Cutting Edge Triathlon
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 58m 52s
Overall Rank = 3/123
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 1/?
Pre-race routine:

Drove down to Champaign where my sister and brother in law live. The wife and I brought the kids and we had pizza and salad for dinner. Went to bed around 9:30. Slept terrible due to not being used to our own bed and just general noises of their house I guess? Woke up and had a bagel with peanut butter on it. A couple cups of coffee and away we went for a drive down south. Got to the event with plenty of time to get a decent transition spot. Put bike away and got my packet etc. Had everything setup and chatted a bit before going to warm up.
Event warmup:

I always get in and swim no matter what. This was an indoor pool swim followed by everything else outside(it's just to cold in april to have an outdoor swim yet). Swam probably around 2-300 meters. The pool was VERY warm which I disliked. You always swim faster in cooler water.
Swim
  • 05m 33s
  • 400 meters
  • 01m 23s / 100 meters
Comments:

Swim went alright. I was the third one in the water. I always get ansy about these seeded events. People tend to exaggerate extremely when it comes to their swim times and I was hoping I wouldn't get stuck having to pass plenty of people. Turns out I didn't have to pass any because a few of the people who put in faster times than us top swimmers must have had a look at us and got scared off or realized they made a mistake and went further back in the line. No big deal. I was touching the toes of the guy ahead of me just as we were getting ready to get out of the water, so it was nice to of gained some ground. I'm at home in a pool, so this was all very clear cut for me.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. I need to order a new pair of goggles since my right lens filled up with water right as I started. They are over a year old and I knew better!
Transition 1
  • 00m 25s
Comments:

I NEED TO WORK ON THIS MORE! I think besides the typical stuff everything went well. I mean it was only 25 seconds, it's just I think I can go faster if I practiced more.

Practice my transitions more. I can save some seconds on both of them if I did. I took forever it seemed to get into my shoes once I was riding, which means I haven't done it for almost 7 months or so...practice young padawan.
Bike
  • 33m 47s
  • 13 miles
  • 23.09 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike went ok. I took forever getting my feet into my bike shoes as I rode which I stated earlier. Need to practice that more often in a hurried atmosphere. Otherwise the course was pretty simple. There were a few hills, but I would call them more of a false flat than anything else. This is central Illinois after all. There isn't a lot of elevation gain out there! A couple spots in the road were rough here and there, but overall it was nice country backroads that had volunteers at the intersections to make sure everyone was good. Quick course I think.

The bike is by far my worst discipline. I know if I devoted the time to it I could gain another mph pretty easily I think. It's just I love to run and well...yeah I need to hit the bike workouts harder and more often.
Transition 2
  • 00m 36s
Comments:

I could have hoped off the bike quicker, but being my first tri I was taking things a little on the safe side. I need to practice my running dismounts more often to get more used to doing it. I could have ran a little faster with my bike, but felt I did ok with the speed I went. I had the bike turned around very quickly and noticed the girl who's bike was next to mine must have still been on the swim since her bike was still there, so I had to avoid that somewhat, but otherwise that went well. Shoes took me longer than I expected to get on, but I felt my left calve start to cramp for a second, so I turned my body a little to avoid that. Once they were on I took off running with my sunglasses in my mouth so I could snap my race belt on.

Practice my running dismount more and putting shoes on in grass with somewhat wet feet more often. The two guys who beat me were both faster in T2 than I was. I don't know why, but they must practice it more or didn't have trouble getting a shoe on as much as I did.
Run
  • 18m 31s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 05m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

The first mile I think I clocked in at 6:20 or so. I have been battling IT Band issues with my left knee and it didn't start to hurt/discomfort until at least 1.2 miles into it. I felt I was pushing it pretty hard as far as pace was concerned. I finally saw a guy ahead of me when I was at about 1.3 miles into it, but I knew there was to much distance to try and make up the gap. I still pushed hard for the rest of it, but I could have went harder if I had someone to chase down, or someone coming from behind, which subsequently I thought I did close to the end, but it turns out it was just a guy out running and didn't realize he was on the run course of a tri! Kind of funny...or did he :)

Wish my IT band was feeling better. It didn't like the trails and little downhills/ all the corners you had to take in that park.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around a tad. Did some quick stretches, but otherwise just talked/cheered others on. Watched my sister finish as well. She placed first in her AG and 4th female over all.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training on the bike and IT band issues with my run.

Event comments:

A good first timer race for beginners, or a great way to warm yourself up for the season. Did this race so I could get an early qualification to the AG nationals hopefully. Overall they did an excellent job keeping the event on time and awards were good as well. I won a 50 dollar gift card to a bike shop, so I guess I can technically say I have won some money from triathlon now! I gave them a four only because the run course is short by quite a bit. Otherwise great race and atmosphere afterwards as well.

Last updated: 2016-02-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:05:33 | 400 meters | 01m 23s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/?
Overall: 1/123
Performance: Good
Suit: Tri-suit
Course: Serpentine swim through and under the lane lines.
Start type: Inside Pool Plus: Time Trial
Water temp: 85F / 29C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:25
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:33:47 | 13 miles | 23.09 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/?
Overall: 4/123
Performance: Average
Wind: Some
Course: Just a stick shaped out and back. Little bit of cross wind out of the ENE, but nothing to write home about.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:36
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:18:31 | 03.1 miles | 05m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 2/?
Overall: 2/123
Performance: Good
Course: About half the course is on chipped gravel trails through a park. It isn't flat, but no extreme hills to speak of I should say. I did notice it could be very easy for people to cut the course if they wanted to bad enough. Hopefully no one did since there isn't virtually anyone in there watching! . The course was short, which kind of upsets me since it was over a 1/10 of a mile short, but I'm not sure what they could do to get that extra 1/10 back, but it should be closer to 3.1 to be legit.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2016-04-24 10:14 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Sterling
Subject: Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon Rss Feed  
RELATED POSTS

Sullivan Civic Center Triathlon

Started by m1sh4p
Views: 1462 Posts: 4

2007-05-08 8:27 AM malici

Started by malici
Views: 1259 Posts: 5

2007-05-02 3:33 PM 1 Foot The Other

Started by CKinsey
Views: 1240 Posts: 2

2007-05-01 5:31 PM oneslowdoc

Started by oneslowdoc
Views: 1596 Posts: 1

2006-05-11 2:03 PM oneslowdoc

Started by TriForrestTri
Views: 1850 Posts: 5

2006-05-04 9:14 AM luv2ride
RELATED ARTICLES
date : October 15, 2012
author : AMSSM
comments : 6
Over the past couple of months I've been waking up with a sore heel. Right in the center, it feels like I stepped on a pebble and bruised it. The pain, fairly minor, goes away as the day progresses.

date : June 30, 2009
author : FitWerx
comments : 0
Are your brakes not slowing you down enough? Are your wheels rubbing on them? This video will cover the basics on adjusting your own bicycle brakes.