my body revolted after that last drop of Gatorade. I guess the effort was too hard at that point to try to force anything more into my stomach. Lesson learned: when I am trying to run a hard pace, I need to pay attention to my body. I had felt a little bloated, but was concerned with hydration.

Not take that last hit of Gatorade. Pace was good until that point, and good thereafter.
Post race
Warm down:

Drank water and Gatorade in my jumbo finisher's cup, and ate a banana, bagel and a plum. Stood around and visited with my brother and nephew. It's always fun opening other people to this sport.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim, the swim, the swim. If I had hit my target pace, I would have been second in Clydesdales and about 75th overall. But new to the sport as I am, I have lots to learn about pacing and sighting in open water swimming. We'll get there, though.

Event comments:

Big fun for my first Olympic race. I can't wait to test myself again at even longer distances. I have 8 weeks until my Half and 37 weeks until Ironman Arizona!

Last updated: 2004-07-19 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:38:48 | 1500 meters | 02m 35s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/373
Performance: Bad
Suit: Pearl Izumi Tri Shorts
Course: Counter-clockwise triangular course. 1 loop, and it was all out in front of us and manohman did those two turn buoys look like they were too far apart! The swim took place on the north side of the lake, and what little wind there was at that time was out of the north, so the water was very calm. The only catch is that there is a bunch of nasty hydrilla about twenty feet from shore. Hydrilla is a water week that kinda resembles christmas tree branches. Yuck. The start was actually out into the water, past the wade point, so we were treading water when the horn went off.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Bad
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:13:21 | 26 miles | 21.27 mile/hr
Overall: 93/373
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Come out of the park to a main street. Then, we rode about half a mile to a turnaround, then did the entire main street as a double up and back. Basically, it was first a mostly downhill leg with a tailwind, then a mostly uphill leg with a headwind then do it all over again.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:02
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:47:27 | 06.2 miles | 07m 39s  min/mile
Overall: 90/373
Performance: Good
Course: Basically flat course. The only hill is to run from the park road up onto the top of the dam. You go up that hill in the third mile and down at the end of the fifth. Course was a two different out-and-backs completely in the park, so their was no vehicle traffic whatsoever. Also, there were seven water stations on the course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Too much
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2004-07-19 2:15 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
Subject: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon

2004-07-19 4:14 PM
in reply to: #38687

User image

Pro
St Charles, IL
Subject: RE: Ironhead Dallas Triathlon
Wow, awsome race report! I'm doing my first olympic in Sept here, so some good notes about pacing/hydration and listening to
your body.

Way to go!

-Chris
2004-07-19 5:00 PM

User image

Dallas, TX
Nice Race!

I was in the last wave on the swim, and although I swam a tad faster than you (34 min), we probably never crossed paths, as you were a little faster than me on the bike and a ton faster on the run.

I'm also a clydesdale, and I managed to end up 7th in that division - this was my first triathlon, but it seemed to run really smooth.

Are you planning on doing any other TRI's around dallas anytime soon?

~Keith
2004-07-19 5:09 PM

User image

Expert
Texarkana, TX
I'm doing the TexasMan on 12-Sep.  That's the only race that I have hard-wired into my schedule right now.
2004-07-20 12:28 AM

User image

Expert
Coeur D'alene, ID
Very, very nice race Phil! I'm a Clydesdale too and am encouraged by your times. My times in sprints are similar so maybe I can get to your point in an Oly one of these days. Strong work and a hearty congratulations!!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironhead Dallas Triathlon Rss Feed